Trailer, small foot print?

Houtman_imp said:
Instead of buying a motorcycle only trailer I bought about 12 years ago a 5 by 8 ft. trailer from a company making utility trailers in Upstate New York.It has a 1500 lbs load capacity and is well made.Better quality than Lowes or Northern Tools.
It has stake pockets and I made 24 inch sides for it and a 3/4 inch pressure treated plywood for a floor.
I added 12 eyebolts to the frame for tie downs and also put led lights on the trailer,the normal lightbulbs do not last very long on a trailer.
For moving my bikes (thousands of miles) I put on a Baxley LA shock for very easy loading.Baxley probably makes the very best bike trailers but also very expensive.
It only takes me a few minutes to put the wheel shock onto the trailer floor with two strong bolts.
For a ramp I bought a aluminum 12 ft ramp ,in two sections altogether 38 inch wide and the sections fold in half for easy storage.
They are heavy but very well made (Discount Ramps,very pleased with them )
This trailer has saved me a lot of money ,picking up mulch, house furniture etc etc and saving delivery cost.
The trailer has 12 inch tires and I always take a spare wheel with me when on the road.
You also will get more friends if they know that you have a trailer !
"could you please help me move "
I have thought about just having a motorcycle specific trailer but can not justify the cost of a good one,this utility trailer serves me perfect.
If the weather gets better I will try to post some pictures.
Same here!
I re-built a trailer my dad gave me that was a very small trailer he picked up from Harbor Freight. I welded up and fabricated a 5' x 8' frame from 2x3 tube and 12" angle for corner and side rails with 3/4 plywood floor. Built a lift up loading ramp out of 1" squire tube and expanded metal. Works great. I use it mainly to haul my big zero turn mower. I up graded from the 8" wheels to the 12". I have a spare tire mounted on the trailer and would not hesitate to take it on a long haul at 70mph. When I brought the CB home I screwed a couple the short 2x4's on the floor to fit on either side of the front wheel and strapped her down. Makes for a great little universal trailer
 
I tow a CB450 Black Bomber on a Harbor Freight trailer. I put 3/4 ply on the deck and bolted a locking chock front center. I have taken it from CA to TX twice, so I think I got my $ worth. Last trip BOTH fenders were seen in my rear view mirror as they flew down the hiway. one on the way, one on the way home. Metal fatigue from buffeting in the wind. The frame seems quite sturdy, and the trailer has good reviews. I upgraded to the 12 wheels and have a spare. I use the same ramp from my trailer hitch rack for smaller bikes. The trailer folds for storage. I would love that aluminum rig, but it sure is pricey.
 
Papabear_imp said:
I tow a CB450 Black Bomber on a Harbor Freight trailer. I put 3/4 ply on the deck and bolted a locking chock front center. I have taken it from CA to TX twice, so I think I got my $ worth. Last trip BOTH fenders were seen in my rear view mirror as they flew down the hiway. one on the way, one on the way home. Metal fatigue from buffeting in the wind. The frame seems quite sturdy, and the trailer has good reviews. I upgraded to the 12 wheels and have a spare. I use the same ramp from my trailer hitch rack for smaller bikes. The trailer folds for storage. I would love that aluminum rig, but it sure is pricey.
Can you share some pics? I have the folding model with 12 inch wheels? I don't have that much confidence in my HF trailer yet, mainly due to a rim that seems bent and a tire with a slight bulge in it. Just completed the frame a few weeks ago and need to put the for on. Which wheel chock are you using.

And lastly would you put a CB1100 on one???


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
I use a 4X8 trailer for my bikes. $400 it came like this:


781f3fd539a1ede434e762df7905eac4.jpg


478a5b3db1b9bac0af1b272ce32fe736.jpg


a48b7603cecbc439fdc71a7844db9160.jpg


I paid $66 for a 3/4" sheet of plywood and about $12 in deck screws from Fastenal. $25 for a dirt bike chock on Craigslist:

02ad7ff1bc8256ae91a5b1c2725c608c.jpg


$60 for a mounted spare tire:

3697abf8030c58a0b584bcebee07e99d.jpg


Worked great hauling a dirt bike to and from and all around Colorado. I just picked up a new in box Condor wheel chock from a co worker for $75.

I welded a piece of angle iron on the back to set my Doug Fir 2X12 ramp on.

05cb4ef99cc3241a7febdfd551f55bc6.jpg


b867b77d1e39f242a62971a36112fdb4.jpg


e8bf1f74e57b96b00784c83f194bb051.jpg

My four banger Tacoma pulls it with ease. Makes for a good work stand also.

6e9d36a9e2d819f330dac3d713a5d696.jpg


c2a69b28771b6ae604a726e6b0645bb7.jpg


I have a bigger trailer for firewood, landscaping, etc. but this little one works great for bikes. It doesnt have that small of a "footprint" but my shed is big enough to keep it out of the elements
One thing I did do when I got it home when new? I pulled the wheels off, and checked the bearings, and packed them full with a real good bearing grease. I did not trust what the manufacturer had put in there. And bearing buddies helps keep your bearings in good shape easy. Dont be afraid of 12" wheels as long as you keep up with tire inflation and bearing checks you will be fine.
 
I like Ole's trailer. I don't have a wheel chock on mine yet, as I mentioned I just used a couple of 2x4's screwed down to support the front wheel. I ran out and took a pic, but it's still rainy and some snow left around here.
 
With 13 riders in the family, I bought a trailer that would handle bikes from smallest to largest. 3500 pound capacity, 15" wheels set up with 3 wheel chocks to tow 1 bike in center or 2 bikes, 1 pn each side. Of course I tow it with a Honda pickup, not a passenger car. I used to have an enclosed trailer, but I hated the weight and not being able to see thru it when towing. It did protect the bikes much better from the elements or prying eyes. This one I can move to the vehicle rather than having to back the vehicle up to it. Unfortunately it is forced to sit outside all year.

 
I also chose to go with a small utility trailer. tractor Supply had a sale and I bought a drop ramp model with 8" tires to haul my lawn tractor. When the bikes returned to the garage I upgraded to 12" tires an a plywood deck. This spring I plan to add tie down points and a wheel chock up frt. I don't think I have more than $500 total invested in it.

 
I've got a trailer similar to Ferrets and Gingersdaddy... 6x10 Anderson utility trailer with a wood floor and 15" wheels. I haven't had two bikes on it, think it might be too narrow for anything but smaller ones side by side. But I've trailered bikes from Atlanta to Little Rock and back... from St. Pete to Atlanta and back... numerous times. And I'm probably going to trailer my CB back to Georgia next month so I can have it up there for the rally in NC in May. And of course, it comes in handy for yard work and other stuff. About $800 new back in 2008. Good choice.
 
Back
Top