Trouble With Shifting From 1st to 2nd & 2nd to 1st

goldeneye_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Hey guys, I need some help. I just got back from a ride tonight and something happened when I was on my way back. At a stoplight, I had trouble going from 2nd gear to 1st. The trouble was that I pressed the shifter all the way down, but it only went to N, no further. As I continued home, I found that the motorcycle also had trouble going from 1st to 2nd gear when I pressed the shifter all the way up. Between 1st and 2nd, the transmssion stops at N. Even when I try hitting the shifter again, it doesn't move into 1st or 2nd for 1-3 times before it finally shifts. The motorcycle is a 2013 Honda CB1100 still under warranty. I has 1,700 miles on it. The clutch fluid/brake fluid was normal. I also checked the shifter and it seemed fine, not loose or anything. I couldn't check the engine oil because it was still hot and hadn't settled. What do you suggest I do?
 
Check and make sure the shifter linkage didn't come lose and out of adjustment.

It can happen. It's THE ONLY fastener that's loosened up on my bike - the locknut on the shifter linkage. If it gets way out of adjustment you maybe won't be able to slap the lever down far enough to get past N and into first.

Other than that...if it's under warranty, let Honda deal with it, as said above.
 
Were you wearing different than normal footwear? Were you shifting gingerly or with authority? Did it happen evey time or just one time? i suspect rider error.
 
Had a similar problem with mine after I removed the shift lever. It wouldn't shift up into second and stayed in neutral on the down shift. Found out that I had put the lever back on one tooth out on the spline. There is an alignment mark on the shaft and the lever. Once I realigned it all was good.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Were you wearing different than normal footwear? Were you shifting gingerly or with authority? Did it happen evey time or just one time? i suspect rider error.
I agree, not trying to bash you but that's usually the case. If you're stopped in any other gear besides 1st you will have trouble going into first and it's not because there's something wrong with the bike, it's the "nature of the beast." Bike transmissions aren't made like car transmissions, they need to be moving in order to shift.
 
I had that problem one evening when I wore shoes riding home from work instead of my boots. Being a previous BMW rider and knowing all the interesting shifting issues I had with those bikes, I put the bike in neutral let the clutch out and shifted again and it was fine. I do have some issues when I am not riding with my boots I think because of the height of my boots compared to shoes.
 
mininsx_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Were you wearing different than normal footwear? Were you shifting gingerly or with authority? Did it happen evey time or just one time? i suspect rider error.
I agree, not trying to bash you but that's usually the case. If you're stopped in any other gear besides 1st you will have trouble going into first and it's not because there's something wrong with the bike, it's the "nature of the beast." Bike transmissions aren't made like car transmissions, they need to be moving in order to shift.
+1 If you're not moving, or you're moving very slowly, you may not be able to complete the shift. The CB11 seems to be a little more sensitive in this respect. Where my CB750 can easily shift when rolling at 5 mph or less, the CB11 seems to need to be moving a bit faster.
 
Thread starter
mininsx_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Were you wearing different than normal footwear? Were you shifting gingerly or with authority? Did it happen evey time or just one time? i suspect rider error.
I agree, not trying to bash you but that's usually the case. If you're stopped in any other gear besides 1st you will have trouble going into first and it's not because there's something wrong with the bike, it's the "nature of the beast." Bike transmissions aren't made like car transmissions, they need to be moving in order to shift.
I agree, not trying to bash you but that's usually the case. If you're stopped in any other gear besides 1st you will have trouble going into first and it's not because there's something wrong with the bike, it's the "nature of the beast." Bike transmissions aren't made like car transmissions, they need to be moving in order to shift.

Flynrider_imp said:
mininsx_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Were you wearing different than normal footwear? Were you shifting gingerly or with authority? Did it happen evey time or just one time? i suspect rider error.
I agree, not trying to bash you but that's usually the case. If you're stopped in any other gear besides 1st you will have trouble going into first and it's not because there's something wrong with the bike, it's the "nature of the beast." Bike transmissions aren't made like car transmissions, they need to be moving in order to shift.
+1 If you're not moving, or you're moving very slowly, you may not be able to complete the shift. The CB11 seems to be a little more sensitive in this respect. Where my CB750 can easily shift when rolling at 5 mph or less, the CB11 seems to need to be moving a bit faster.
+1 If you're not moving, or you're moving very slowly, you may not be able to complete the shift. The CB11 seems to be a little more sensitive in this respect. Where my CB750 can easily shift when rolling at 5 mph or less, the CB11 seems to need to be moving a bit faster.
This is what I was hoping to hear about my problem. In case you're wondering though, I was wearing the same boots that I normally wear and it did happen to me multiple times on the way home multiple instances at the same stop. Thanks for the help guys.
 
Others helped me with this, too. I was having the same challenges (and still do, now and then) but once I understood what was going on, I was able to think ahead and shift better. When it gets stuck and I'm not moving, I let the clutch out just a bit, until it just starts to engage, and then pull it back in and shift. Works every time. Good luck!
 
That clutch thing is what we all have to do every now and then. Always works for me! :)
 
I had the same problem when I first started riding the bike. I found I needed to remove all pressure on the shift lever between shifts (down or up). If I maintained some pressure on the shift lever after a shift, it would not go into the next gear (up or down). I have big feet and wear red wing pecos boots so there's little room for error in my case.
 
I had the same shift problem once when I went out not wearing boots. The top of my sneakers would crush and I would sense that feeling as my foot was raising and hence, moving the shifter when, of course it wasn't yet. Had to think about using much more upward pressure.

Also remember that the issue could be on the other end- the clutch lever. Could be our carpal tunnel, arthritis, or just plain hand fatigue from some stop and go riding and all of a sudden we're not pulling it in far enough.
 
Flynrider_imp said:
mininsx_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Were you wearing different than normal footwear? Were you shifting gingerly or with authority? Did it happen evey time or just one time? i suspect rider error.
I agree, not trying to bash you but that's usually the case. If you're stopped in any other gear besides 1st you will have trouble going into first and it's not because there's something wrong with the bike, it's the "nature of the beast." Bike transmissions aren't made like car transmissions, they need to be moving in order to shift.
+1 If you're not moving, or you're moving very slowly, you may not be able to complete the shift. The CB11 seems to be a little more sensitive in this respect. Where my CB750 can easily shift when rolling at 5 mph or less, the CB11 seems to need to be moving a bit faster.
+1 If you're not moving, or you're moving very slowly, you may not be able to complete the shift. The CB11 seems to be a little more sensitive in this respect. Where my CB750 can easily shift when rolling at 5 mph or less, the CB11 seems to need to be moving a bit faster.


The shift lever is adjustable up and down, maybe that's all you need to do. I usually don't have to adjust it, but with one bike I had a while back I couldn't seem to shift smoothly and I adjusted the shift lever just a little and that was all it took. There's two locknuts on the shaft, one of which is "backwards" (left-hand) threaded.
 
Shifter causes shift pawls to grab pins in shift drum. This rotates drum and that is what changes gears. The rod between shifter and splined shaft that rotates and works shift pawls is only adjustment point. As has been pointed out, rod is threaded and has locknuts (M6) on both ends with one having left handed thread. Try to loosen both with 10mm open end wrench and back off nut that loosens. Also back off other nut turning clockwise. Normally one side is used for adjustment. Wrap a piece of old inner tube around threaded rod and turn rod about 1.5 turns and check shifter function. You may have to play with adjustment but no more than about two full turns from where you started. Blue Loctite nuts when you are adjusted and are snugging them down.

Sent from my HTC Desire Eye using Tapatalk
 
Back
Top