Top speed

ronss_imp said:
I Had thoughts of this bike, wanting it, but after reading about the speed limiter, no thanks..that is allmost anti-american...what were the japs thinking, and only one color, red?? i like black...you wonder what honda is thinking, you get the idea they really don,t care.....
I thank Honda every day for bringing this bike to the US.

The speed limiter can be shut off with a remap.

As far as color, 3 of the last 5 bikes I've owned were available in one color. And personally, I like the red.
 
CB4ME_imp said:
ronss_imp said:
I Had thoughts of this bike, wanting it, but after reading about the speed limiter, no thanks..that is allmost anti-american...what were the japs thinking, and only one color, red?? i like black...you wonder what honda is thinking, you get the idea they really don,t care.....
I thank Honda every day for bringing this bike to the US.

The speed limiter can be shut off with a remap.

As far as color, 3 of the last 5 bikes I've owned were available in one color. And personally, I like the red.
Nobody has found this to be true as of yet...not even our German friends that have the legal ability to use it.

I'm not saying you're incorrect, just that it hasn't been done yet.
 
ronss_imp said:
I Had thoughts of this bike, wanting it, but after reading about the speed limiter, no thanks..that is allmost anti-american...what were the japs thinking, and only one color, red?? i like black...you wonder what honda is thinking, you get the idea they really don,t care.....
Fortunately for you, there are plenty of other options out there.

Fortunately for me, I don't share the same concerns.
 
I did about 250 miles today with a pal on an FZ-8. That's a quick bike, and I had no trouble keeping up with or passing him. A couple times I realized we'd gotten to well over 100, and the bike wasn't the least bit stressed. I'm just glad FHP didn't notice!
 
The Spaceman_imp said:
I did about 250 miles today with a pal on an FZ-8. That's a quick bike, and I had no trouble keeping up with or passing him. A couple times I realized we'd gotten to well over 100, and the bike wasn't the least bit stressed. I'm just glad FHP didn't notice!
Yep, the bike is solid as a rock all the way up to 112 (and probably beyond). The only real issue at those speeds is trying to hang on. Any of the smaller windshields take care of that.
 
Flynrider_imp said:
The Spaceman_imp said:
I did about 250 miles today with a pal on an FZ-8. That's a quick bike, and I had no trouble keeping up with or passing him. A couple times I realized we'd gotten to well over 100, and the bike wasn't the least bit stressed. I'm just glad FHP didn't notice!
Yep, the bike is solid as a rock all the way up to 112 (and probably beyond). The only real issue at those speeds is trying to hang on. Any of the smaller windshields take care of that.
Yep, the bike is solid as a rock all the way up to 112 (and probably beyond). The only real issue at those speeds is trying to hang on. Any of the smaller windshields take care of that.
Dart Flyscreen! 100 feels just like 60 from the helmet down. And you can duck into "the bubble" if you want to and have no air pressure at all.
 
I own both bikes. The FZ8 is drastically faster, everywhere. Even pulls cleaner and quicker from 2,000 rpm. Pineapples and mangoes. I guess I should elaborate a bit; the bikes are posting pretty similar 1/4 mile and roll-on times, but those are done on a straight piece of road under controlled conditions. It's obvious that the FZ8 makes a lot more raw HP, 96 compared to 84 for the CB1100, but the CB does make more torque, especially at low RPM. However, that just doesn't come into play in an outright honk to rip up to speed. The CB1100, weighing 80 more pounds, has a huge weight disadvantage. HP/weight is 1:4.86 for the Yamaha and 1:6.45 for the Honda but that's not the whole story. I've posted myself here about how quick the CB can be if one keeps the tach between 6-8K, but obviously you're already breaking most speed limits just in second gear there. The FZ8 is just getting started when the CB is hitting the rev limiter. The FZ8 makes over 80 HP at 8000 RPM and just keeps swinging until past 11K. It's not so much even about the HP though as the willingness of the FZ8's engine to rev quickly and freely, and for the bike itself to accelerate easily. All the rotating mass in the FZ8's engine is much lighter than in the CB's, and its wheels are lighter. Combine that with the 80 pound weight difference and you have a bike, in the FZ8, that accelerates very briskly and easily. I would never have even thought to compare the two bikes in the same sentence but since its been done, I'm just going on the record so as to not have anyone come away thinking a CB1100 will give the FZ8 any kind of run for its money in the real world. It won't.
Uh, mine makes 93HP.:thumbsup:
 
At a drag strip I'd prefer the FZ 8..... On the curvy country roads I ride where torque is better than raw hp, the CB is a more satisfying ride.

Sold an FZ 1 which made 124 hp, but was rarely able to use all of it, to buy the CB.

In the rev range I ride ( below 6000 rpms) the CB may make more HP and torque than the FZ did and probably more than the FZ 8 does.
Heres an interesting speed question:

Would you rather shift at redline

Where the bike makes peak horsepower

Or where the bike makes peak torque?
 
The ferret_imp said:
At a drag strip I'd prefer the FZ 8..... On the curvy country roads I ride where torque is better than raw hp, the CB is a more satisfying ride.

Sold an FZ 1 which made 124 hp, but was rarely able to use all of it, to buy the CB.

In the rev range I ride ( below 6000 rpms) the CB may make more HP and torque than the FZ did and probably more than the FZ 8 does.
Heres an interesting speed question:

Would you rather shift at redline

Where the bike makes peak horsepower

Or where the bike makes peak torque?
Depends on what you want to accomplish. If you're at the dragstrip, you're going to want to be shifting when the the hp has peaked. On most bikes this is pretty close to redline, but according to the dyno charts I've seen, the CB peaks at around 7200.

The CB delivers about 90% of peak torque starting at around 2800 rpm and peaks shortly thereafter. I wouldn't want to be lugging the engine by shifting that low all of the time. Since the the torque curve stays relatvely flat from the 3000 rpm range and up, it really doesn't matter if you shift at the peak or sometime after that. The torque delivered will be about the same.

I think Honda did an excellent job tuning this engine. They knew that the target market was not going to buy based on hp numbers, so they traded off hp for usable power throughout the rpm range. The result is a very well balanced engine with a flat torque curve and the most linear power band I can recall seeing on a dyno chart.
 
http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/95501...lery-Photo/2013-Honda-CB1100-Second-Ride.aspx

Max horsepower on the CB comes in at 7300.... Max torque at 5800

The perfect powerband for someone like me that doesn't like to rev over 6000 rpms...and is why poster "stretch" found the bike so quick when keeping it between 6 and 8 thousand...since he was bouncing back and forth between peak torque and peak horsepower. 6K to 7K is the sweet spot on these bikes as far as performance goes.

Should add though you are in a very meaty part of the power from about 3500 on up. Just look how flat the torque curve is in the above dyno graph. __________________________ Lol
 
Flynrider_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
At a drag strip I'd prefer the FZ 8..... On the curvy country roads I ride where torque is better than raw hp, the CB is a more satisfying ride.

Sold an FZ 1 which made 124 hp, but was rarely able to use all of it, to buy the CB.

In the rev range I ride ( below 6000 rpms) the CB may make more HP and torque than the FZ did and probably more than the FZ 8 does.
Heres an interesting speed question:

Would you rather shift at redline

Where the bike makes peak horsepower

Or where the bike makes peak torque?
Depends on what you want to accomplish. If you're at the dragstrip, you're going to want to be shifting when the the hp has peaked. On most bikes this is pretty close to redline, but according to the dyno charts I've seen, the CB peaks at around 7200.

The CB delivers about 90% of peak torque starting at around 2800 rpm and peaks shortly thereafter. I wouldn't want to be lugging the engine by shifting that low all of the time. Since the the torque curve stays relatvely flat from the 3000 rpm range and up, it really doesn't matter if you shift at the peak or sometime after that. The torque delivered will be about the same.

I think Honda did an excellent job tuning this engine. They knew that the target market was not going to buy based on hp numbers, so they traded off hp for usable power throughout the rpm range. The result is a very well balanced engine with a flat torque curve and the most linear power band I can recall seeing on a dyno chart.
Depends on what you want to accomplish. If you're at the dragstrip, you're going to want to be shifting when the the hp has peaked. On most bikes this is pretty close to redline, but according to the dyno charts I've seen, the CB peaks at around 7200.

The CB delivers about 90% of peak torque starting at around 2800 rpm and peaks shortly thereafter. I wouldn't want to be lugging the engine by shifting that low all of the time. Since the the torque curve stays relatvely flat from the 3000 rpm range and up, it really doesn't matter if you shift at the peak or sometime after that. The torque delivered will be about the same.

I think Honda did an excellent job tuning this engine. They knew that the target market was not going to buy based on hp numbers, so they traded off hp for usable power throughout the rpm range. The result is a very well balanced engine with a flat torque curve and the most linear power band I can recall seeing on a dyno chart. I just wring out every gear and let that nice limiter do the thinking for me!! :excited:
 
What is there to be said from an engineering perspective of the CB1100 engine not being designed for top speed? Camshafts. Valves. I blew up a Chevy Chevette once. Snapped a con rod. It could not handle those rpms.
 
buck80mph_imp said:
Flynrider_imp said:
buck80mph_imp said:
jamboa_imp said:
Turned. 600 miles. With all the luggage ready for a 4K road trip it only does 110 mph and pulls but 6500 rpms
They should enable all bikes to pull to redline in top gear!
The CB11 was robbed!!:@

But the low end is much more important...
JESTER_imp said:
110.......i find that number hard to take...i got into full areo tuck and hit 130 before i backed out of it.
Was a Speed Triple pulling u? :P
Was a Speed Triple pulling u? :P
Not necessary. With the proper profile, the CB11 could probably reach that speed if dropped from about 5,000 ft. :P
Was a Speed Triple pulling u? :P
Not necessary. With the proper profile, the CB11 could probably reach that speed if dropped from about 5,000 ft. :P
Lol! Here in south Louisiana the only way to acheive 5k ft. is by aviation...
Was a Speed Triple pulling u? :P
Not necessary. With the proper profile, the CB11 could probably reach that speed if dropped from about 5,000 ft. :P
Lol! Here in south Louisiana the only way to acheive 5k ft. is by
aviation...
Ah, the promise of optimistic speedos - the only way a stock CB1100 will do 130 mph is down a mine shaft with a tail wind!
 
nhawk7504_imp said:
What is there to be said from an engineering perspective of the CB1100 engine not being designed for top speed? Camshafts. Valves. I blew up a Chevy Chevette once. Snapped a con rod. It could not handle those rpms.
Vehicle speed and engine speed are two totally different things. Also, though it doesn't look modern, this Honda was built with modern technology. Very modern.

Rev limiter is set by the factory and 8000RPM (or any RPM) in 1st gear is the same as in 5th gear. The transmission and everything else sees the difference. Engine does not. The time you spend at these speed may reduce longevity, but I severely doubt this. Again, modern engine, modern design; high load for 30sec-1min at near rev limiter with ample air flow won't mean a thing.
 
kDiqq_imp said:
nhawk7504_imp said:
What is there to be said from an engineering perspective of the CB1100 engine not being designed for top speed? Camshafts. Valves. I blew up a Chevy Chevette once. Snapped a con rod. It could not handle those rpms.
Vehicle speed and engine speed are two totally different things. Also, though it doesn't look modern, this Honda was built with modern technology. Very modern.

Rev limiter is set by the factory and 8000RPM (or any RPM) in 1st gear is the same as in 5th gear. The transmission and everything else sees the difference. Engine does not. The time you spend at these speed may reduce longevity, but I severely doubt this. Again, modern engine, modern design; high load for 30sec-1min at near rev limiter with ample air flow won't mean a thing.
What do you mean at any or RPM in 1st and 5th????
 
Rev limiter is not the same as the speed limiter. They may function similarly, but they are not the same.
 
holy666diver_imp said:
kDiqq_imp said:
nhawk7504_imp said:
What is there to be said from an engineering perspective of the CB1100 engine not being designed for top speed? Camshafts. Valves. I blew up a Chevy Chevette once. Snapped a con rod. It could not handle those rpms.
Vehicle speed and engine speed are two totally different things. Also, though it doesn't look modern, this Honda was built with modern technology. Very modern.

Rev limiter is set by the factory and 8000RPM (or any RPM) in 1st gear is the same as in 5th gear. The transmission and everything else sees the difference. Engine does not. The time you spend at these speed may reduce longevity, but I severely doubt this. Again, modern engine, modern design; high load for 30sec-1min at near rev limiter with ample air flow won't mean a thing.
What do you mean at any or RPM in 1st and 5th????
What do you mean at any or RPM in 1st and 5th????
Sorry, I was trying to make the point that speed doesn't affect engine stress dramatically. If you're doing 8000RPM (or any RPM) the engine has no idea what gear you're in (whether it be 1st, 2nd, 4th, whatever). So it's not like doing 8000RPM under full load in 1st is different than 5th. So if you maintain the factory rev limiter, go as fast as you want. Rev limiter will prevent snapped/broken anything as a result to the engine speed being too high.
 
Oh that makes sense. Yeah I get freaked out going over 90mph which my bike does easily. Don't ever see myself going over 100moh so the speed cap doesn't bother me. My last bike I was all about modding the top speed, horsepower ect. but this bike is more of "a keeper" I want it to last and not planning on taking it to a track
 
Back
Top