True Confessions of CB1100 Riders

I confess my headers still look new on both my deluxe models :). I also I just confess I just notice that the brake petal & shifter are chrome. Are the 13 models chrome?
 
Do the spots come from moisture (i.e. rain)? My headers don't have spots. They are just a slightly darker golden shade than when they were new.

One thing I noticed that I haven't seen on other bikes here is some heat discoloration on the muffler in the area right behind the cat. I think it may have to do with riding around town in 100F+ heat. Any other desert dwellers seeing this?
 
Flynrider_imp said:
Do the spots come from moisture (i.e. rain)? My headers don't have spots. They are just a slightly darker golden shade than when they were new.

One thing I noticed that I haven't seen on other bikes here is some heat discoloration on the muffler in the area right behind the cat. I think it may have to do with riding around town in 100F+ heat. Any other desert dwellers seeing this?
Well, mine has never been out in rain, so it can't be that. But it is humid here most of the time, so can't rule that out...
 
HikerToo_imp said:
OK......I like to look at my reflection in store windows as I ride my CB down our town's Main Street....but not so much that anyone sees me looking.
It's the same Main Street I used to drive my 66 Chevy II down 36 years ago......and one of the first real sport bikes in town, my 86 Ninja.
I do the same thing...LOL. Love looking at the bike in the reflection.
 
I have a confession to make now, unfortunately. On the way down to the dealer to have the first service done I was running late but needed to stop for gas. Rushing to fill the tank I did it too fast and a very large amount came splashing out as it got too full. Gas all over my tank, running down over the engine, puddling up on the concrete under the bike - what a mess. I'm usually so careful not to do things like this, but, you know, stuff happens. :blush:
 
Hey, at least it didn't catch on fire! AND, now you have a valid excuse to wax the tank instead of just waxing it because you just want too ;)
 
I did hold my breath when I saw the gas pouring over that hot engine! It evaporated pretty quickly though, thank goodness.
 
shysue2_imp said:
I have a confession to make now, unfortunately. On the way down to the dealer to have the first service done I was running late but needed to stop for gas. Rushing to fill the tank I did it too fast and a very large amount came splashing out as it got too full. Gas all over my tank, running down over the engine, puddling up on the concrete under the bike - what a mess. I'm usually so careful not to do things like this, but, you know, stuff happens. :blush:
Same thing happened to me. I've been riding more than 30 years and have owned over 50 motorcycles. The CB1100's filler is not as well-designed as we might like, and when paired with a high-flow nozzle it can do this. I'm always very careful when filling this bike now. What happened is that the auto-shutoff did not trigger on the fuel nozzle as it would on my other bikes. It fills very quickly, especially when it gets nearer the top of the tank. One spark and it would have been an insurance claim after one day of ownership.
 
I'm surprised Red Mist....would never think about using the gas pumps auto shut off on my motorcycle.....I watch it flow in the entire time.
 
NOTE: how to fuel up a CB1100 pull up to pump make sure everyone is watching! Be cool stay cool! Put bike on center stand! Unlock cap with out getting finger prints on gas cap. & tank! Remove nozzle from pump select highest grade! Put nozzle in tank! Pump slow and relax everyone is staring at your bike! Keep your good eye in the hole! Fill her up to the bream! Cut pump off get the last drop out of nozzle! Put your hand under the nozzle and replace back in pump! Close gas cap! Reset trip meter! Glance around for the last time to see how many are watching you! Act tuff as you push bike off of center stand and drive off with a big grin!
THE END !!
 
High test (do we still use that term?), side stand (really...putting her up on the center stand to buy gas?), and feathering the pump from start to finish so not a drop gets spilled on the tank. That's how it's done! At least by me... :D
 
I've just been using regular gas in my bike, per the owner's manual. The service guy at the dealership tried to tell me to use premium in the bike. Buy why? I don't think it's going to make the bike run any better, is it? He also told me to overinflate my tires, 2 to 3 lbs. more than what it says on the sidewall of the tire. Why? I thought that was kind of weird of him to tell me that.
 
HikerToo_imp said:
I'm surprised Red Mist....would never think about using the gas pumps auto shut off on my motorcycle.....I watch it flow in the entire time.
Ever used a CARB nozzle? It's a two-handed process and real hard to see into the tank. The Honda doesn't like CARB nozzles. Few bikes do, but I find I can tank up my F700GS car-style. Once is enough with the Honda, I keep it to a fast trickle and watch the meter, too. It's never happened since.
 
I always burn the highest grade premium and I buy non ethanol when I buy near my house sometimes on the road I have to buy just regular premium gas but I hate ethanol gas. I always use non ethanol in my lawnmower and weed eater and chain saws
 
Ridem32_imp said:
NOTE: how to fuel up a CB1100 pull up to pump make sure everyone is watching! Be cool stay cool! Put bike on center stand! Unlock cap with out getting finger prints on gas cap. & tank! Remove nozzle from pump select highest grade! Put nozzle in tank! Pump slow and relax everyone is staring at your bike! Keep your good eye in the hole! Fill her up to the bream! Cut pump off get the last drop out of nozzle! Put your hand under the nozzle and replace back in pump! Close gas cap! Reset trip meter! Glance around for the last time to see how many are watching you! Act tuff as you push bike off of center stand and drive off with a big grin!
THE END !!
Agreed, but my bike doesn't have a centerstand (I took it off and use a race stand), and I always drive off with a big scowl. However I do use premium. You don't have to according to the manual, though. But I'm fast, so I need High Test, er, Ethyl.
Ridem32_imp said:
I always burn the highest grade premium and I buy non ethanol when I buy near my house sometimes on the road I have to buy just regular premium gas but I hate ethanol gas. I always use non ethanol in my lawnmower and weed eater and chain saws
+1 you never know when you may need a chainsaw to start real quick
 
Back
Top