True Confessions of CB1100 Riders

Greg_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
The CB1100 Forum is long overdue for a true confessions thread.

Airing your (motorcycling) dirty laundry in public is good for the soul. Unburdening yourself is freeing and empowering. After telling all you'll be shifting above 4k rpms, grinding those 2" chicken strips off your tires, maybe even floating the front tire when you think no one else is watching!

This is NOT the place to mutter about accidents or mistakes, what we're talking here is that thing you do on purpose even though you hope know one else ever finds out about it.

This is your opportunity to lose the shame of doing you-know-what, that thing you do in spite of the last 3 new year's resolutions.

Just remember, we're laughing at you, not with you!

(motorcycling related only - not that letter you always wanted to write to Penthouse)
I’ll go first.

You know those little rubber thingies that stick out all over new tires, even though they used to not? They’re called tire quills and the tire makers leave them on because people think “new tire” when they see them.

Except for me. I hate those things. My rear tire had 328 of them, not sure how many the front had because I got tired of counting.

That’s right, “had” because the other night when it was raining I used a sharp pair of wire cutters to cut them all off. Really cleaned up the bike!




Okay, I confess ... it wasn't raining. OKAY?
 
" Just remember, we're laughing at you, not with you!"

:rofl: Got that right!

Never seen anyone do that before
 
OK......I like to look at my reflection in store windows as I ride my CB down our town's Main Street....but not so much that anyone sees me looking.
It's the same Main Street I used to drive my 66 Chevy II down 36 years ago......and one of the first real sport bikes in town, my 86 Ninja.
 
I have to confess that one night in a hurry to a club meeting I had to stop for a refuel.All the pumps bar the last one were out of order. Last one had BP ultimate on it but after about 5 litres of fuel I realised it was diesel. So after a wait for my daughter to turn up with a jerry can and a hose we discovered that the hose would not fit down into the tank. Off with the tank, remove fuel pump and drain into the garden at the supermarket next door. In the process of shaking the remains of the fuel from the tank it slipped out of my hands and fell on the concrete gutter. I now have a small dent (hardly noticable) on the left front.
 
Sometimes on a sleepless night I'll get out of bed, go out to the garage and stare at my bike. Next thing you know I'm polishing the tank and fenders with Honda Polish, checking chain tension, oil level, tire pressure.......
 
Some years ago I was on a 500cc Suzuki and was just leaving a club meeting. I was about to pull away when another club member began a conversation with me that went on for quite a while. My air-cooled engine was still running and getting hot so I shut it off and leaned the bike over on the side stand - which was up of course. Down I went, but not too hard doing only minor damage.
My "buddies" all laughed, but did help me up :P
 
I had to develop an acronym to gear up in the right order. It's KEHG (pronounced "keg"). Key in, earplugs in, helmet on, gloves on. Ever try to strap your helmet on after you've put your gloves on? Or fish your key out of your pocket? Also, how many times have you put your lid on just to remember that you forgot earplugs?

So, it's KEHG and go!
 
ok.. I sometimes get all geared up, ready to go, climb on the bike and reach up for the ignition key which is still in my right pocket, which means I have to get back off the bike, unzip my right jacket sleeve, remove right glove, get key out of pocket, put right glove back on, zip right jacket sleeve, get back on bike and put ignition key in bike.

the other day I got all geared up, remembering the ignition key, took off down the road and made it about 5 miles before I realized I couldn't see too well. reached up into my full face helmet to adjust my glasses, which of course were back in the garage where I laid them so that I could put on the full face helmet
 
My first bike after 25 years was a 2008 Suzuki GS500F. With barely 100 miles on the odometer, I made a shaky left turn in my yard and unceremoniously dropped it. The 3 mph crash pushed the left front turn signal through the fairing. Not an auspicious restart to motorcycling. Not one week later it was time for 600 mile service. I told myself not to crash, “you won’t crash”, as I prepared to ride up a ramp onto a flat trailer. And of course I stalled it 3/4th of the way up the ramp and came crashing down, this time with a few scratches to the engine case, mirror and exhaust pipe.
 
Went to a Moto Guzzi Enduro rally in Nevada few years back. On the return trip, at one of the gas stops (finding open gas stations in Nevada with a bike that tops out at 170 miles can be a stressor!) I pull up, put the side stand down, shut down the bike and go to undo my helmet strap - and it's already undone. Never the helmet strap at the last gas up.

I try real hard to remember that now.
 
The ferret_imp said:
ok.. I sometimes get all geared up, ready to go, climb on the bike and reach up for the ignition key which is still in my right pocket, which means I have to get back off the bike, unzip my right jacket sleeve, remove right glove, get key out of pocket, put right glove back on, zip right jacket sleeve, get back on bike and put ignition key in bike.

the other day I got all geared up, remembering the ignition key, took off down the road and made it about 5 miles before I realized I couldn't see too well. reached up into my full face helmet to adjust my glasses, which of course were back in the garage where I laid them so that I could put on the full face helmet
Too funny, I did that this morning. All geared up, went to pull out of the garage and I was like, Hey why are the gages blurry. Left my glasses on the kitchen table.:rolleyes:
 
Sometimes I put off errands where my wife might want to ride along so that I can ride solo. Shhhhhh... she is right on the other side of the desk.
 
CB4ME_imp said:
My first bike after 25 years was a 2008 Suzuki GS500F. With barely 100 miles on the odometer, I made a shaky left turn in my yard and unceremoniously dropped it. The 3 mph crash pushed the left front turn signal through the fairing. Not an auspicious restart to motorcycling. Not one week later it was time for 600 mile service. I told myself not to crash, “you won’t crash”, as I prepared to ride up a ramp onto a flat trailer. And of course I stalled it 3/4th of the way up the ramp and came crashing down, this time with a few scratches to the engine case, mirror and exhaust pipe.
This has been one of those "nightmare thoughts" in the back of my head for years. I hope I never join the club...sorry you had to!
 
For better or worse, my commute is the highlight of my working day. There is a spot on my route to the office – a seam in the asphalt that rises up where two streets cross each other. This is located right after I come around a corner. Sometimes when I know the coast is clear, I'll go ahead an build up a bit more speed than usual coming out of the turn and blip the throttle right as I hit the bump in the road surface — just enough to get both wheels off of the ground. I might get 2" of air, but in my mind I'm clearing a triple jump at speed, reaching insane heights rarely seen. In reality I'm sure that I look like the biggest dork in town. But hey, it's a nice break from reality and keeps me entertained.
 
I always do 65 on the freeway......uh huh...yeah, sure.



I have some ocean front property in Arizona to sell you too. :P
 
Back
Top