touching up cooling fins

The Gecko_imp

Been there
Thread starter
All, has anybody had problems with the paint coming off on the top (left or right) cooling fins of the cyl heads ... in little spots ? I think it happens because of little stones or gravel thrown up by cars or trucks’ tires going down the road in front of me. But it could be for another reason altogether, may be not so good a primer, high temps, all of the above ?
Now has anyone found a lasting and ideally invisible way to fix that ?

And since we are “on the fins”, what is the best product to clean them ?
 
The Gecko_imp said:
All, has anybody had problems with the paint coming off on the top (left or right) cooling fins of the cyl heads ... in little spots ? I think it happens because of little stones or gravel thrown up by cars or trucks’ tires going down the road in front of me. But it could be for another reason altogether, may be not so good a primer, high temps, all of the above ?
Now has anyone found a lasting and ideally invisible way to fix that ?

And since we are “on the fins”, what is the best product to clean them ?
I have a patch missing/flaking in the centre part of the valve cover, no stone chips though, just real bad quality paint or paint prep by Honda. I'll only do something if it spreads.
 
When the bike was first released in Europe and the USA in 2013 there was a UK CB1100 forum. Many members of that complained of what came to be called fin rot — paint flaking off the fins. It was put down to a poor-quality paint job. There is evidence of it on my 2011 CB1100.
 
I had the same issue of paint flaking off the fins with my first 2013 CB
The 2014 Std and DLX do not show the above condition.
 
Thread starter
Mine is a EX, so Honda had even more time to fix it. After a million inline 4 built since the late 60s, one would think they know how to do it right. I was willing to attribute it to stone chips, but now I am .... disappointed ...

well ... at least a little. But won’t do much about it for now.
 
The Gecko_imp said:
Mine is a EX, so Honda had even more time to fix it. After a million inline 4 built since the late 60s, one would think they know how to do it right. I was willing to attribute it to stone chips, but now I am .... disappointed ...

well ... at least a little. But won’t do much about it for now.
Honda mostly likely nailed the process down long ago. As with many things these days, that process would have to be "re-learned" when certain work is out sourced.
 
Hey, 1973, thanks for the tip on that color!
I had been looking for a match, but couldn't find something that was really close.
 
Just got a can of the right sauce and it also works on the cb1000r exhaust, actually it works on the engine and wheels of the cb1000r too, literally sparkles a bit, good job 1973!


Since it is metallic it does need a good shake and thoughtful application ( runners etc. ) try it on something else first, the last time i applied high temp paint it was a bit soft until it gets a few heat cycles, then it hardens up nicely.

 
Back
Top