Trip around Wyomings Wind River Mountains

Frulk_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
After the trip last year I attempted to upload the pics to PB but went over my limit and was locked out. This is an abbreviated pictorial of that 2 day, approx 800 miles journey. I took off from Ogden over Monte Cristo Mountain and headed counterclockwise around the Wind Rivers Range, Over Cristo at approx 9,200 feet elevation via Randolph Wy, then Fossil Butte, Kemmerer, the Farson Cut-off to South Pass. Lander where I spent the night in my tent in a pasture at a buddies hobby ranch and fly fished a little on his stretch of the crystal clear stream.

The next day I headed north to Fort Washakie Indian Reservation to visit the grave of Sacajawea. Then pressed further north and west to Dubois where I grabbed lunch and then over Togwotee Pass to Moran Junction and down to Jackson. I topped off on the north side of town and drove straight through spending as little time as possible there. It's a tourist trap these days and I'm not comfortable around the LandRover and Gelandewagon crowd.

Heading south out of town I made the on the spot decision to head SE via the Hoback Junction and pushed on to Big Piney. That stretch and south of BP to Labarge saw me riding in excess of XXX mph for several minutes at a time at least a half a doz times. Once I made it to Labarge I retraced my route to Kemmerer and basically covered the same roads back that I described above.

PS: I just realized that the first pic is from the trip I took this year since I have the aluminum fly screen on and am missing my fly tube. However, the pic is correct as it was taken on the exact route just at a later time.

Click on the pics to enlarge them for more detail.

Early AM heading out over Trappers Loop at about 8,000 feet and a few miles from home

c05aca763c34490c6651fd9086f55998.jpg


Fossil Butte, on the Way to Kemmerer Wy, about 90 miles from home.

102c749c558095e145c11c5fb28d3aa2.jpg


Between Farson and South Pass these 4 historic routes converge and the country side is pretty much exactly like it was 200-300 years ago, discounting the road of course. No houses, no telephone poles...just a few strands of barb wire.

5904bd82ceececed0aec406276830ac4.jpg


South Pass, about 20-30 miles from Lander, Wy. It had rained pretty just before the pic was taken and the fog had cleared.

16ad37160b5a572e11b6778de54a2d7e.jpg


At a pioneer museum in the town of Lander.

93380e6494c222b1161416c82fd6cd93.jpg


Sacajawea's grave on Fort Washakie a few miles north of Lander. It's worth mentioning that this is a very historic and fascinating cemetery. I could have walked quietly through it for hours looking at the history etched into wood and stone.

d8f74846317d2e5940626605aa4ecde4.jpg


Her sons headstone.

9ec5316020c099614ee44b281b47bdd0.jpg


I'll end it here and see if the IMGUR account actually works.
 
For me they are loading like I am back on dial up on my pc, just a little at a time lol

Beautiful pics. What is the yellow thing on the back?
 
Thread starter
Ferret: it's an egg crate sleeping pad. I use it under my $200 ultra light insulated mattress in hopes of preventing a puncture. By itself it's like sleeping on the stock seat

LR: My friend has college students that come from around Jackson to get some clinical experience with him. While there 3 weeks ago he said the students were seeing grizzlies daily going over the pass. The day before I rode up via South Pass a student showed him some pics of 5 different bears on Togwotee on the way to Lander. I'll post some more pics of the trip tonight since IMGUR seems to be working.
 
Oh ok. Now that I am on my ipad I can blow them up and see that. Even I would not want to sleep on a stock seat. I may be able to sit on it for 12 hours, but don't think I would want to lay on it for 8 lol


Gosh I love looking at pictures of the west.
 
Looks like a great trip ,Frulk! I've spent a lot of miles riding the western half of your loop, but never took the eastern route into through Lander and Dubois to Jackson. Looks like a very cool route. Thanks for the pics and report. Looking forward to the rest.

BTW, I totally agree with you about Jackson. I avoid it like the plague. Last time I ran into an SUV traffic jam a few miles south of town. I headed over Teton Pass and bypassed the town completely.
 
Lovely photos, Frulk. Displaying Imgur just fine.
 
Hi Frulk, Nice pictures and ride report! Such a beautiful place. I've ridden motorcycles there a couple of times. Agree with your comment about Jackson. The rest of the area, Dubois and all, I love it, so great to see!
 
Thread starter
Part two with some additional pictures that are a composite of the same route but from different trips. Click on the pics to enlarge for more detail.

We had a good winter locally....read that to mean lots of snow that recharged our reservoirs. Stopped close to the summit of Monte Cristo and took this pic of a big drift (one of many still remaining at this relatively low altitude).

ae279e0afc736b5ed83fa7bffd883a27.jpg


As I was heading due east on the old Oregon Trail coming out of Farson Wyoming I saw this sign. Luckily it was a tailwind. I was really having a problem on this stretch keeping the bike under 85 mph and in fact was routinely bumping the three digit mark all the way until I started climbing South Pass.

eefb448360a59e06ae4acac4c93ff2be.jpg


As I rolled into Lander I stopped at the Cowfish Saloon to fill up my aluminum growler with the locally brewed Hefe for my evening camp. I backed the bike in next to this Triumph that was being ridden by a young gal. As soon as I took off my helmet and she got a good view of my chiseled weatherbeaten good looks she struck up a conversation. She took off 5 weeks ago from Maryland. Think she said she completed her masters and was taking a solo road trip of the western USA and Canada. She was having problems finding a replacement for the bald rear due to its odd size (?). I wasn't much help as Lander really is in an isolated part of the US. Desperate to get to the hefe I pointed her to the oldest Kawasaki dealership in the country (of all places just up main street in Lander).

0b4ab115909013741922ffb09b172c95.jpg


I left Lander the next morning heading towards Dubois. These next two pic are over 70 miles apart. The first one is of a winter wildlife refuge area on South Pass and the other one is 30 miles south of Dubois. Notice the red soil strata is the same in both pics.

d7c9c406503259d80903b95ca604d0c5.jpg


645141e4ad80d18b50c44b43ebfa0f8c.jpg


I make it a point to stop at the cemetery in Dubois every time I go through and visit this grave. If you've never seen the movie 'Taking Chance' it's worth a look. Explains how this 19 year old marine took his last trip home.

706e83f132df14e79bd51a0ffc5de57a.jpg


Once west and outside Dubois the climb over Togwotee Pass begins. Pic is somewhere on the pass.

5ad04bdb97805edbf938231f92e21e0a.jpg


Coming down the other side of the pass you hit Moran Junction. Turn right to go to Yellowstone, turn left for the grand Tetons and Jackson. I turned left, pic is in front of the Tetons. Wasn't too busy on this day.

d65a6abdb4da193510b82d86d491c9e7.jpg


I hit Hoback junction and headed south east through Big Piney, then Labarge. South of the ranching, gas and oil roughneck hamlet of Labarge you come across Fontenelle Reservior. A dam was built across the Green River and backed it up. At full pool its about 10 miles or so in total length. Windy body of water that many years ago, according to rumor was stocked with a pure strain of Scottish Loch Levin trout. I've fished it with powerbait soacked in single malt scotch on downriggers but have yet to get lucky.

cd02a1aff856a3025b949455a2fee8a1.jpg


So, while I have talked about this mt range a few times and posted pics of the roads around them I've never actually shown a pic of what's IN THEM. I'll close with this pic for Ferret since he really likes our western mountains.

This is in the interior of the range. One of my best friends and I hiked deep into the middle to fly-fish for a few days. This pic has us standing at approx. 10,600 feet a few years back. We came back several years later from the western side of the range and fished a remote glacial lake behind the ridge in the middle of the pic (to the right of the big snowfield/glacier) on my birthday. That ridge is in fact the Continental Divide at about 11,200 feet. About 25 miles one way on foot from the west. We smoked a cigar and sipped some scotch while straddling the divide and flogging the water. Didn't catch fish up there but still one of the best Birthdays I've ever had.

11a20d243f175d6d796924db3897fbd3.jpg
 
Crikey! What glorious country, Frulk. You lucky bloke.

By the way, don't waste the single malt on the fish. Lightly lubricate your stomach and put the unadulterated bait in the water.
 
Back
Top