Touratech Dry Bags

Personally birds I'd go for a set of traditional soft luggage for about 1/2 the price, and put a garbage bag inside for waterproofing (as a matter of fact that is what I do lol)
 
A guy I work with had to get nice bags like this as his riding buddies were giving him grief every time he pulled out his garbage bagged stuff :) At my age, if you aren't paying for it, I don't care if you like it :)
 
lol I hear ya popgun, but understand I'm a frugal kinda guy. I bought a dry bag to go across my passenger seat for a trip to Cali at Walmart for $13. Worked fine. Didn't have a fancy touring name on it though. I wear HJC helmets instead of Arai or Shoei or Shuberth, and I wear Tourmaster instead of Aerostitch or Held. I ride a Honda Sport Tourer instead of a BMW. He asked for opinions, so I gave him mine.
 
Thread starter
For the money you are getting a quality product. I have never been happy with any "throw over bags" owned before. They would also work well with my waterproof Oxford roll bag.

Ferret, anyone with a closet full of gear like you can afford a little extra for these LOL.
 
Ferret, I got ya. My last sentence was supposed to mean that the garbage bag wouldn't bother me any. If someone doesn't like it, they can buy me a Touratech or too bad. :)
 
redbirds_imp said:
For the money you are getting a quality product. I have never been happy with any "throw over bags" owned before. They would also work well with my waterproof Oxford roll bag.

Ferret, anyone with a closet full of gear like you can afford a little extra for these LOL.
I understand, good gear is called good gear for a reason.

redbirds_imp said:
For the money you are getting a quality product. I have never been happy with any "throw over bags" owned before. They would also work well with my waterproof Oxford roll bag.

Ferret, anyone with a closet full of gear like you can afford a little extra for these LOL.
That last red jacket I bought ...$30 plus ups from guy on ST forum. I buy gear when it's on sale or used. Most expensive helmet I owned I paid $125 for, most are $59-$79

My only outlandish purchases have all been for this CB.. Fox Creek leather jacket (nice coat) which replaced a 10 year old $100 leather coat, the red headlight bucket and chrome inst cups both from Japan and the Fehling luggage rack from Germany.

Can you imagine that wouldn't make a drop in the bucket next to CB4ME's purchases, yet for me that is very out of character and exorbitant.
 
I don't even use side bags. I have a motorcycle-specific dry-bag which goes across the back of my seat and another dry-bag which I purchased from REI for extra stuff. I used to strap the latter on top of the former, but now, with my cool Honda rack (thanks, Ole) I can strap the REI back to the back of the other bag and on top of the rack. Except for those who tour two-up on their CB1100's, I am not sure why you need side bags at all.
 
I like side bags because they keep weight lower on the frame. I've got a nice set of spacious Nelson Rigg bags that I bought for the CB750, but the monster turn signals on the CB1100 make them unusable. I've made a few road trips on the CB11 using dry bags strapped to the seat and rack and that seems to work OK.

One of these days I may get around to relocating the rear turn signals so I can mount road trip sized bags on the CB11.
 
The ferret_imp said:
lol I hear ya popgun, but understand I'm a frugal kinda guy. I bought a dry bag to go across my passenger seat for a trip to Cali at Walmart for $13. Worked fine. Didn't have a fancy touring name on it though. I wear HJC helmets instead of Arai or Shoei or Shuberth, and I wear Tourmaster instead of Aerostitch or Held. I ride a Honda Sport Tourer instead of a BMW. He asked for opinions, so I gave him mine.
To be fair "kinda frugal" might be a better way to put it. (Hey, we've seen the pictures of your gear stash.) :D

Frugal: "I could have bought four of these helmets for the cost of that one."

Kinda frugal: "I bought four of these helmets instead of that one."
 
Flynrider_imp said:
I like side bags because they keep weight lower on the frame. I've got a nice set of spacious Nelson Rigg bags that I bought for the CB750, but the monster turn signals on the CB1100 make them unusable. I've made a few road trips on the CB11 using dry bags strapped to the seat and rack and that seems to work OK.

One of these days I may get around to relocating the rear turn signals so I can mount road trip sized bags on the CB11.
Because of the turn signals, among other inherent design issues, I figured I could not get big enough side bags to make a significant difference in weight distribution. However, I'm not traveling with camping gear or anything else of substantial weight, which would probably influence my luggage configurations.
 
EmptySea_imp said:
Flynrider_imp said:
I like side bags because they keep weight lower on the frame. I've got a nice set of spacious Nelson Rigg bags that I bought for the CB750, but the monster turn signals on the CB1100 make them unusable. I've made a few road trips on the CB11 using dry bags strapped to the seat and rack and that seems to work OK.

One of these days I may get around to relocating the rear turn signals so I can mount road trip sized bags on the CB11.
Because of the turn signals, among other inherent design issues, I figured I could not get big enough side bags to make a significant difference in weight distribution. However, I'm not traveling with camping gear or anything else of substantial weight, which would probably influence my luggage configurations.
Because of the turn signals, among other inherent design issues, I figured I could not get big enough side bags to make a significant difference in weight distribution. However, I'm not traveling with camping gear or anything else of substantial weight, which would probably influence my luggage configurations.
Fiberglass or plastic hard saddlebags give the option of relocating the turn signals on the back of the bag,my 40 year old Shoei's came with the ts like that,unplugged the old stock ts and plugged in the new ones that were on the bags.This was on the old 1975 cb,haven't yet looked at the cb1100 ts electrical connection to see if it will be that simple.If not a simple crimped splice with plugs will do it.I've seen some really inexpensive polywhatever kind of plastic bags out there for the budget minded,they also work well with a bag of ice and a six-pack.
 
Um, I waterproof my bags my self. Have two different methods to make fabric bags waterproof.
I shop a large army surplus store and frequently find some great bags at ridiculous prices, might be Swiss or Italian but so what. Firm believer in the Hefty bag packing method. Actually use clear zip locks for packing so I can find stuff, even when using a suitcase and traveling with my wife.
Read the same write up, looks like good stuff - I just have a really strong ornery streak and hate to look like I'm on my way to/from Starbucks.
 
The review in the original post link said they were made by Ortlieb.
 
Back
Top