Touring Bike Quest

Chapomis_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
In my recent quest for a touring bike I have gone from the CTX to ST to FJR, etc etc to just adding a full shield and boxes to my CB. Yes, the CB is a very versatile bike and there are a lot of fine examples of it set up for touring here, but I think it looks best IMHO.....the way I have it now. So, the last stop in my quest was at my local BMW dealer. I went there with the intention of just looking at the F800 thingy and seeing how that felt and ended up putting a deposit on a R1200RT (ouch). The question I keep putting to myself is, where does this put the CB in my life ? I don't expect anyone to answer that question, just pondering keeping or selling. I think if someone really wanted a really pretty DLX with only 800 miles, I might consider selling, but not at the used prices I am seeing lately.

 
Ouch is right, but that BMW is a wonderful bike.

Tell you where my CB fits in. After riding the ST around for a while climbing on the CB is like climbing on a light weight, smooth handling, comfortable sport bike. Sometimes I want all the protection and stability of the big bike, and sometimes I want to feel the wind and throw the bike around a little bit. I think they compliment each other nicely.
 
For me the CB1100 is a superb tourer. It cruises at 85mph, carries enough luggage for a two week trip and gets admiring looks wherever I go. When it rains I get wet and when it is cold I need to wrap up but that is what motorcycling is all about. If I want to be protected from the elements, listen to the radio, have cruise control and a heater I'll travel by car. Motorcycling is supposed to be an adventure. Motorways (freeways) are not an adventure and neither is a climate controlled environment. I don't want gadgets, fairings, music or heaters. On a motorcycle I consider these features are for couriers who have to travel long distances quickly, as a job. As a traveller I want to experience the travelling, not be protected for it. Each to their own but looking back, it is the difficult trips that stay in the memory the longest and the difficult times make you appreciate the good times more.
 
Congratulations, Chapomis, on your new, beautiful motorcycle. It is an incredible machine, and I'm certain it will fulfill your touring needs with aplomb.
 
Once you start to ride the RT, you'll find where the CB fits in. For me, it's a town bike. The RT looks too big to ride at ease in town; traits that will serve it well on the open road.

The CB does tourer very well, but the RT is at a whole other level.
 
Good choice ! Just what I was looking for when I retired but with my budget I would only be able to get one
very very used. So bought the CB.
 
I took a 5k mile round trip to Abilene, Tx last year. Grandson's HS graduation. I rode my BMW R1200R which is basically the same as the RT, but without the Tupperware and some of the electronics. It was a great trip. The bike was flawless.

Purchased my CB11 after that trip and my plan was to sell the BMW and use the Honda for touring. After much thought I am going to keep the BMW and will use it for extended trips like the one above. I will use the Honda for trips of a week or less. The reason is not because the Honda is less capable, I used to take multi week trips on my CB750 back in the day. The reason is the shaft drive. Yes, I know that BMW had some problems with the rear drive on their earlier big twin boxers, but those problems pretty much disappeared after they put a big hole in the rear drive for cooling.

If the Honda had shaft drive, the BMW would be gone in a heartbeat.
 
If you have the luxury (money and space) to keep the two bikes, that are totally different and each serve a specific need and purpose, I would definately keep both.

I think the Ferret summed it up perfectly.
From time to time you want and need those opposites.
There is no perfect do-it-all bike, but being able to chose from 2 different bikes is a good start :)

Congratz on the beemer :thumbsup:
 
Great bike, excellent on the highway and superior for longer trips. Good powerband and spirited. Very long term keeper.

CB is a great bike as a compliment to your new BMW, lighter and more agile with a lower center of gravity. Back roads cruiser (my main use) and local errands. More of a standard bike - clean & classic. My long distance riding these days is on secondary roads by choice. Interstate just doesn't go where I want to.
 
Thread starter
Thanks all. One of the main reasons I decided on the RT over the other choices was the weight. 604 lbs with the hard cases, full tank of gas. Take the cases off and its real close to the DLX.
 
Rboe_imp said:
Once you start to ride the RT, you'll find where the CB fits in. For me, it's a town bike. The RT looks too big to ride at ease in town; traits that will serve it well on the open road.

The CB does tourer very well, but the RT is at a whole other level.
:thumbsup:

We all have different needs and expectations, but I couldn't have said it better.

Congrats on your new RT. You'll love it as much as your CB1100, but for different reasons.
 
As you now know, going to the dealer to look and see is dangerous! My friend who had a F800GS went to take a peek at the new WC GS. He left with a fully loaded R1200RT just like yours! :D

Love the snow chains on the snow thrower.

Is that a barely visible vintage /2 on the bike lift?
 
Hey! Well done, Chapomis. Congratulations on making a landing on a touring bike. If you can afford both, hang on to the CB; it's a great tonic to many things.
 
Thread starter
EGAlvarez_imp said:
As you now know, going to the dealer to look and see is dangerous! My friend who had a F800GS went to take a peek at the new WC GS. He left with a fully loaded R1200RT just like yours! :D

Love the snow chains on the snow thrower.

Is that a barely visible vintage /2 on the bike lift?
Yes, the salesman I bought the bike from (I think he's the only salesman, maybe even owner) is rebuilding the engine on that bike.

I forgot you had a GS. That was the first BMW I looked at. They actually had a deal on a 15 (even though the word deal doesn't translate into German...... like it does Japanese).
 
Back
Top