Traffic Signal Stop - Turn Light Tripping Sensor

Offroad

Road warrior
Thread starter
I searched for a thread, but didn't find any.

Does anyone have any tricks for tripping the in pavement sensors to make a traffic light change?

I've been stuck a few times and without a car behind me to trip it, I would have to eventually run the red light.

In Indiana there is a new law that allows motorcycles to go on red after 2 minutes or two light cycles, but sometimes that isn't possible at a big, busy intersection.

Tips, Tricks or Advise?
 
You can try stopping with the alternator cover centred on the induction coil in the street (i.e., the centre of the tar circle) in the hope that the magnetic field will trip it. Others have said those "light trippers" also work. Another easy cheatbis to lower the kickstand onto the pavement (but make sure you are in neutral on our bikes) For me it seems about 70/30 that the bike trips the light. There are only a couple lights on my routine rides that I have to end.up driving through.

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk 2
 
I try to approach so that one of the sensing wires is directly under the center of the bike. That usually works.

For stubborn sensors, I've had the best luck by putting the kickstand down right on top of the sensing wire.

If you regularly come across a light that has difficulty sensing your bike, report it to the traffic dept. of that town or city. The sensitivity is easily adjusted and I've found that most departments I've contacted were very glad to be advised of the problem (and fixed it quickly).
 
Flynrider_imp said:
I try to approach so that one of the sensing wires is directly under the center of the bike. That usually works.

For stubborn sensors, I've had the best luck by putting the kickstand down right on top of the sensing wire.

If you regularly come across a light that has difficulty sensing your bike, report it to the traffic dept. of that town or city. The sensitivity is easily adjusted and I've found that most departments I've contacted were very glad to be advised of the problem (and fixed it quickly).
This has worked for me also. When my wife rides with me, she will center her bike on one of the sensor cut lines and I on the other. Works nearly every time.
 
Embedded wire sensors are just about extinct around here. All state and county roads have switched to the sensor camera mounted just above the overhead traffic signal that's aimed at the stop line area.
 
ClassicVW_imp said:
Embedded wire sensors are just about extinct around here. All state and county roads have switched to the sensor camera mounted just above the overhead traffic signal that's aimed at the stop line area.
That would be great, but they wouldn't be able to do that effectively around here due to the enormous amount of idiots that stop more than a full car length back from the stop line. I see it so often and I still can't figure out the "logic" behind it. The engineers that designed the intersections put the stop line as the correct and safe location for cars to stop, and yet people can't seem to figure that out.
 
Randy B_imp said:
ClassicVW_imp said:
Embedded wire sensors are just about extinct around here. All state and county roads have switched to the sensor camera mounted just above the overhead traffic signal that's aimed at the stop line area.
That would be great, but they wouldn't be able to do that effectively around here due to the enormous amount of idiots that stop more than a full car length back from the stop line. I see it so often and I still can't figure out the "logic" behind it. The engineers that designed the intersections put the stop line as the correct and safe location for cars to stop, and yet people can't seem to figure that out.
That would be great, but they wouldn't be able to do that effectively around here due to the enormous amount of idiots that stop more than a full car length back from the stop line. I see it so often and I still can't figure out the "logic" behind it. The engineers that designed the intersections put the stop line as the correct and safe location for cars to stop, and yet people can't seem to figure that out.
It's not aimed just at the stop line, it's installed in front of you beyond the intersection so I assume it gets the stop line and beyond (behind you). It works great.
 
I need to get some pictures of this behavior. I can't figure out who is teaching these people out here to drive. And then the DMV gives them a licence to drive like that. SMH
 
Randy B_imp said:
ClassicVW_imp said:
Embedded wire sensors are just about extinct around here. All state and county roads have switched to the sensor camera mounted just above the overhead traffic signal that's aimed at the stop line area.
That would be great, but they wouldn't be able to do that effectively around here due to the enormous amount of idiots that stop more than a full car length back from the stop line. I see it so often and I still can't figure out the "logic" behind it. The engineers that designed the intersections put the stop line as the correct and safe location for cars to stop, and yet people can't seem to figure that out.
That would be great, but they wouldn't be able to do that effectively around here due to the enormous amount of idiots that stop more than a full car length back from the stop line. I see it so often and I still can't figure out the "logic" behind it. The engineers that designed the intersections put the stop line as the correct and safe location for cars to stop, and yet people can't seem to figure that out.

Thats funny Randy. Here we have white painted stop bars on the road surface indicating where you are supposed to stop. In our county most of the drivers seem to think that line is for the second car at the intersection, with the first car crossing it completely before stopping.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Randy B_imp said:
ClassicVW_imp said:
Embedded wire sensors are just about extinct around here. All state and county roads have switched to the sensor camera mounted just above the overhead traffic signal that's aimed at the stop line area.
That would be great, but they wouldn't be able to do that effectively around here due to the enormous amount of idiots that stop more than a full car length back from the stop line. I see it so often and I still can't figure out the "logic" behind it. The engineers that designed the intersections put the stop line as the correct and safe location for cars to stop, and yet people can't seem to figure that out.
That would be great, but they wouldn't be able to do that effectively around here due to the enormous amount of idiots that stop more than a full car length back from the stop line. I see it so often and I still can't figure out the "logic" behind it. The engineers that designed the intersections put the stop line as the correct and safe location for cars to stop, and yet people can't seem to figure that out.

Thats funny Randy. Here we have white painted stop bars on the road surface indicating where you are supposed to stop. In our county most of the drivers seem to think that line is for the second car at the intersection, with the first car crossing it completely before stopping.
That would be great, but they wouldn't be able to do that effectively around here due to the enormous amount of idiots that stop more than a full car length back from the stop line. I see it so often and I still can't figure out the "logic" behind it. The engineers that designed the intersections put the stop line as the correct and safe location for cars to stop, and yet people can't seem to figure that out.

Thats funny Randy. Here we have white painted stop bars on the road surface indicating where you are supposed to stop. In our county most of the drivers seem to think that line is for the second car at the intersection, with the first car crossing it completely before stopping.
That is what you call going to the other extreme.
 
Randy B_imp said:
I need to get some pictures of this behavior. I can't figure out who is teaching these people out here to drive. And then the DMV gives them a licence to drive like that. SMH
Way back when I was learning to drive this was something they actively tought us in Young Drivers. We were supposed to basically stop 1-1.5 car lengths back from the stop line and control that distance in front of us as our escape zone in case the car behind failed to stop, only moving up after it became clear the car behind us was in control and going to stop.

I remember thinking how stupid it was and then had my suspicions confirmed when the instructor said at the end "by the way, don't do the stop and creep at lights on your road test or you will fail"

I guess there may still be some places that believe in this....
 
kmoney_imp said:
Randy B_imp said:
I need to get some pictures of this behavior. I can't figure out who is teaching these people out here to drive. And then the DMV gives them a licence to drive like that. SMH
Way back when I was learning to drive this was something they actively tought us in Young Drivers. We were supposed to basically stop 1-1.5 car lengths back from the stop line and control that distance in front of us as our escape zone in case the car behind failed to stop, only moving up after it became clear the car behind us was in control and going to stop.

I remember thinking how stupid it was and then had my suspicions confirmed when the instructor said at the end "by the way, don't do the stop and creep at lights on your road test or you will fail"

I guess there may still be some places that believe in this....
Way back when I was learning to drive this was something they actively tought us in Young Drivers. We were supposed to basically stop 1-1.5 car lengths back from the stop line and control that distance in front of us as our escape zone in case the car behind failed to stop, only moving up after it became clear the car behind us was in control and going to stop.

I remember thinking how stupid it was and then had my suspicions confirmed when the instructor said at the end "by the way, don't do the stop and creep at lights on your road test or you will fail"

I guess there may still be some places that believe in this....
This explains a lot. Someone got it in their brain that this was a "safe" thing to do and started teaching it even though it's not. When you do something that is unexpected when driving on the road, an accident is more likely to occur.....period. The more predictable you are, the safer you will be on the road.
 
If you put a magnet on your bike, you can trip the sensors easier. It's about disrupting the magnetic field more easily. Check YouTube for videos. This is even more of a problem for mopeds and bicycles. Check YouTube for "magnet stop light" or similar.
 
Just bought a "CMS Magnetics 150 LB capacity" 2 inch round by 3/8 inch thick chrome magnet on Amazon for $13.00. Just put on the center stand brace. WOW! Work great out here in San Diego. Don't have to run red lights anymore.
 
Many places have switched from the wire to light sensors. In Illinois anyway much of the time simply flashing your brights a bunch of times will trigger it, especially at night. Certainly worth a try.
 
veech_imp said:
Many places have switched from the wire to light sensors. In Illinois anyway much of the time simply flashing your brights a bunch of times will trigger it, especially at night. Certainly worth a try.
Myth. Those light sensors are not for regular traffic, but for emergency vehicles. Emergency vehicles have a strobe light facing forward that flashes at a specific frequency and that is what trips the lights to change. There is no way that you would ever be able to flash your headlights fast enough to trip that sensor.
I have seen a couple of news reports of people being caught and fined for using devices to trip the lights though.

https://blog.gasbuddy.com/posts/Man...-lights-police-catch-him/1715-490692-922.aspx
 
bflint_imp said:
Just bought a "CMS Magnetics 150 LB capacity" 2 inch round by 3/8 inch thick chrome magnet on Amazon for $13.00. Just put on the center stand brace. WOW! Work great out here in San Diego. Don't have to run red lights anymore.
I want to know if it picks the nails and screws off the road as you ride.
 
Thread starter
This sounds like an idea worth trying!

Dumb question, did you actually screw it to your stand or just let it use it's magnetic attraction properties to hang on....

I would probably worry what would happen to the rear tire, maybe chain if it were to become unattached at high speeds.

bflint_imp said:
Just bought a "CMS Magnetics 150 LB capacity" 2 inch round by 3/8 inch thick chrome magnet on Amazon for $13.00. Just put on the center stand brace. WOW! Work great out here in San Diego. Don't have to run red lights anymore.
 
redbirds_imp said:
bflint_imp said:
Just bought a "CMS Magnetics 150 LB capacity" 2 inch round by 3/8 inch thick chrome magnet on Amazon for $13.00. Just put on the center stand brace. WOW! Work great out here in San Diego. Don't have to run red lights anymore.
I want to know if it picks the nails and screws off the road as you ride.
I want to know if it picks the nails and screws off the road as you ride.
Only when they don't get stuck in the front tyre first.
 
Randy B_imp said:
veech_imp said:
Many places have switched from the wire to light sensors. In Illinois anyway much of the time simply flashing your brights a bunch of times will trigger it, especially at night. Certainly worth a try.
Myth. Those light sensors are not for regular traffic, but for emergency vehicles. Emergency vehicles have a strobe light facing forward that flashes at a specific frequency and that is what trips the lights to change. There is no way that you would ever be able to flash your headlights fast enough to trip that sensor.
I have seen a couple of news reports of people being caught and fined for using devices to trip the lights though.

https://blog.gasbuddy.com/posts/Man...-lights-police-catch-him/1715-490692-922.aspx
Myth. Those light sensors are not for regular traffic, but for emergency vehicles. Emergency vehicles have a strobe light facing forward that flashes at a specific frequency and that is what trips the lights to change. There is no way that you would ever be able to flash your headlights fast enough to trip that sensor.
I have seen a couple of news reports of people being caught and fined for using devices to trip the lights though.

https://blog.gasbuddy.com/posts/Man...-lights-police-catch-him/1715-490692-922.aspx
I can assure it it works, but I admit not reliably all the time. I know about the emergency vehicle systems and that it is illegal to use one of those devices, but I regularly switch lights by repeatedly flashing my brights on both my CB and my BMW auto. When it works, the light easily turns in under 30 seconds at intersections where otherwise I would sit and wait through several cycles of the other traffic lights switching and not mine. Perhaps the light refracts in such a way that it tricks the sensor into thinking it is one of the emergency strobes? However, you don't see the white light turn on which it does when the emergency vehicles trigger it so I don't know.

If you think about it, a light sensor is a much cheaper option than detection systems built into the asphalt so it would make sense.
 
Back
Top