Total Sales Numbers

Paulb_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Just wondering if anyone knows the sales figures worldwide for the CB1100. I'm interested because I know its a rare bike in the UK, 44 imported in 2014 and 88 in 2015. I assume it is more popular in other countries.
 
We have been wondering that for years. Honda does not release those figures.
 
The Veh ID #s have the respective serial number. It is worldwide. I have # 1068 and I purchased mine within 3 weeks of US intro. There shouldn't be many lower, but from posts, I have read the opposite. Let's see who has what #s & the highest.



Additional Info:
The 10th digit represents the model year. See Motorcycle VINs.

The 11th digit of each Honda motorcycle VIN is a letter which indicates the plant in which the bike was built. Below you will find a chart of these letters and their corresponding assembly plant.

11th Digit of VIN Honda Manufacturing Plant
A Ohio, USA
B Aalst, Belgium
C Saitama, Japan
D Guadalajara, Mexico
E Montesa, Spain
F Atessa, Italy
K Kumamoto, Japan
M Hamamatsu, Japan
R Manaus, Brazil
S Suzuka, Japan
T Tochigi, Japan

The last 6 digits represent the sequential vehicle production number. So if the last 6 digits of your bike's ID number are 000352, your bike is the three hundred and fifty 2nd bike made for that year.
 
Paulb_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
We have been wondering that for years. Honda does not release those figures.
How popular is the bike in the US?
How popular is the bike in the US?

Depends on who you ask and what their expectations are. i think it's pretty popular considering it's a niche bike and not a cruiser or a 600cc sport bike
 
quietguy_imp said:
Based on your diagram, Rbike, mine is 100033.

I had to look at more than 1 place to get all the "correct" information. I updated the post with additional details.
 
With so many manufacturing sites, I am wondering how the sequential production number can be "unique?" I mean, if plants in several locations are all making bikes on the same day, how would they know which plant is making the very next one? (If this is a dumb question, please remember I am pushing 80.) My intuition tell me that each plant would start at sequential number 1. Please enlighten me.
 
It's highly unlikely this bike was manufactured at more than one plant. I'd also wager Honda made the CB in batches for each market, not one at a time. Thus, #066, #174 and #353 were all made to the same spec, on the same production run, for export to the same market (as an example).
 
As far as I know, CB1100s have been manufactured only at the Kumamoto (K) plant. I, too, would be surprised to see one from any other plant.
 
Bokobob_imp said:
With so many manufacturing sites, I am wondering how the sequential production number can be "unique?" I mean, if plants in several locations are all making bikes on the same day, how would they know which plant is making the very next one? (If this is a dumb question, please remember I am pushing 80.) My intuition tell me that each plant would start at sequential number 1. Please enlighten me.
Every step of the manufacture is computer tracked. The computer would spit out a VIN and then "cross it off" as being used. This could by synced across plants.

There is no actual standard that manufacturers must follow for the idivodual identity section of the VIN, but the numbers must be unique to each vehicle, with no duplicates.

The VIN process is governed by ISO3779 standard.
 
Honda sequential serial numbers are not unique. The sequential numbers (last 5 VIN digits) are unique to each model and market that the production run was destined for. Honda uses the model designation field (Vehicle Descriptor field) to identify both the model and market.

That's why you'll find duplicate serial numbers in this forum's registry for bikes of the same year that come from the U.S. and European markets. You'll also find duplicate numbers for U.S. DLX and standard models in the '14 model year.

If you wanted to figure out total production numbers, the best bet would be to find the highest serial numbers from each model/market and add them all up.
 
Apropos numbers manufactured, you could hazard a guess for the US market based on the US data in the Registry.

The highest VIN for a 2013 is 1785—so round it up to 1800; for the 2013 ABS it's 1069—say 1100; for the 2014 STD it's 2460—say 2500; and for the DLX it's 299—say 300.

That would mean 2900 bikes in 2013 and 2800 in 2014 just in the US.
 
At January 1, 2015, there were overall 683 CB 1100 motorcycle registered at the German KBA (Kraftfahrt-Bundesamt == Federal Office for Motor Traffic).

Januar 2014 there were 332 registrations.

In the year 2013 the CB was introduced to the German market. So 332 buys for the 1. year (2013), 351 more buys for the 2. year (2014)

I'm curious about the number for Jan. 1, 2016. However, I don't expect >300 new registrations for the year 2015 here in Germany. But goodness knows.

http://www.kba.de/DE/Presse/Presseportal/FZ_Bestand/fz2_Bestand_kfz_herst_handelsnamen_inhalt.html
 
Back
Top