Tool Recommendations for CB1100

Yata-Garasu_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Looking for tools to work on my CB1100 and Honda Shadows.

I had to change a headlight bulb today using the open ended 8mm wrench that I found in the Shadow tool kit. It worked but was less than ideal.

The right tool would have been a racheting box wrench... Even my smallest socket handle was too big to fit in the small space under the headlight assembly.

I used to just buy Craftsman tools, but there are no Sears around me anymore.

Many years ago I got a nice set of sockets from Kmart that were made in Taiwan and very good quality. I still have those.

Lowe's has a decent house brand for some stuff, can't remember the brand name, but they're not cheap.

Figured I'd ask the group here and maybe I'll find something good that I didn't know about. Thanks in advance!
 
Buy GOOD tools and not cheap ones , there are many great quality wrenches and socket sets available . If you buy good ones they will last you a life time.
I still have all my tools I bought 60 years ago , mainly Germen made ones as I was living in Holland at that time.
 
You can get Craftsman tools at both Lowe`s ans Ace hardware. The Lowe's brand is Kobalt, also very good quality. I agree with Houtman, it's worth investing in good quality.
 
Thread starter
Thank you for your replies! I agree about buying quality tools.

But I do not believe that the most expensive product equals the best one... If I believed that, I wouldn't be driving Hondas!

SnapOn tools are great but out of my range.

I'm thinking about heading over to Lowe's this weekend to look at their selection.
 
Houtman_imp said:
Buy GOOD tools and not cheap ones , there are many great quality wrenches and socket sets available . If you buy good ones they will last you a life time.
I still have all my tools I bought 60 years ago , mainly Germen made ones as I was living in Holland at that time.
Generally, I agree with the above...except now I'm 58 and I'm thinking more and more the cheapo tools will also last me "a lifetime"...or what's left of it.
 
pdedse_imp said:
Houtman_imp said:
Buy GOOD tools and not cheap ones , there are many great quality wrenches and socket sets available . If you buy good ones they will last you a life time.
I still have all my tools I bought 60 years ago , mainly Germen made ones as I was living in Holland at that time.
Generally, I agree with the above...except now I'm 58 and I'm thinking more and more the cheapo tools will also last me "a lifetime"...or what's left of it.
Generally, I agree with the above...except now I'm 58 and I'm thinking more and more the cheapo tools will also last me "a lifetime"...or what's left of it.
Do not bet against yourself !
 
Houtman_imp said:
pdedse_imp said:
Houtman_imp said:
Buy GOOD tools and not cheap ones , there are many great quality wrenches and socket sets available . If you buy good ones they will last you a life time.
I still have all my tools I bought 60 years ago , mainly Germen made ones as I was living in Holland at that time.
Generally, I agree with the above...except now I'm 58 and I'm thinking more and more the cheapo tools will also last me "a lifetime"...or what's left of it.
Generally, I agree with the above...except now I'm 58 and I'm thinking more and more the cheapo tools will also last me "a lifetime"...or what's left of it.
Do not bet against yourself !
Generally, I agree with the above...except now I'm 58 and I'm thinking more and more the cheapo tools will also last me "a lifetime"...or what's left of it.
Do not bet against yourself !
Haha...you are so right! Only snap-on, dewalt, mikita and craftsman for the next 20 years...then I'll go garage sale after that.
 
pdedse_imp said:
Houtman_imp said:
pdedse_imp said:
Houtman_imp said:
Buy GOOD tools and not cheap ones , there are many great quality wrenches and socket sets available . If you buy good ones they will last you a life time.
I still have all my tools I bought 60 years ago , mainly Germen made ones as I was living in Holland at that time.
Generally, I agree with the above...except now I'm 58 and I'm thinking more and more the cheapo tools will also last me "a lifetime"...or what's left of it.
Generally, I agree with the above...except now I'm 58 and I'm thinking more and more the cheapo tools will also last me "a lifetime"...or what's left of it.
Do not bet against yourself !
Generally, I agree with the above...except now I'm 58 and I'm thinking more and more the cheapo tools will also last me "a lifetime"...or what's left of it.
Do not bet against yourself !
Haha...you are so right! Only snap-on, dewalt, mikita and craftsman for the next 20 years...then I'll go garage sale after that.
[Alien] archeologists will be digging up the good quality tools 4000 years from now.



(well, maybe 40 years from now the way things are going)
 
You don’t need a Sears store to buy Craftsman tools — you can find them online, but they’re now made in Taiwan, not the US if that’s important to you.
 
Thread starter
satchit_imp said:
The video below gives you a rough idea about the various brands and their products...

Thanks for that! Confirmed my suspicion about the new Craftsman not being up to the task. I was surprised how poorly the Kohler performed as well.

It makes sense that the Taiwanese made tools were competitive with the American and German made tools, but at a much lower cost.
 
Yata-Garasu_imp said:
Thank you for your replies! I agree about buying quality tools.

But I do not believe that the most expensive product equals the best one... If I believed that, I wouldn't be driving Hondas!

SnapOn tools are great but out of my range.

I'm thinking about heading over to Lowe's this weekend to look at their selection.
Mine too but if you can imagine 85% of your usage being an 8mm, 10mm, 12mm and maybe a 15mm and 17mm (or some slight variance of that) only a few selected SNAP-ON spanners will do you for life. I have five or six forty year old SNAP-ON spanners with a socket on end and an open ended spanner the other end and it is just lovely to work with the weight and feel of the product. The rest of my tool kit is run of the mill stuff.
 
Yata-Garasu_imp said:
satchit_imp said:
The video below gives you a rough idea about the various brands and their products...

Thanks for that! Confirmed my suspicion about the new Craftsman not being up to the task. I was surprised how poorly the Kohler performed as well.

It makes sense that the Taiwanese made tools were competitive with the American and German made tools, but at a much lower cost.
Thanks for that! Confirmed my suspicion about the new Craftsman not being up to the task. I was surprised how poorly the Kohler performed as well.

It makes sense that the Taiwanese made tools were competitive with the American and German made tools, but at a much lower cost.
Did you mean the Kobalt wrench from Lowes ?
 
I've found the Gearwrench line of tools to be especially valuable. They are imports, but high quality and lifetime guaranteed. Got lots of use from this set of stubby metric ones.


Houtman_imp said:
Yata-Garasu_imp said:
satchit_imp said:
The video below gives you a rough idea about the various brands and their products...

Thanks for that! Confirmed my suspicion about the new Craftsman not being up to the task. I was surprised how poorly the Kohler performed as well.

It makes sense that the Taiwanese made tools were competitive with the American and German made tools, but at a much lower cost.
Thanks for that! Confirmed my suspicion about the new Craftsman not being up to the task. I was surprised how poorly the Kohler performed as well.

It makes sense that the Taiwanese made tools were competitive with the American and German made tools, but at a much lower cost.
Did you mean the Kobalt wrench from Lowes ?
Thanks for that! Confirmed my suspicion about the new Craftsman not being up to the task. I was surprised how poorly the Kohler performed as well.

It makes sense that the Taiwanese made tools were competitive with the American and German made tools, but at a much lower cost.
Did you mean the Kobalt wrench from Lowes ?
 
I sell GearWrench tools..among other brands. Keeping the label helps me get the part number quickly. Perhaps I'm a label sentimentalist.
 
Thread starter
m in sc_imp said:
gear wrench stuff is great, i have 4 sets. have had them for years and use them a LOT. I've also been pretty happy with the kobalt stuff.

harbor freight stuff for the most part is garbage to get you out of a pinch. i keep some in the cars as a last ditch effort, they work ok for roadside if need be.

My opinion:

8,10,12,13,14,17,19 and whatever the rear axle nut is. get 2 wrenches of each size. 6 point better, if a closed box end.

sockets, same sizes. 3/8 drive, std and deep well.

allen keys.

a set of JIS (NOT phillips!!! japanese bikes do not use phillips head screws.) drivers, at least a #1 and #2 (online best bet here)

good channel locks, pliers, needle nose, and side cutters (usually can be had in a set) electrical tape & zip-ties

should get you thru most anything.
Awesome information! Thank you very much! :cool:
 
Back
Top