Turning colder here in NE Ohio, so ...

ohiorider_imp

Been there
Thread starter
So, today was the day I opened the fuel tank caps on each of the 3 bikes, dumped in the appropriate amount of fuel stabilizer for each, replaced the caps, and while holding the front brake, rocked each bike back and forth to mix the stabilizer well.
Then it was off to the local gas station for a top off with 93 octane.

First the Guzzi, then the CB, finally the GS. Took each one after fueling for approx a 10 mile run, then home to repeat with the next bike.

The CB and GS both had their oil and filters changed within the past 200 miles. Good enough for sitting for 3-4 months until a warm day or two sneak in. The Guzzi will still need filter and oil change.

I was rushed, but it was fun going from bike to bike and getting the chance to feel the individual characteristics of each.

Battery Tenders now at the ready!

Bob
 
Commiserations, brother.
 
Thread starter
Cormanus_imp said:
Commiserations, brother.
Thanks, Cormanus!
I got back into motorcycling in 1984, and it's with mixed feelings every year. Glad I took the time to get it done, sorry the season is coming to an end.

But, hey! The next day I celebrate is December 21st. It's a psychological boost for me to know that the days will once again be getting longer.

Bob
 
I just went through the same pre-winter ritual this past weekend (4 bikes), which gave me an opportunity to ride each along an identical 8.2-mile route. After chronicling my impressions on this forum and acknowledging that my once all-time favorite bike was now a comparative let-down, I sold it! Be careful with those rituals!

To me, December 21 is the first day of summer, not winter, for the exact reason you mentioned. The days are getting longer!
 
I rode 64 miles today.Way too early to think about putting bikes up for the winter. I usually think about that Jan 2nd.
 
My riding buddies say they will ride as long as it is above freezing, until they salt/sand the roads....I'm assuming it's a friction thing. So I'd say ferret is about right.
 
I stopped winterizing bikes back in '86. The winter weather got so unpredictably mild in Toronto that I always burned down the treated tanks of fuel. Even on sub-zero days, the wind was null and the sun high and the roads dry (but the damn road salt), the bike went for a decent run. No heated garages. The past years storage was just a canvas tent that has torn from the sun's UV. Fortunately over all the years, none of the bikes rotted. The carbureted bikes, however, were harder to start stone cold. Anyway, I enjoy the option to ride in any season - even if hell'ish.
 
Thread starter
GoldOxide_imp said:
I stopped winterizing bikes back in '86. The winter weather got so unpredictably mild in Toronto that I always burned down the treated tanks of fuel. Even on sub-zero days, the wind was null and the sun high and the roads dry (but the damn road salt), the bike went for a decent run. No heated garages. The past years storage was just a canvas tent that has torn from the sun's UV. Fortunately over all the years, none of the bikes rotted. The carbureted bikes, however, were harder to start stone cold. Anyway, I enjoy the option to ride in any season - even if hell'ish.
Don't get me wrong. If we happen to have a warm day in Jan/Feb 2019, one of these bikes will be on the road. Not much to carrying some stabilizer along, and replenishing it before riding home.

Bob
 
For some stupid reason, well, maybe the 20+ reasons (i.e. years), I stopped using fuel preservative in the tank. I found that as long as the tank was topped up with reliable fresh fuel - even premium grade sometimes - prior to shacking it back to shelter, it never failed to start and run smoothly after the winter season. I once worried about gum/varnish build up, but if it happened, I never felt it. Now, I still religiously add preserve to my lawn mower 'cause I am too damn lazy to purge the tank, but I do run that carb dry.

Maybe the late model bikes - heh, I am not sure, ... '80s, '90s, 00's, and 10's model years (?) have better seals, tanks and fuel quality, not to mention fuel injection compared to '70's and older models? Possibly. I dunno. I always winterized my '76 Yami RD400. If I didn't, I paid later.
 
The ferret_imp said:
I rode 64 miles today.Way too early to think about putting bikes up for the winter. I usually think about that Jan 2nd.
And here was I thinking you never stopped riding.
 
Lol Jan and Feb get tough sometimes. I do never quit as long as the roads are clear.

The difference in temp and weather / snow accumulation where Bob lives in Ohio, is vastly different than the weather in the southern part of Ohio where I live. NO way motorcyclists in northern Ohio can ride like I do.

I'd have to look at my records but if memeory serves me I was able to ride all most all of Feb this year. Well, to put it another way, I have ridden 246 days out of 310 this year and missed 36 with a broken arm, otherwise I would be at 282 days out of a possible 310. I know last uear I rode 338 out of 365, so not a lot of days NOT riding.

Looked it up.. Missed 12 days in January and 1 in February this year. None in March, April and May.
 
Winterizing the bike is not a big day on the Ferret’s calendar.
 
Gee, i don't know ferret, no idea how you manage in the cold, i drew the line at 12c a long time ago and sunny winter days are only for short rides with frequent warm-up planned stops.

Looking at all that snow beautiful as it is reminds me at the cold days in Amsterdam, you are very adaptable and i suspect making decisions on the safe side of "maybe"; all the best from Auckland.
 
The same thing is happening up here in the northeast - winter is just over the horizon once again.
This is the latest I keep any bikes out and all were winterized and brought inside this week.
The chances of a decent riding day in November are few and not worth waiting for - and may never happen.
I'm retired and can ride anytime I wish while most of my friends still have their noses to the grindstone.
I don't feel any regret (well, maybe some :D ) by putting the bikes away now as I know next summer I'll be free to ride whenever I feel the need for speed :D
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
Lol Jan and Feb get tough sometimes. I do never quit as long as the roads are clear.

The difference in temp and weather / snow accumulation where Bob lives in Ohio, is vastly different than the weather in the southern part of Ohio where I live. NO way motorcyclists in northern Ohio can ride like I do.

I'd have to look at my records but if memeory serves me I was able to ride all most all of Feb this year. Well, to put it another way, I have ridden 246 days out of 310 this year and missed 36 with a broken arm, otherwise I would be at 282 days out of a possible 310. I know last uear I rode 338 out of 365, so not a lot of days NOT riding.

Looked it up.. Missed 12 days in January and 1 in February this year. None in March, April and May.
Yep, there's some miles between us. From Hudson Ohio to Cincinnati is approx 250 miles. But that's from NE Ohio to SW Ohio. More accurately, your riding area is about 200 miles south of me. That, plus lake effect, makes a lot of difference.

Thanks for calling out the difference between riding over 250 days a year where you live vs where I live.

Regardless, I love it. Sweet Home Ohio!!!

Bob
 
Yea, actually you only have to go about 50 miles north of me,to find the line between cold weather and really cold weather and snow most winters. The dividing line runs along I -70 thru Dayton and below Columbus. Above that bad winters with more snow, below that milder winters with less snow.

I think in SW Ohio we average 19" of snow a year, and that's usually in Jan and Feb.

I could actually ride a few more days every year than I do, except I live on a private tar/chip road that gets skim plowed (and the snow melts into the chips when the sun comes out and then it gets gets slick overnight when it freezes again) and I get stuck here for days in the winter when the public roads are all plowed and clear. If I could make it out to the main roads I could ride.
 
Our first snowfall melted, so the roads are clear. But at 34F (3C) with increasing winds of 22 MPH (36 KPH) it feels like 28F (-1C) standing still. I am sure adding 60 MPH (100 KPH) to the wind chill would make riding really unpleasant. To make sure fool hardy bikers don't try, they added a 90% chance of mixed snow and rain.

I think I will leave my CB in the garage under its dust cover and the battery on the basement shelf until the earth rights itself again.

As I suffer from Seasonal Affective Disorder (fancy medical name for the winter blues), I also look forward to December 21st. But it's a sham here as the days slowly get longer, but much colder until Valentines Day. Then there mixture of mild sunny days and snow storms until the snow finally disappears at the end of March.
 
Two years ago I bought a Gerbing heated jacket liner , this really extended my riding days in the colder weather.
Should have bought one years ago !
 
LOL 44 degrees feels like 39. rained this morning. Calling for snow flurries this evening. I just got dressed and am heading out in about 10 mins. Yes heated jacket liner, handlebar muffs and heated grips. Will only ride for an hour or so but that's all I need to feed the addiction lol.

edit: Got in 62 miles. Not a bad ride at all!
 
Back
Top