True Confessions of CB1100 Riders

I haven't read all the confessions, so maybe that's a confession unto itself, but here's mine:

I always try to park my CB in a place that I think will look good if I were to take a picture....even when I don't have a camera on hand.
 
Ridem32_imp said:
NOTE: how to fuel up a CB1100 pull up to pump make sure everyone is watching! Be cool stay cool! Put bike on center stand! Unlock cap with out getting finger prints on gas cap. & tank! Remove nozzle from pump select highest grade! Put nozzle in tank! Pump slow and relax everyone is staring at your bike! Keep your good eye in the hole! Fill her up to the bream! Cut pump off get the last drop out of nozzle! Put your hand under the nozzle and replace back in pump! Close gas cap! Reset trip meter! Glance around for the last time to see how many are watching you! Act tuff as you push bike off of center stand and drive off with a big grin!
THE END !!
I pull up right next to the pump and remain seated on the bike. I'll remove my gloves and place them on my gauges. When I pump gas, I'll only really crank it for the first half of the fill or so with the nozzle stuck down pretty far in the tank. Then I throttle back the pump speed and place the nozzle just low enough in the tank so that the auto shutoff kicks in before over-filling occurs. I'll usually pump just a bit more gas and then I'll reach over and click the pump switch with my free hand. Then I can squeeze out the last few drops of remaining gas from the hose and return the nozzle to the pump — drip free.
 
Guth_imp said:
Ridem32_imp said:
NOTE: how to fuel up a CB1100 pull up to pump make sure everyone is watching! Be cool stay cool! Put bike on center stand! Unlock cap with out getting finger prints on gas cap. & tank! Remove nozzle from pump select highest grade! Put nozzle in tank! Pump slow and relax everyone is staring at your bike! Keep your good eye in the hole! Fill her up to the bream! Cut pump off get the last drop out of nozzle! Put your hand under the nozzle and replace back in pump! Close gas cap! Reset trip meter! Glance around for the last time to see how many are watching you! Act tuff as you push bike off of center stand and drive off with a big grin!
THE END !!
I pull up right next to the pump and remain seated on the bike. I'll remove my gloves and place them on my gauges. When I pump gas, I'll only really crank it for the first half of the fill or so with the nozzle stuck down pretty far in the tank. Then I throttle back the pump speed and place the nozzle just low enough in the tank so that the auto shutoff kicks in before over-filling occurs. I'll usually pump just a bit more gas and then I'll reach over and click the pump switch with my free hand. Then I can squeeze out the last few drops of remaining gas from the hose and return the nozzle to the pump — drip free.
I tried that one day except I took my helmet off as well. Sitting astride the bike I tried to get the pump to work, but it wouldn't. Soon after a voice came over a loudspeaker telling me to get off the bike if I wanted petrol. Apparently the chap was terrified I'd do a runner not paying for the petrol.
 
Mate, I never sit on the bike and pump petrol. I have seen the result of one bowser mishap and it left an indelible memory. I sort of imagine that the inside of the legs and the wedding tackle would get very hot before, mercifully, death occurred.

Cheers
 
Ridem32_imp said:
Lol cormanus are you at outlaw? :)
I always thought of myself as tediously law abiding and totally non threatening. The dude at the servo had a different idea apparently.

Pterodactyl has a good point, though. It give a different meaning to being aboard a crotch rocket. :D
 
Yeh, bloke up in NQ cooked his wife and a dog. Probably a static discharge, they never found out. Poor bugger never got over losing the dog.

Cheers
 
Pterodactyl_imp said:
Mate, I never sit on the bike and pump petrol. I have seen the result of one bowser mishap and it left an indelible memory. I sort of imagine that the inside of the legs and the wedding tackle would get very hot before, mercifully, death occurred.

Cheers
+1 Sitting on the bike whilst fueling is NOT a good plan. You need to be off the motorcycle where you can get the job done smoothly and jump out of the way if she blows or there's a fuel spill.

It's really sort of like texting and driving; "Seemed like a good idea at the time."
 
Well I confess I am guilty of setting on bike and filling up with gas. I do understand if gas hits the hot motor or exhaust it would be very bad so I'm not telling anyone else to do it. Always be safe :)
 
Red Mist_imp said:
Pterodactyl_imp said:
Mate, I never sit on the bike and pump petrol. I have seen the result of one bowser mishap and it left an indelible memory. I sort of imagine that the inside of the legs and the wedding tackle would get very hot before, mercifully, death occurred.

Cheers
+1 Sitting on the bike whilst fueling is NOT a good plan. You need to be off the motorcycle where you can get the job done smoothly and jump out of the way if she blows or there's a fuel spill.

It's really sort of like texting and driving; "Seemed like a good idea at the time."
+1 Sitting on the bike whilst fueling is NOT a good plan. You need to be off the motorcycle where you can get the job done smoothly and jump out of the way if she blows or there's a fuel spill.

It's really sort of like texting and driving; "Seemed like a good idea at the time." +1

Always off the bike on centerstand with bike facing up if there's any type of grade (get those last few drops) when you think its full its not, you can always get .2 or .3 more in the tank without filling the neck. That's a extra 15 miles. Crazy just my insanity:excited:
 
I'll keep filling it from the seat. I see any advantage of being off the bike in case of a fire is more than offset by being in a better position to safely fill, and not overfill, the tank and avoid a fire in the first place. Thanks for the tip, though--probably a good one for those who can't flat-foot their CB.
 
Ridem32_imp said:
Well I confess I am guilty of setting on bike and filling up with gas. I do understand if gas hits the hot motor or exhaust it would be very bad so I'm not telling anyone else to do it. Always be safe :)
Yes, I believe that's sorta the point of this thread. ;)
 
Well, my confession is doing the store-front-window-gaze as I ride by, or the good ol' over-the-shoulder-glance as you walk away from it...

As for filling up, here in SoCal we've got those infamous CARB nozzles, so a mess is nearly guaranteed. What a pain. I learned years ago that wrapping a paper towel around the end of the nozzle helps catch spray while you're filling (you have to pull back the rubber cover - we used to call it "the foreskin", LOL - on these nozzles to trick it into thinking it's sealing against the fuel filler hole to catch all the escaping vapours so it will allow the gas to flow), and any drips when you're done and returning the nozzle to the pump.
And yes, you're right - all of that does sound rather sexual, doesn't it? :D
 
With the CARB nozzles, I just shove it on the tank and pump away for about 2.25-2.5 gallons. If it gets much over 2.5 it always auto shuts off for me. If any mores going in I assume I'm about to make a mess. I cannot get a good medium flow out of those things, it's either full blast or a drizzle. If I eyeball the whole way with those things I'm either spraying drops all over the place or letting half the gas evaporate...
 
They suck.....plain and simple.
 
Could someone maybe fab up some sort of adapter funnel to mesh with the CARB nozzle? Or would it detect the open air at the other end, defeating the purpose?
 
Back
Top