Trouble starting my CB when I when I use the on/ off button to shut of My CB. I

calipo223_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Hello. Has anyone had this issue. If I turn the on/ off switch off to shut off my CB it’s hard to start back up when I hit the starter button. The battery/ alternator light is on as well until the CB runs a bit. It seems I’m lucky my CB turns over. If I turn off my CB with My key and leave the on/off button on My CB starts right up, no battery/ alternator light on. The 2 clip wires are attached in that area. Thanks I advance for any help. Calipo223
 
Can't explain the difference but I never use the on/off switch. I just leave it on. After hearing stories of them failing I figure why tempt fate?
 
If you're only experiencing this problem when you use the kill switch, and it doesn't occur when you use the key, or when the engine is cut off by the side stand switch, then the first thing I'd do is disassemble the kill switch and clean the contacts to see if that eliminates the problem.
 
I have exclusively used my killswitch since I bought my CB1100 8k miles ago and haven't ran into this issue.

Just some reassurance that this didn't break your bike. I agree with Gi60 that a closer look at the switch itself may be warranted. Maybe start by having the health of the battery checked since that's easiest.
 
there has been a history of issues with that switch on this board going back to 2013 or 14. Sometimes just cycling it off and off a bunch of times has fixed it (temporarily I imagine) but taking it apart and cleaning I believe was the fix.
 
I have the same issue with my hazard lights. I never have a cause to use them, so sometimes when I switch them on to test them, only one side comes on. If I cycle the switch a bunch of times, they'll both start to work.
 
The kill switch on my CB was so sensitive that it would kill the engine if even lightly touched. I have always detested these totally useless devices, a common source of problems.
 
Does sound like the kill-switch issue, I've notice people have had to mitigate those occasionally on the CB. Personally never had that problem, but I can see how it can be unnerving.

And I agree - they are probably redundant - and there are most likely better ways to switch the bike off, but for whatever reason they stuck, and are likely to remain.

Recently I was coming home from a long ride, going about 90 on a highway I was passing through a windy portion of the road and wanted to get into a bit more of a tuck, as I went down I noticed that my right bar-end mirror was pointing at the sky so as I reached over with my left hand to adjust it I accidentally hit the kill switch and the bike went dead, it took a split second to understand what's going on (it felt like a year, the feeling of getting cut at the waist and losing my ground sort of like when an airplane suddenly drops, pins and needles, cold sweat and chills), figured it out, knocked it back into ON and bike just bumpstarted itself and kept going like nothing ever happened, nonetheless - I blame the kill-switch lol

'14 CB1100 STD 5 speed
 
tod.branko_imp said:
Does sound like the kill-switch issue, I've notice people have had to mitigate those occasionally on the CB. Personally never had that problem, but I can see how it can be unnerving.

And I agree - they are probably redundant - and there are most likely better ways to switch the bike off, but for whatever reason they stuck, and are likely to remain.

Recently I was coming home from a long ride, going about 90 on a highway I was passing through a windy portion of the road and wanted to get into a bit more of a tuck, as I went down I noticed that my right bar-end mirror was pointing at the sky so as I reached over with my left hand to adjust it I accidentally hit the kill switch and the bike went dead, it took a split second to understand what's going on (it felt like a year, the feeling of getting cut at the waist and losing my ground sort of like when an airplane suddenly drops, pins and needles, cold sweat and chills), figured it out, knocked it back into ON and bike just bumpstarted itself and kept going like nothing ever happened, nonetheless - I blame the kill-switch lol

'14 CB1100 STD 5 speed
Yeah, the kill switch is there for accident safety, and not just for the rider, but for anyone rushing to help the fallen.

I have hit the kill switch too while riding and just flipped it back on to bump start the bike in-flight. Not very exciting and a dull inconvenience. :dodgy:

Maybe a future evolution will be to reliably utilize the IMU to signal a downed rider and kill the engine. I believe this is being done now by some manufacturers, but is not standardized.
 
On my 2020 Triumph Speedmaster the manual instructions tell you to turn the key off first for some reason . So that’s what I do . On the CB I always use the kill switch , and never experienced an issue. I agree with the others ,inspect the switch,clean with some contact cleaner , apply some dielectric grease .
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
tod.branko_imp said:
Does sound like the kill-switch issue, I've notice people have had to mitigate those occasionally on the CB. Personally never had that problem, but I can see how it can be unnerving.

And I agree - they are probably redundant - and there are most likely better ways to switch the bike off, but for whatever reason they stuck, and are likely to remain.

Recently I was coming home from a long ride, going about 90 on a highway I was passing through a windy portion of the road and wanted to get into a bit more of a tuck, as I went down I noticed that my right bar-end mirror was pointing at the sky so as I reached over with my left hand to adjust it I accidentally hit the kill switch and the bike went dead, it took a split second to understand what's going on (it felt like a year, the feeling of getting cut at the waist and losing my ground sort of like when an airplane suddenly drops, pins and needles, cold sweat and chills), figured it out, knocked it back into ON and bike just bumpstarted itself and kept going like nothing ever happened, nonetheless - I blame the kill-switch lol

'14 CB1100 STD 5 speed
Yeah, the kill switch is there for accident safety, and not just for the rider, but for anyone rushing to help the fallen.

I have hit the kill switch too while riding and just flipped it back on to bump start the bike in-flight. Not very exciting and a dull inconvenience. :dodgy:

Maybe a future evolution will be to reliably utilize the IMU to signal a downed rider and kill the engine. I believe this is being done now by some manufacturers, but is not standardized.
and I believe that's what it says in your owner's manual, for emergency use only
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
tod.branko_imp said:
Does sound like the kill-switch issue, I've notice people have had to mitigate those occasionally on the CB. Personally never had that problem, but I can see how it can be unnerving.

And I agree - they are probably redundant - and there are most likely better ways to switch the bike off, but for whatever reason they stuck, and are likely to remain.

Recently I was coming home from a long ride, going about 90 on a highway I was passing through a windy portion of the road and wanted to get into a bit more of a tuck, as I went down I noticed that my right bar-end mirror was pointing at the sky so as I reached over with my left hand to adjust it I accidentally hit the kill switch and the bike went dead, it took a split second to understand what's going on (it felt like a year, the feeling of getting cut at the waist and losing my ground sort of like when an airplane suddenly drops, pins and needles, cold sweat and chills), figured it out, knocked it back into ON and bike just bumpstarted itself and kept going like nothing ever happened, nonetheless - I blame the kill-switch lol

'14 CB1100 STD 5 speed
Yeah, the kill switch is there for accident safety, and not just for the rider, but for anyone rushing to help the fallen.

I have hit the kill switch too while riding and just flipped it back on to bump start the bike in-flight. Not very exciting and a dull inconvenience. :dodgy:

Maybe a future evolution will be to reliably utilize the IMU to signal a downed rider and kill the engine. I believe this is being done now by some manufacturers, but is not standardized.
My '04 Sportster had what HD calls a "Bank Angle Sensor" which causes the engine to cut-out if the bike leans over more than--I think--55 degrees. I guess I tested it once when I went down...I remember picking up the bike, and I don't recall having to use the kill switch / key to turn it off, so maybe the BAS worked.
 
Your CB1100 also has what Honda calls a Bank Angle Sensor :P
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Your CB1100 also has what Honda calls a Bank Angle Sensor :P
Would that be linked to the engine shutoff logic too?

I reckon for the CB1100 Honda doesn't use the sensor for ABS while turning like the 202x Africa Twins. That typically involves a 6D IMU sensor device, but I wouldn't assume exclusively.
 
Good luck! Should be an easy job to separate the switch housing and clean everything up inside. Just be careful for springs and little bits that might fall out when you do. Don't ask me how I know...
 
Gold, I think it at least kills the fuel pump. I don't recall exactly at the moment and will have to check a wiring diagram.
 
All of this reminds me that I need to dig the passenger door window switch out of my car and clean it. Every time my wife rides in the car and says "I can't roll the window down", I have to reply "Just keep jiggling it honey, it will start working again in a minute."
 
Back
Top