Triumph Trident 660

Indypikes_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Anyone else like the looks of the new Trident? This 80 HP Triple looks like a nice Roadster. Coming in at under $8K I believe that this will be a good seller. Triumph continues to surprise me with it's product offerings. I believe a recent edition of Rider Magazine had a first look and really liked it as well. I want one!!

312c704c5ae155ac37fa68f10164c25c.jpg
 
It's going to sell like hot cakes at that price, the white one as you have pictured is the best looking to my mind. The engine seems to be tuned for mid-range punch and that will appeal to a lot of riders for everyday usability.
 
Looks like a fun bike to ride. I would consider it if I was 16. Today I think space for me would be a problem after 30 minutes of riding.
 
You get a lot of bike for your money, that is for sure. A great commuter.

Personally I am not a big fan of these sawn-off seats with their end in the air. Yamaha does the same with their MT09. And although it is not a very bad-looking bike, the design and total package seems to be a bit bland. I expect it not to age well.
 
bioman_imp said:
You get a lot of bike for your money, that is for sure. A great commuter.

Personally I am not a big fan of these sawn-off seats with their end in the air. Yamaha does the same with their MT09. And although it is not a very bad-looking bike, the design and total package seems to be a bit bland. I expect it not to age well.
The rear end is at least thrilling for the passenger.
 
Those were dominating bikes in the late 40's early 50's.
 
IMHO these were at least mid 60s in Europe.
In 40s and 50s don't think even racing bikes had disc brakes, however its development goes back to around 1900..
First in vehicles, way before bikes.
Most likely the Italian Lambretta was one of the first using discs...around early 60s, followed by MV Augusta and Honda.
 
PB I believe the Norton Manx was produced from 1947-1962
 
Agree with the above but not with disc brakes in 40s-50s...I am talking about disc brakes, not bike/Manx. :)
 
Well that particular bike is a 61 350cc Manx that belonged to Eddie Byers who ( according to google) was a club racer in the early 2000's and was killed at the Isle of Mann in 2005 hence the disc front brake

Btw that particular bike sold at Bonham's auction for $ 25,517
 
I am wondering if the front wheel on the above Manx image was an upgrade assembly that included a disc brake.

I think even early [production] 1970s Nortons (like the Commando) had the "advanced" ventilated front drum brake.

... I think, but not completely sure.
 
A great racer from England , Peter Williams whom recently died was one of the first if not THE first to use a disc brake on his bikes .
 
@GO - most likely you are correct.
The first motorcycle with a front disc brake operated by a cable, not hydraulics, I saw and tested in early/mid 70s, I guess??

@Houtman - many great racers and racing bikes from England....
 
I'm fascinated by the market positioning and mechanical execution of the Trident 660. 417 lbs. / 189 kg, 81 horsepower, & 47 lb-ft of torque in a compact bike with a round headlight for USD $8k is compelling.

I'm like LongRanger, though, not the biggest fan of some styling cues. Pain points are the stubby tail and the featureless black wheels. The stubby could be somewhat mitigated with a luggage rack and some Hepco & Becker C-Bow panniers, but the black wheels make even a light bike look heavier...there's too much visual weight down below. The wheels should look like wings, not boots.

2bd27b497b5ed52b61272cc8ef978eb2.jpg
 
Back
Top