Triumph Street Twin

TINK_imp

Been there
Thread starter
I rode the new Triumph Street Twin today. I was very impressed by it.

Good suspension feedback, smooth progressive ABS brakes, good power with lots of low end torque. Overall a well balanced bike. Similar, but different to my CB1100.

My only comment was that I personally thought the exhaust sound was a bit agressive, which most buyers will like, but I thought it would get old fast and annoying on longer rides.

 
TINK' pid='121889' dateline='1454559583 said:
I rode the new Triumph Street Twin today. I was very impressed by it.
My only comment was that I personally thought the exhaust sound was a bit agressive, which most buyers will like, but I thought it would get old fast and annoying on longer rides.

I guess with the water cooled head damping some of the engine noise, they could go a bit more aggressive on the exhaust while still complying with noise regulations.
 
i'm suprised about 2 things. The loud exhaust note since my Bonneville was so quiet even I went for replacement Triumph off road exhaust and THOSE were too quiet.

Secondly that you said it had plenty of power since I believe it's only rated at 55 hp even less than the old Bonneville and 30 hp down on the CB1100 which some complain about not having enough power.

At any rate, like the CB1100, it's nice to know it presents itself better than the spec sheets would suggest
 
Rather have that than the Street Twin (custom exhaust and Bonnie seat I think)
 
Always liked the look of the Scrambler best, but that exhaust just gets right in the way of where my inner thigh wants to rest. I wonder if an aftermarket unit like the Arrow system pictured is lower profile.
 
The Triumph dealer in Jacksonville had an introduction day for the new Street Twin but they were not allowing test rides so I did not attend.

I'm glad to hear that Triumph allowed more rumble from the motor this time around. Sparky's Bonneville SE was so quiet as to take away from the riding experience. Undecider has it right I think in that liquid cooling allows a richer exhaust note and that alone could be a deal closer for some when deciding on a new bike.

55hp seems low by today's standards but if memory hasn't failed me (probably has) my '73 BMW was rated at about the same and I can never remember feeling it under powered. The Street Twin has more torque than the old Bonnie which is far more useful in a street bike and is better styled than the one it replaces.
 
I am lucky to have a Triumph Dealer near me. Their site says they have or will have, a red 2016 Street Twin for sale. Didn't really like the last model. Fake carbs and too much retro. New one is full of modern tech, seems to have decent stats, and the price is within reason. Thinking of heading there now to look.
If it is a bit lacking in power, but has torque at the low end to make up for it, I'm sold. Seems like another bike I own. Not out to win the 0-60 race, just cement a grin on your face.
 
Flynrider_imp said:

The articles I've read say that Street Twin sports a 270 degree crank. I think it would have been a real tooth loosener with a 360 crank.
You are exactly correct Flynrider. I can't keep my cranks straight!

My 2001 Bonnie 790 has the 360 crank. I had a 2007 Scrambler 865 with a 270 crank. Both equally smooth at higher RPMs but much prefer the character of the Bonnie motor. Just my 2 cents.
 
Sorry to hear that EG. I was looking at the Duc Scrambler last spring, even joined their forum. They actually (sp :)) talked me out of it (sorta like Cormanus and the ST)
 
More than capable street bike is it not?
 
The ferret_imp said:
More than capable street bike is it not?
Excellent all around motorcycle in my eyes. My 2007 Scrambler had a gel seat, upgraded shocks and springs, fly screen, Norman Hyde exhaust, and hard bags. Very comfortable and handled well.....took many long trips on it. Loved it!
 
Back
Top