top speed, quarter mile

In the words of Tyler Durden: The first rule of the CB1100forum is: you do not talk about SPEED LIMITER. The second rule is: you do not talk about SPEED LIMITER. The third rule is: if somebody yells STOP you stop... Wait! Imposing rules on this forum means placing a LIMIT on this forum. That will be Unconstitutional. That will be the same as deleting dBuster's post deemed inappropiate. I hope I don't open a CAN of worms with this comment.

This is a mere suggestion. I am obviously not the moderator, but Rules of engagement can be beneficial sometimes.
(how many pages on this topic?)
 
SnowCrash_imp said:
I have to say, this is literally the first forum I have ever visited where users WELCOME their brand new motorcycles being LIMITED. I can't believe what I am reading, has anyone read my previous post here? My mind is completely blown.

Part of owning and riding a motorcycle is taking responsibility for the dangers and power that you have at your wrist. You are giving up that responsibility by letting them cap you with a limiter.

For those of you who never do three digits and say 'oh it doesn't affect me so I don't care', then you have no reason to post in this topic or the right to an opinion, because it (as you said) does not affect you. I'm all for safety, but good god what happened to your motorcycling spirit?

If you feel Honda should limit you for your own good, you really shouldn't be riding. or driving. Hell, you should just go to a place where they wipe your butt and feed you through a tube for maximum knowledge of 'what is best for you'.
I am one of those that seldom does 3 digits, I spent a lot of time doing that when I was younger, been there done that. Besides, I live in the DFW area, and short of going to a track, it is very difficult to find a suitable spot to open it up anyway. Traffic is congested everywhere and I choose the responsibility of not endangering others. This is the more important responsibility that we carry as motorcyclists and as members of society.

I won't bother repeating what has been said a dozen times in this thread, regarding Honda choosing not to change the Japanese version of the bike, but I will point out to you that if you bought this bike looking for a Super Sport, then your money would have been more sensibly spent on the CB1000R that was likely sitting next to the CB1100 at the dealership.

The strength of this bike is it's versatility, it is an awesome bike for just riding around, particularly in traffic. It is an 11 second bike, so it is not exactly a slug, in fact, acceleration is very good right up to the limiter, it tops out in a 1/4 mile. How often do you do that? or need to go faster? Really?

In my case, I researched the bike very carefully BEFORE I purchased it, every magazine that tested the bike pointed out the limiter, it was not a surprise, if you purchased the bike, you accepted the limiter.
 
SnowCrash_imp said:
I have to say, this is literally the first forum I have ever visited where users WELCOME their brand new motorcycles being LIMITED. I can't believe what I am reading, has anyone read my previous post here? My mind is completely blown.

Part of owning and riding a motorcycle is taking responsibility for the dangers and power that you have at your wrist. You are giving up that responsibility by letting them cap you with a limiter.

For those of you who never do three digits and say 'oh it doesn't affect me so I don't care', then you have no reason to post in this topic or the right to an opinion, because it (as you said) does not affect you. I'm all for safety, but good god what happened to your motorcycling spirit?

If you feel Honda should limit you for your own good, you really shouldn't be riding. or driving. Hell, you should just go to a place where they wipe your butt and feed you through a tube for maximum knowledge of 'what is best for you'.
Snow,

Good grief, I suggest a switch to decaf. So let me get this straight. I have no right to post, should go to a place where they wipe my butt, I "welcome" the limiter, have no motorcycleing spirit, I don't take responsibility, and should go to a place where they feed me through a tube. OK. Perhaps that's asking a lot of someone who has a different opinion.

Oh, and I think that Honda needs to limit me "for my own good".

FWIW, Honda neither knows or cares what's good for me. Honda put that limiter there because they thought it would be good for Honda. You drive on public roads that have limits, your passenger car almost certainly has a limiter, and you live in a state and country that limit you in thousands of ways. Does everybody in Texas need to have their butts wiped?

I removed the 205 mph limiter on my Ford GT, doubled its HP with twin turbos, and did 220+ at the Texas Mile. I didn't carp about Ford putting a limiter on my GT, they had their own reasons for doing it. I removed it for my own reasons. If I ever feel the need to I'll remove it from my CB as well.

I appreciate your passion but I'm going to suggest that when you start to flame other members opinions and then suggest they have no right to post that you are going too far. When everybody feels like they can post up what they know, or think they know, the best info will become evident. But when you start flaming the opinions you don't like, some members won't post and this Forum will be poorer for it. Be nice.

Chip
 
I keep waiting for someone to flaunt the fact that they were actually able to summon the intelligence to overcome the limiter to their satisfaction.
 
Guth_imp said:
I keep waiting for someone to flaunt the fact that they were actually able to summon the intelligence to overcome the limiter to their satisfaction.

I over came the limiter! Don't even know it is there, so it doesn't bug me, so i over came the fact it is or was there.

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk 4.1.4
 
Honda probably installed the limiter because unfortunately we live in a litigious society these days and some idiot will have an accident doing 120 mph, blame Honda, and file a lawsuit blah blah blah....
 
Deanohh_imp said:
Nice lecture, Dad.

I think Deanohh was negatively commenting on ChipBeck's prior post. However, Chip's post was more courteous than the Snow Crash post Chip was responding to. For example, Chip didn't suggest that people with differing opinions belong in a home and should have others "wipe butts," which Snow Crash did.

We're all riders so why not express those opinions in a way that recognizes our community. I thought Chip expressed his opinions strongly, but without resorting to offensive language. Snow Crash's post was...not as courteous. Chip's response is a good model I personally will try to follow.

You meet the nicest people on a Honda, after all.
 
Guth_imp said:
I keep waiting for someone to flaunt the fact that they were actually able to summon the intelligence to overcome the limiter to their satisfaction.
I'm sure someone around here has researched this, but Power Commander has a module for the CB1100, and a device that changes maps, among other devices. I haven't researched it, but perhaps they have a map that disables the limiter. A phone call would probably confirm it. I'm not completely familiar with the power commander's capabilities.

I won't be needing to disable it anytime soon, particularly not before the addition of a fairing. :)
Blockhead_imp said:
Honda probably installed the limiter because unfortunately we live in a litigious society these days and some idiot will have an accident doing 120 mph, blame Honda, and file a lawsuit blah blah blah....
Very likely a part of their reasoning, I wonder if the limiter thing is making a difference in Japan?
 
davidsargee_imp said:
Guth_imp said:
I keep waiting for someone to flaunt the fact that they were actually able to summon the intelligence to overcome the limiter to their satisfaction.
I'm sure someone around here has researched this, but Power Commander has a module for the CB1100, and a device that changes maps, among other devices. I haven't researched it, but perhaps they have a map that disables the limiter. A phone call would probably confirm it. I'm not completely familiar with the power commander's capabilities.

I won't be needing to disable it anytime soon, particularly not before the addition of a fairing. :)
Blockhead_imp said:
Honda probably installed the limiter because unfortunately we live in a litigious society these days and some idiot will have an accident doing 120 mph, blame Honda, and file a lawsuit blah blah blah....
Very likely a part of their reasoning, I wonder if the limiter thing is making a difference in Japan?
They haven't as of yet.
 
rjk555_imp said:
Mike Bee_imp said:
I seriously doubt Honda left the speed limiter installed as a "legacy" piece of equipment. Never seen that written up anywhere except on this forum. If the company can afford to modify the CB1100 to meet widely different government regulations, change paint colors on tanks, engines & wheels, they could remove or re-program the limiter on some of their exported CB1100's. We know the company manufactures many motorcycles that will exceed 112 mph. The limiter (and oil cooler) is there to manage engine heat under extreme conditions - nothing else. Properly enrich the fuel mixture, and this precaution would be unnecessary.

~ The Bee
Thanks for your response. By "legacy equipment" I mean the limiter existed in prior versions of the bike, as opposed to subsequently being added onto the US version only.

Certainly Honda has the technical expertise to remove the limiter or make other changes to the original version. And it makes business sense to retool the bike to meet US regulatory requirements (won't be allowed here otherwise), and so forth. The question is whether it makes similar business sense for Honda to remove the limiter on the US version. It costs money and resources to retool a bike. If Honda thought the majority of the intended US audience for the CB1100 wanted to go faster than 112 mph, they would have incurred that expense and removed the limiter in the US version. If their business projections didn't perceive such a desire, the limiter doesn't get removed. This assumes the idea of the limiter even approached Honda's radar at all. As many posters to this thread noted, its only this forum where the limiter issue came up. Not on anyone else's radar. I hope this clarification helps.
Thanks for your response. By "legacy equipment" I mean the limiter existed in prior versions of the bike, as opposed to subsequently being added onto the US version only.

Certainly Honda has the technical expertise to remove the limiter or make other changes to the original version. And it makes business sense to retool the bike to meet US regulatory requirements (won't be allowed here otherwise), and so forth. The question is whether it makes similar business sense for Honda to remove the limiter on the US version. It costs money and resources to retool a bike. If Honda thought the majority of the intended US audience for the CB1100 wanted to go faster than 112 mph, they would have incurred that expense and removed the limiter in the US version. If their business projections didn't perceive such a desire, the limiter doesn't get removed. This assumes the idea of the limiter even approached Honda's radar at all. As many posters to this thread noted, its only this forum where the limiter issue came up. Not on anyone else's radar. I hope this clarification helps.
I guess I didn't make myself clear in my post. Yes, a retool costs money but that is exactly what they have done repeatedly with different versions appearing in different countries.

The speed limiter and the oil cooler were installed because the CB1100 has an air-cooled engine that is mandated to run lean and therefore hot. You can be absolutely sure the limiter more than entered Honda's radar. They installed the limiter (and cooler) by design so the CB1100 would run reliably under the strictures of government clean air requirements. That's all there is to it.

~ The Bee
 
Mike Bee the limiter is for speed, not stress. You could ride it around all day at redline in 1st, 2 nd or 3rd. Is the bike running any richer at redline in 3 rd than in 5 th ?

Have you read somewhere that Honda installed it in our bikes to help meet epa regs or lessen stress because I have not. I'd believe that about the oil cooler, but that doesn't seem logical about the limiter. Logically the Legacy equipment theory for the limiter makes more sense to me.

Could Honda have reprogrammed it for no limiter? Sure. My guess is they market researched it, discussed it, and felt it wasn't necessary to do so.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Mike Bee the limiter is for speed, not stress. You could ride it around all day at redline in 1st, 2 nd or 3rd. Is the bike running any richer at redline in 3 rd than in 5 th ?

Have you read somewhere that Honda installed it in our bikes to help meet epa regs or lessen stress because I have not. I'd believe that about the oil cooler, but that doesn't seem logical about the limiter. Logically the Legacy equipment theory for the limiter makes more sense to me.

Could Honda have reprogrammed it for no limiter? Sure. My guess is they market researched it, discussed it, and felt it wasn't necessary to do so.
The bike runs lean all of the time, so the potential for overheating would be a prime design concern, rpm's notwithstanding. Kudos to Honda for producing such a sweet/lean running engine! Yes, more rpm's, or explosions per minute, will produce more heat, but so would increased engine load in higher gears. But the heat produced is countered by an air/fuel intake charge that will cool the cylinder head - more of them per minute will cool it even more. A leaner air/fuel mixture will defeat this intake cooling effect to some degree (pun intended).

And yes, I have seen this explanation for having a speed limiter written up in a motorcycle mag. See the July 2013 issue of "Motorcycle Consumer News", pg. 12 in a review written by Dave Searle. This was not his opinion - it was a Honda design goal.

~ The Bee
 
Regardless of whether or not I buy into this, here is the text from the July 2013 issue of Motorcycle Consumer News mentioned by Mike:

"Its top speed is governed, bouncing off a soft limiter between 108–110 mph. The engine will only pull 6900 rpm in top gear, and fourth won’t make it go any faster. The reason, we are told, is to reduce engine temperatures, so as to insure the reliability of its air-cooled engine."
 
Mike Bee_imp said:
rjk555_imp said:
Mike Bee_imp said:
I seriously doubt Honda left the speed limiter installed as a "legacy" piece of equipment. Never seen that written up anywhere except on this forum. If the company can afford to modify the CB1100 to meet widely different government regulations, change paint colors on tanks, engines & wheels, they could remove or re-program the limiter on some of their exported CB1100's. We know the company manufactures many motorcycles that will exceed 112 mph. The limiter (and oil cooler) is there to manage engine heat under extreme conditions - nothing else. Properly enrich the fuel mixture, and this precaution would be unnecessary.

~ The Bee
Thanks for your response. By "legacy equipment" I mean the limiter existed in prior versions of the bike, as opposed to subsequently being added onto the US version only.

Certainly Honda has the technical expertise to remove the limiter or make other changes to the original version. And it makes business sense to retool the bike to meet US regulatory requirements (won't be allowed here otherwise), and so forth. The question is whether it makes similar business sense for Honda to remove the limiter on the US version. It costs money and resources to retool a bike. If Honda thought the majority of the intended US audience for the CB1100 wanted to go faster than 112 mph, they would have incurred that expense and removed the limiter in the US version. If their business projections didn't perceive such a desire, the limiter doesn't get removed. This assumes the idea of the limiter even approached Honda's radar at all. As many posters to this thread noted, its only this forum where the limiter issue came up. Not on anyone else's radar. I hope this clarification helps.
Thanks for your response. By "legacy equipment" I mean the limiter existed in prior versions of the bike, as opposed to subsequently being added onto the US version only.

Certainly Honda has the technical expertise to remove the limiter or make other changes to the original version. And it makes business sense to retool the bike to meet US regulatory requirements (won't be allowed here otherwise), and so forth. The question is whether it makes similar business sense for Honda to remove the limiter on the US version. It costs money and resources to retool a bike. If Honda thought the majority of the intended US audience for the CB1100 wanted to go faster than 112 mph, they would have incurred that expense and removed the limiter in the US version. If their business projections didn't perceive such a desire, the limiter doesn't get removed. This assumes the idea of the limiter even approached Honda's radar at all. As many posters to this thread noted, its only this forum where the limiter issue came up. Not on anyone else's radar. I hope this clarification helps.
I guess I didn't make myself clear in my post. Yes, a retool costs money but that is exactly what they have done repeatedly with different versions appearing in different countries.

The speed limiter and the oil cooler were installed because the CB1100 has an air-cooled engine that is mandated to run lean and therefore hot. You can be absolutely sure the limiter more than entered Honda's radar. They installed the limiter (and cooler) by design so the CB1100 would run reliably under the strictures of government clean air requirements. That's all there is to it.

~ The Bee
Thanks for your response. By "legacy equipment" I mean the limiter existed in prior versions of the bike, as opposed to subsequently being added onto the US version only.

Certainly Honda has the technical expertise to remove the limiter or make other changes to the original version. And it makes business sense to retool the bike to meet US regulatory requirements (won't be allowed here otherwise), and so forth. The question is whether it makes similar business sense for Honda to remove the limiter on the US version. It costs money and resources to retool a bike. If Honda thought the majority of the intended US audience for the CB1100 wanted to go faster than 112 mph, they would have incurred that expense and removed the limiter in the US version. If their business projections didn't perceive such a desire, the limiter doesn't get removed. This assumes the idea of the limiter even approached Honda's radar at all. As many posters to this thread noted, its only this forum where the limiter issue came up. Not on anyone else's radar. I hope this clarification helps.
I guess I didn't make myself clear in my post. Yes, a retool costs money but that is exactly what they have done repeatedly with different versions appearing in different countries.

The speed limiter and the oil cooler were installed because the CB1100 has an air-cooled engine that is mandated to run lean and therefore hot. You can be absolutely sure the limiter more than entered Honda's radar. They installed the limiter (and cooler) by design so the CB1100 would run reliably under the strictures of government clean air requirements. That's all there is to it.

~ The Bee

Bee,

Your explanation works for me. In fact, we're in the same ballpark. You said the limiter was included in the bike by design. That's similar to what I said that the limiter was part of the original version of the bike, and was not added onto the US version as some kind of "big brother" public safety component intended to protect the US public from itself as some forum posters appear to believe.

When I said the limiter didn't enter into Honda's radar, I meant Honda had no business reason to remove the limiter in the US version for export. It would cost them money to retool, for no discernible return (ie no profit). If I read your message correctly, you're also indicating Honda has little engineering reason to retool as well. So again I think we're in the same ballpark. I hope this clarification helps, as yours did.
 
So is running crappy at a slow steady speed something they programmed into the ecu just for the USA or is that the same for everybody?
 
Deanohh_imp said:
So is running crappy at a slow steady speed something they programmed into the ecu just for the USA or is that the same for everybody?
It's domestic legacy. :rofl:

Seriously, does yours run crappy at slow steady speed?
 
The ferret_imp said:
Deanohh_imp said:
So is running crappy at a slow steady speed something they programmed into the ecu just for the USA or is that the same for everybody?
It's domestic legacy. :rofl:

Seriously, does yours run crappy at slow steady speed?
It's domestic legacy. :rofl:

Seriously, does yours run crappy at slow steady speed?
going 2blocks from my house in 1or 2nd, 1600-2100 rpm was perfect when cold then running rough and sputtering when warm and coming home.... Until the power commander... Now good all the time.

also see hondajon on low rpm stumble.
 
Crap or not, I posted this so that people could see what Mike Bee was referring to. But yes, an extra large grain of salt would seem to be appropriate to accompany this noted statement.
 
Back
Top