Triumph Explorer 1200

thumper_imp

Been there
Thread starter
Well, after stumbling into an opportunity of left-over Triumph Explorers being heavily discounted, and a buddy wanting to buy my (fantastic motorcycle!) ST1300, I now have a TEx in the garage, where my ST1300 and VFR1200F used to sit.

I'm hoping the TEx can (mostly) fill the role of both of those bikes. Although I'm still breaking-in the engine (read: limited revving), I've found there is substantial power lurking within.

I'm still getting used to the very wide handlebars, but I'm loving this thing with each mile racked up.
 
Nice bike! Don't see why that couldn't replace the ST and VFR, especially if you don't do a bunch of 2 up touring.

Congrats Thumper!

ps I would prefer the mag wheels over the spoked ones. the ONLY thing that has broken on my Bonnie in 30,000 miles have been rear spokes
 
Didn't even realize the XC includes spokes. I would think mag wheels would prove to be much better off road (though I have no foundation for this thought). Great looking bike!
 
Thread starter
shdwghst457_imp said:
Didn't even realize the XC includes spokes. I would think mag wheels would prove to be much better off road (though I have no foundation for this thought). Great looking bike!
Spokes are preferred for off-road because they flex somewhat, which allows the rim to give under sharp bumps.

A cast wheel would deform, and remain permanently damaged.

Being I'm only an asphalt warrior, the regular Explorer suits my riding style better.
 
thumper_imp said:
shdwghst457_imp said:
Didn't even realize the XC includes spokes. I would think mag wheels would prove to be much better off road (though I have no foundation for this thought). Great looking bike!
Spokes are preferred for off-road because they flex somewhat, which allows the rim to give under sharp bumps.

A cast wheel would deform, and remain permanently damaged.

Being I'm only an asphalt warrior, the regular Explorer suits my riding style better.
I learn something here every day. I really want to try off road riding; I bet it's a completely different animal than the nearly-guaranteed traction the road offers.
 
That's a big bike! I sat on one at the local Triumph dealer and it felt like you could ride it forever. And use a roll-on for a tank bag...the tank has the biggest "deck" I've ever seen.
 
Thread starter
CIP57_imp said:
That bike is neat Thumper. Whats the seat height and is that a shaft drive i see??
The stock seat has two height options, via two moveable bars under the seat--32.9 or 33.7". Triumph also offers lower, and taller seat options.

I'm 5'9" with a 32" inseam, and flat-footing the bike (in the 32.9" position) is no problem.

And yes, shaft drive.
 
Superb bike. I'm a very happy Tiger 800 owner, and we have a few TEX's in our riding group. They are very capable and comfortable bikes with one of the best engines in motorbiking. I'm sure you're up to speed on some of the recalls and issues with throttle position sensors and the like, so assuming it's been taken care of and you're waranteed, you'll be fine. Best of luck with the Trumpet!
 
You will love this bike Thumper. It's really a big touring bike with some mild off road capabilities. Triumph's triples are great motors with torque down low like a big twin and top end power like a four cyl. I loved my Triumph Tiger 1050 but after 5 years of tip-toeing at stops I had to sell it. The sound of a triple at full song is music to the ears. Congrats on the new bike.
 
Congrats on the new ride, Thumper.
 
A really nice bike :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
From everything I've read and heard, that triple engine can really roll and get the job done - and make a nice noise doing it :D
 
Thread starter
After +/- 22 motorcycles over the years, and it may be the Honeymoon Phase talking, but at 750 miles on the odometer, I do believe this may be the overall best motorcycle I've owned yet.

I'm glad a buddy bought my ST1300 last week, because with this Explorer in the garage, the ST13 would have sat there gathering dust. And, the ST13 was an outstanding motorcycle!

I'm a very happy camper so far.
 
You know it's funny. Yesterday I went to a Yamaha demo days and rode the new FJR ES that everyone is saying is so cool. I rode it on straight roads and twisty roads. When I got back from test riding it I went back out on my ST and ran the same roads for a direct comparison. When I got back someone asked me to compare the two. The FJR was a very nice motorcycle. Very nice. But my ST feels like my favorite pair of deerskin gloves. It just fits me and it's comfortable. It's pretty simple switch wise, and we get along well.

If you got in touch with the Triumph in 750 miles, that is a compliment to the Triumph. Must be a heckova bike.
 
Ferret,

I'm glad to hear you say that as I considered an FJR before buying Ridem's ST (its still at his house). I couldn't even SIT on the FJR at the dealer, but I've heard it pretty tall. What say you?
 
Yea, I just rode a new ES Saturday. It was definitely taller than my ST.

Nice bike, really nice bike, but too many doodads, bars placed my wrist at a weird angle. Prefer my ST.
 
Back
Top