Turd on the Run

Thread starter
Great, thank you for the suggestions all.

Now, camping. Is it a first come first serve basis in the most of the parks there?
 
I'm located near Little Switzerland (between Marion and Morganton), and so I frequent the BRP, as well as the roads up and down the mountain to get there. Stichill is right on, 226A is a great twisty road. (nicknamed "The Diamondback"; shirts available!) Combine it with HWY 80, and you have a great up/down loop around Little Switzerland. 221 from Linville to Blowing Rock parallels the BRP, actually below and in front of Grandfather Mtn and the Linn Cove Aqueduct on the BRP, and has lots of twisties. All three of these roads are what I would describe as 35 +/- mph due to the challenging curves. For a little faster adventure going up/down the mountain, 181 from Morganton to Linville is a nice ride without too too much traffic. 321 from Lenoir to Blowing rock is more of a 4-lane, 55 mph climb with lots of curves. Bottom line is while I really like riding the BRP, the secondary roads here are a great option if you think the Parkway is bogged down with 30 mph sightseeing cars. Honestly though, I don't see traffic on the BRP to be a real problem until the high point of leaf-watching season in the Fall. Today was very pleasant, aside from a bit of construction slow-down.
 
Thread starter
The A-man_imp said:
I'm located near Little Switzerland (between Marion and Morganton), and so I frequent the BRP, as well as the roads up and down the mountain to get there. Stichill is right on, 226A is a great twisty road. (nicknamed "The Diamondback"; shirts available!) Combine it with HWY 80, and you have a great up/down loop around Little Switzerland. 221 from Linville to Blowing Rock parallels the BRP, actually below and in front of Grandfather Mtn and the Linn Cove Aqueduct on the BRP, and has lots of twisties. All three of these roads are what I would describe as 35 +/- mph due to the challenging curves. For a little faster adventure going up/down the mountain, 181 from Morganton to Linville is a nice ride without too too much traffic. 321 from Lenoir to Blowing rock is more of a 4-lane, 55 mph climb with lots of curves. Bottom line is while I really like riding the BRP, the secondary roads here are a great option if you think the Parkway is bogged down with 30 mph sightseeing cars. Honestly though, I don't see traffic on the BRP to be a real problem until the high point of leaf-watching season in the Fall. Today was very pleasant, aside from a bit of construction slow-down.
This is what I’m talkin about. Thanks so much man. :beerchug:
 
There is a campground near Spruce Pine right off the BRP named Bear Den. There are no signs allowed on BRP so you will have to google it (I forget the mile marker). They have primitive and camping cabins there. Nice place, I go at least yearly.

Hwy 221 from Linville to Blowing Rock cannot be missed. Low traffic, decent shape, and TWISTY. It's pretty much the reason I make the yearly trip. Linville Falls Winery is very good for NC wine too.
 
Thread starter
Been chatting with a myriad of folks about the trip, of course everyone has a suggestion for a destination that I absolutely must visit. Glacier National Park has been mentioned the most. I originally had not planned on making it that far north, but now it sounds like I better. I have a contact in Missoula and also one in northern Idaho so it would definitely be doable. What do y'all think?
 
Thread starter
We’re gettin’ close. I leave for New Mexico on Friday......

f4f72cc7764d699cdae6076e23170e36.jpg
 
Looking well set there, dbarkdoll. It’s exciting: another vicarious adventure to be had. :)
 
Thread starter
GoldOxide_imp said:
I really like the idea of that extra fuel container.
It’s really good peace of mind for sure. And I’m really happy with how the tail bag integrates with it, its a match made in heaven. Very secure and stabilized.
Frulk_imp said:
I really like the look of those soft panniers.
Thank you! They have a lot of perks. In no particular order:

They came with the bike so cost me nothing
No signal relocation necessary
Weight stays nice and centralized
They’re pretty huge
No racks necessary
Easy to mount or take back off
Good looks

Cons:

Not waterproof (I use dry bags with them which makes packing easier anyway so not really a con at all)
No racks so I found it necessary to fab up some janky bag supports off of the passenger peg mounts. Will post a pic here at some point.
Not lockable but that’s very low on my priority list really
Cormanus_imp said:
Looking well set there, dbarkdoll. It’s exciting: another vicarious adventure to be had. :)
Saddle up! :D
 
Thread starter
So Imgur has just made it very difficult to copy photos to here so unless I find a different photo hosting site I probably won’t be posting many pics on here. And for the sake of simplicity of just having one RR on one forum I will probably just leave a link for my other one here and whoever is welcome to follow along there. I’ve always found posting photos and using this site on my phone to be very clunky as well, unfortunately. I’m not going anywhere just letting y’all know that I’ll very likely be posting more stuff on this thread:


Turd on the Run
 
dbarkdoll_imp said:
So Imgur has just made it very difficult to copy photos to here so unless I find a different photo hosting site I probably won’t be posting many pics on here. And for the sake of simplicity of just having one RR on one forum I will probably just leave a link for my other one here and whoever is welcome to follow along there. I’ve always found posting photos and using this site on my phone to be very clunky as well, unfortunately. I’m not going anywhere just letting y’all know that I’ll very likely be posting more stuff on this thread:


Turd on the Run
Interesting...from your phone / computer or both? I've never had any difficulty with Imgur uploading to this site.

dbarkdoll_imp said:
So Imgur has just made it very difficult to copy photos to here so unless I find a different photo hosting site I probably won’t be posting many pics on here. And for the sake of simplicity of just having one RR on one forum I will probably just leave a link for my other one here and whoever is welcome to follow along there. I’ve always found posting photos and using this site on my phone to be very clunky as well, unfortunately. I’m not going anywhere just letting y’all know that I’ll very likely be posting more stuff on this thread:


Turd on the Run
It is fun to post cb1100 trips on advrider because the audience is different. For cb forum members, should we comment / ask questions at advrider or here?
 
Back
Top