"Totalled", what's next?

zachamo_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
I was in an accident and my 2013 CB1100 is totalled. (Insert cursing here)
I came out relatively ok, sprained wrist and sore-as-heck body.

Happened on a divided highway in heavy traffic. Semi up ahead stalled, SUV in front of me almost hit car in front of them, I skid 20 or 30 feet into the back of the SUV, which was at a dead stop. There was a car pulled off into the shoulder to the left and traffic to the right, so I took it straight on.

The whole front end is wrecked, almost no damage from headers and back. The tank is dented, maybe from my leg... Insurance is totalling it. I'll get about $6500 back.

I decided on the CB1100 instantly when it came to the USA. I love the retro styling, design quality, smooth engine, everything.

The only desires it doesn't totally fulfil are long distance comfort and accessories, and off road capabilities.
I'm interested in adventure bikes, but the cost is high ,and let's be honest I'll be on the road 90% of the time.

I'm looking into a new CB1100, new yamah FJ-09, or used triumph tiger.
Im not a fan of the CB1100 DLX look, prefer sportier 2013 or black 2014.
FJ-09 isn't as beautiful, but is a very fun, light, powerful sport touring machine. Tiger would have offroad capability.

It's all about the ride, and I think FJ-09 wins there. I'm a visual designer by trade (architecture) so the CB1100 pulls more on those strings. Feeling conflicted.

c1a2e1786aea3aaece1a38b83163d6fc.jpg
 
Wow...glad you're ok! Seriously...it sounds like it could have been much worse. I can't believe they totaled your bike...from the picture, it doesn't look that bad. Replace the front end... and fix the dent, and you're good to go. Perhaps there's more to it than my eye can see...from the photo. If you like that bike...buy another one. It might be slightly used, but I bet you'll have money left over. Check out the for sale section on this forum...I know of at least one 2013 with less than 1000 miles being advertised. Good luck!!
 
Hey Zachamo, glad you came through it relatively ok. - that could have been really bad. I hope you heal up fast. Sorry about your bike. Man that hurts. Good luck with future bike decisions - all the bikes you're looking at were on my radar when I bought my CB1100.
 
Glad you came out with minor injuries Zachamo. As far as the new bike, you may want to consider ABS. It has proven to be effective in situations like the one you were in. As ride4now stated everything on that bike can be replaced. Maybe the head tube is bent but even that can be fixed. Good luck on your decision.
 
I too am glad that you escaped this incident without major injuries. I hope that you heal well and wish you the best of luck figuring out what your next move is going to be when it comes to another bike.
 
Glad to hear you didn't suffer too much damage from the crash. As for the bike, it doesn't take much to total one. You realize that you can buy your bike back from the insurance company, don't you? Years ago I wrecked a sportbike that I had, it got totaled and I bought it back and sold it to my nephew and he put it back together with parts he found on ebay. He got a bike cheap, and I almost got enough to buy a new one.
 
If the frame got bent it's all over. I'd bet the neck took some damage and that's why they totaled it.
 
He can get another. Thank goodness he is OK.
 
I'm like all the others here saying that it's great you're okay. That's page one!

It's also good that you didn't let the crash take you out of motorcycling.

Last, I don't know what the bike market is like in ND, but around here, brand new, leftover '13s are going for $7k. Used are only slightly less. I read good things about the '15 FJ-09 and hear good reports on the Tiger as well.

Ride on and take care!
 
So how much would a totaled CB1100 like that be? A lot of good parts are on it...
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
So how much would a totaled CB1100 like that be? A lot of good parts are on it...
True dat! The short engine's gotta be worth over a grand alone.
 
G'day Zachamo. Really pleased you came through that relatively unscathed.

How much did you enjoy the CB1100? Enough to be secretly pleases at the opportunity to replace it? Or do you want another one?
 
Darn glad you're ok.

If they total the bike then they probably take possession of it. You may want to inquire how much it would be to buy the whole thing off of them and then sell the pieces yourself.
 
Well.....seeing mine wrecked hurt, but not as much as the broken collarbone...and ribs....and punctured lung....and....and...lol.
 
I'm glad to see your OK. Sad to see a bent up CB. Ill sell you mine for $6500 and get you back on the road! See the "for sale" section.
 
Dang you guys..STOP this wrecking stuff!

Glad to hear you are ok. bikes are replaceable.
 
I join everyone here in saying I'm glad you weren't more seriously hurt! As far as the replacement bike goes, I don't think the FJ is a bad looking bike at all. It appears to be very functional and I'm sure you'll enjoy yourself on it. With that said, there are any other number of functional bikes out there that would most likely suit you just as well. The CB11, I feel, truly is a modern classic with what appears to be a limited production run. Our CBs will become harder and harder to get. And you just can't beat the styling. I'd run out and get another CB! I am, admittedly and unabashedly, biased.
 
Back
Top