trailer tie down and fork compression

buckwheat_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Hello all,

I've been visiting this forum anonymously now for over a year and I finally found a used 2013 I will be picking up tomorrow. The only problem is it is 200 miles away from me and I need to trailer it back home and I have never trailered a bike. I'll be using a U-Haul motorcycle trailer and I bought 2 pair of Moose Racing standard tie-downs with soft-ties 1" wide and 7' long at the local Honda dealer. These straps are the non-ratcheting type but instead have the spiked roller wheel that digs into the strap. I was hoping for any pointers on tying the bike down.

Would you veterans-of-towing use these type of straps? I have ratcheting straps already and will be bringing those too. Another question I have is fork compression. How much travel does the front fork have and how far in inches do you think it should be compressed to secure it on the trailer? The parts guy showing me said he would compress the forks a few inches. He also asked what I bike I was tying down before he chose those straps, so I just assumed they would do the job. I looked at a 2014 on the dealer showroom floor where I bought the straps and I think I will use the front ties on the triple tree and the rear ties to the frame just beneath the rear of seat (I took the seat off at the dealers for viewing).

Any advice would be appreciated. I do have a smart phone and will be looking for replies on the way to get the bike although I know it is short notice and a long shot for replies. I'll also post pics of the tie down and report if I was successful. "If I was successful" sounds really bad I know, but it is my first try at trailering a bike. :-/

p.s. I enjoyed your review of your 1st oil change, the ferret.
 
Congrats on finding your 2013 CB! Well done.

I'm not a veteran of towing but I recently had to bring my Ducati home in the back of a U-Haul pickup truck. I stopped at the auto parts store and bought an inexpensive set of four ratcheting tie-downs. The only tidbit I have to provide is to not secure the bike while it's on the centerstand or sidestand -- have someone steady the bike vertically while you're tightening down the four straps as evenly as possible. I compressed the Ducati's forks about an inch and the bike remained perfectly stable. I honestly don't think you need to overthink it -- just make the sure the bike is steady and won't roll forward or back, or from side to side. Use your common sense and you'll be fine -- it's not rocket science. If you like, pull over after 10-15 minutes and check the straps. Good luck and have fun!
 
+1 on Long Rangers reply. I trailer bikes all the time. Make sure you compress the front forks maybe an inch or so. Leave it in gear. Since it's a motorcycle trailer you won't have to purchase a wheel chock. If the exhaust is hot make sure your straps don't touch the headers or muffler.
 
Thread starter
Frulk_imp said:
+1 on Long Rangers reply. I trailer bikes all the time. Make sure you compress the front forks maybe an inch or so. Leave it in gear. Since it's a motorcycle trailer you won't have to purchase a wheel chock. If the exhaust is hot make sure your straps don't touch the headers or muffler.
Thanks to Longranger and frulk for your replies. I knew not to ratchet it down on either stand, and to leave it in gear from reading I have already done. The U-Haul trailer I don't consider a real chock. It has no indent on the floor. No back of tire support, unless I receive equipment at time of rental. All it is really is a "v" that protrudes outside the front wall. The "v" angle is rather wide too and I don't think it will give much if any side wheel support. Just my opinion though as of course I've never used one for a bike.

Still looking for any and all replies. Thanks for you 2 who have already chipped in. :)
 
Congratulations on getting the seat off, buckwheat. It's fooled many a new owner.

Oh and welcome.
 
Just like LongRanger said. Compress the forks a bit. You CAN use the handlebars if you want. Also, if your tie down ends are long, tie them off somewhere ( or to each other front to back ) to keep them from flapping in the wind. The loose ends can tear into paint and plastic parts quickly. Two weeks ago I brought a friend's BMW back from Canada, 600 miles one way, and had no issues.
 
I would only use ratcheting straps, but only because that's what I've used in the past and I know what to expect from them.
I would loop the tie-downs over the lower triple instead of using canyon dancers on the stock bars.
Per longranger's original reply, no need to go nuts compressing the forks. An inch or two should be fine. But 200 miles isn't that long a trip so if you get zealous the forks can probably take it.
If you're renting the same UHaul trailer I usually use, I like to run a strap through the rear wheel, between the two rear corner tie-down points (using softstraps as little strap extensions if needed). Very little tension on that strap; just enough to help stabilize everything over bumps, during braking, etc.

Congrats on the find!
 
ClassicVW_imp said:
Just like LongRanger said. Compress the forks a bit. You CAN use the handlebars if you want. Also, if your tie down ends are long, tie them off somewhere ( or to each other front to back ) to keep them from flapping in the wind. The loose ends can tear into paint and plastic parts quickly. Two weeks ago I brought a friend's BMW back from Canada, 600 miles one way, and had no issues.
I don't like the sound of that. I hope he's okay!
 
The only suggestion beyond those already mentioned I have is to emphasize that you should not use tiedowns on the back frame... any "snuggling down" of them will surely bend the frame... even a little... and throw off frame alignment... Rather... very lightly snug down the back wheel by wrapping the tie down around the wheel from each side at same point on wheel(close to tire contact with trailer bed) & secure the hook ends onto the U-Haul anchor loops on side or back of trailer bed... again... it takes next to no "snuggling" of the tiedowns on back of frame to misalign the frame... don't ask me how I know... oh... and of course... you might want to use some "duc tape" to close the open hooks on the front tie downs so they do not "jump" out of the anchor rings on the trailer bed when the forks compress as you are traveling & hit bumps or go over railroad tracks etc... again... from lesson learned,,,ENJOY YOUR CB1100 NEW RIDE!:hello::clap:
 
LongRanger_imp said:
ClassicVW_imp said:
Just like LongRanger said. Compress the forks a bit. You CAN use the handlebars if you want. Also, if your tie down ends are long, tie them off somewhere ( or to each other front to back ) to keep them from flapping in the wind. The loose ends can tear into paint and plastic parts quickly. Two weeks ago I brought a friend's BMW back from Canada, 600 miles one way, and had no issues.
I don't like the sound of that. I hope he's okay!
I don't like the sound of that. I hope he's okay!
Oh yeah, sorry. I didn't see my post that way, but now I do. He's fine. It's all good. He imported a 2005 R1200C Montauk. Only 350 made worldwide. 6 went to Canada, none to the USA. An importing nightmare though. We knew that going in though, and he contracted with a vehicle importer who does this all the time. We successfully trailered it into US past customs inspections and all, (Yes, WE picked it up, not the importer) but the importer took some shortcuts with some paperwork, and now he's stuck between NY DMV and the US DOT in trying to register it. Apparently we weren't supposed to be allowed to enter the US with it without the importer holding onto it for a DOT inspection. But the DOT guy realizes we tried to do everything the right way (my friend did weeks of paperwork ahead of the trip ) and he says we won't suffer for it, he will release the paperwork soon and then he's going after the importer for breaking several Federal regulations.
 
You guys are going to extreme with all the worry.

I've moved countless bikes over several decades- on trailers, in pickup truck beds- always the same simple manner- a basic push tab release tie down to each side of the handle bar- pull until tight. Nothing fancy, no wheel chocks, etc... in my younger years we drove hard enough in the pickups that the back wheels would bounce or slide around- but the front end will never move butted up against the front of the trailer or bed.
 
I may be a bit late to this discussion, but here's a photo of how I moved my CB the last time... 500 miles each way with no issues.

I use ratchet straps.... 2 down by the front axel to pull the bike forward. 2 attached to the rear frame, where the rear shock bolts to it, to pull it backwards. Then 1 on each side of the rear wheel to keep the rear from hopping or sliding from side to side. Then 2 in the front on the handlebars to stabilize the bike upright. You need very little shock compression but I would suggest some because the bike will settle. I also used strap extenders to protect the paint. Putting the actual hooks on the bike is not recommended. Make sure you stop after the first 30-50 miles to check the tension as everything will loosen up. I probably go a bit overboard, but hey... your bike is worth alot of money... why take the chance. Good luck and enjoy your new toy!




Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
PowerDubs_imp said:
You guys are going to extreme with all the worry.

I've moved countless bikes over several decades- on trailers, in pickup truck beds- always the same simple manner- a basic push tab release tie down to each side of the handle bar- pull until tight. Nothing fancy, no wheel chocks, etc... in my younger years we drove hard enough in the pickups that the back wheels would bounce or slide around- but the front end will never move butted up against the front of the trailer or bed.
"You guys are going to extreme with all the worry" - yes I am! lol I know you meant that to the entire thread-group but this being my 1st tie down you hit the bulls eye for me with that sentence. It really wasn't that much trouble at all.

And thank you very much for the specific mention of the push-tab style strap which is what I bought from the Honda dealer, as that was 1 of my questions for this thread. I got it home today and I don't think it moved at all.

I used the non-ratchet push-tab, pull style straps front and back. Then I used an additional ratchet strap on each fork. Overkill maybe but I just didn't trust those pull straps on the forks. After towing it and after your comment that you use them all the time, I think it would have been ok without the ratchet straps and only using the pull straps. I took plenty of pictures of the tie down and even measured with tape the compression in inches. I'll be posting those tommorow and welcome any comments on the method too. My thanks to everyone that commented. Feel free to keep posting as I am interested to know your methods and thoughts.
 
Thread starter
So here are the pics of the tie down method I used. I started with the blue non-ratchet straps. Then after reconsideration I added the 2 yellow ratchet straps. For the rear I took the seat off and tied the top rail of the frame as far back as I could get it. The U-Haul motorcycle trailer has 6 D rings with 2 being in the middle. I used the middle D rings for the back ties. This put the direction of force pushing forward against the front of the trailer and not pulling the bike "out" of the trailer. I put the seat back on for transport. I stopped and checked the bike 3 times and it never moved even on the worst bumpy roads. The pic of the tape measure is the distance left on the fork after being strapped down - 3.5 inches. I took so many pics to try and help someone who is new to trailering a bike as I am. I welcome any comments on the method I used or concerns and advice.

I think everything worked out well. I also think the non-ratchet straps would have held it alone. I haven't looked or ridden the bike since taking it off the trailer but I don't think anything was bent because of the tie downs. Thanks to everyone who replied.

Oh, for reference trailer rental is $15 a day. A day to U-Haul means 24 hrs and you can drop off the trailer after business hours without a representative present.

edit: i am having technical difficulties uploading the pics. I'm not very good with technology lol
 
Congrats on your new CB1100 and welcome to the forum. Glad to here you got it home without any problems! Also looking forward to your pictures.
 
Buckwheat, posting pictures takes a bit of practice. See if this thread helps, Posting Pics for newbies

Congratulations on getting the bike home and best wishes for many happy miles.
 
Nice work. Thanks for sharing.
 
Back
Top