tool kit

Paul C._imp

New to the forum
Thread starter
bummer! went under the seat yesterday to get an allen wrench from the "tool kit" and all I found was a two-sided screwdriver, a fuse puller, and one allen wrench for the side covers! Called the dealer and he said "no tool kits installed on Honda's since 2004". He didn't know why and i don't either. For the price of a new bike, a kit seems like a no brainer for roadside emergencies! What gives?
 
Thats what you get in the US. Was discussed/bitched about extensively last year when we got our '13s. You have to add your own tools or buy the rest if you want the Honda ones.

I think Canada got the whole kit.
 
This is something that has really changed over the years. Japanese bikes have never come with decent tool kits though they were far better in past years.

My 1973 BMW came with a very complete set of high quality tools that included side cutting pliers, spanners and screw drivers to handle all roadside repairs. A pair of tire irons, tube patch kit and a very well made hand operated pump were under the seat as well and an embroidered shop towel to wipe your hands when the job was done.

I have a cloth tool roll that I equip for each bike according to the tools needed for the particular model. Buy the Kobalt brand tools at Lowes to equip the kit and save a bundle over the pre-assembled kits that are sold by the after market. A good tire patch kit and a CO2 cartridges go in as well.
 
Paul C._imp said:
bummer! went under the seat yesterday to get an allen wrench from the "tool kit" and all I found was a two-sided screwdriver, a fuse puller, and one allen wrench for the side covers! Called the dealer and he said "no tool kits installed on Honda's since 2004". He didn't know why and i don't either. For the price of a new bike, a kit seems like a no brainer for roadside emergencies! What gives?
G'day, the Aussie '10 models came with a reasonable tool roll. Shock preload adjuster etc. Not much to add, maybe an Allen key (for OEM rear rack) and a couple of better quality spanners. Sure the dealers got it right?

Cheers
 
Pterodactyl_imp said:
Paul C._imp said:
bummer! went under the seat yesterday to get an allen wrench from the "tool kit" and all I found was a two-sided screwdriver, a fuse puller, and one allen wrench for the side covers! Called the dealer and he said "no tool kits installed on Honda's since 2004". He didn't know why and i don't either. For the price of a new bike, a kit seems like a no brainer for roadside emergencies! What gives?
G'day, the Aussie '10 models came with a reasonable tool roll. Shock preload adjuster etc. Not much to add, maybe an Allen key (for OEM rear rack) and a couple of better quality spanners. Sure the dealers got it right?

Cheers
Yeah, the Aussie 2011s too. Sorry guys. I understand the US models don;t have the HISS either. Is that right?
 
What is the HISS?
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
What is the HISS?
HISS or more accurately HISS 2 is Hondas ignition immobiliser. It stops anyone without an RFD key starting the bike. So they can get a key cut that's the same as yours, but it won't start, just undo the steering lock.
Gets me a healthy insurance discount too!
 
Tortuga_imp said:
Lord Popgun_imp said:
What is the HISS?
HISS or more accurately HISS 2 is Hondas ignition immobiliser. It stops anyone without an RFD key starting the bike. So they can get a key cut that's the same as yours, but it won't start, just undo the steering lock.
Gets me a healthy insurance discount too!
HISS or more accurately HISS 2 is Hondas ignition immobiliser. It stops anyone without an RFD key starting the bike. So they can get a key cut that's the same as yours, but it won't start, just undo the steering lock.
Gets me a healthy insurance discount too!
That's the idea, Tortuga, but I understand the US CB1100s don't have it. As far as I know, it's standard on Australian Hondas.
 
No we don't have the HISS system on US bikes.
 
It's really strange to me that motorcycle manufacturers would make such different models for different places. If you make the bike with a security system, why would you disable it for one country?
 
I wonder if our keys are different or are they the same with a chip in them? When I bought mine I had really hoped for the hiss system...

Sent from my XT1055 using Tapatalk
 
I had keys cut for my 2013 at a locksmith..standard keys. They worked fine. Will have one cut for my 14 when I get around to it.
 
Tortuga_imp said:
Lord Popgun_imp said:
What is the HISS?
HISS or more accurately HISS 2 is Hondas ignition immobiliser. It stops anyone without an RFD key starting the bike. So they can get a key cut that's the same as yours, but it won't start, just undo the steering lock.
Gets me a healthy insurance discount too!
HISS or more accurately HISS 2 is Hondas ignition immobiliser. It stops anyone without an RFD key starting the bike. So they can get a key cut that's the same as yours, but it won't start, just undo the steering lock.
Gets me a healthy insurance discount too!
Well I wish we had this. Even my last car, a 1998 model had that. And that insurance discount would be nice:D
Cormanus_imp said:
It's really strange to me that motorcycle manufacturers would make such different models for different places. If you make the bike with a security system, why would you disable it for one country?
I'm thinking it was maybe to hit a price point, I.E. keeping it under $10000 in the US.
 
Back to Paul's question about tools, here's what I put together for a tool kit which will allow me to adjust and lubricate the chain out on the road, adjust the rear shock, or access the battery if necessary. One must be realistic in what mechanical abilities they have and what duties they can perform on the side of the road. Fixing a fat, replacing a fuse, getting to the battery for a jump, or adjusting and lubing the rear chain is within my personal realm of abilities.



all fits neatly in the tool tray

[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theferret111/media/CBtools001_zps891aacbf.jpg.html]

On trips I also carry a small tire repair kit incl a small air compressor which will run off the battery either with alligator clips or thru the battery tender pigtail. For local riding I don't bother to carry it (although I probably should lol)

[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theferret111/media/2008_04100004-1.jpg.html]
 
I have basically the same tools but one of those CO2 tire repair kits. I've heard CO2 can freeze the stem but right now it's better thn nothing.
 
Seems we get a better deal here in Britain.

We get a full tool kit

We get a 2 year warranty with roadside assistance

We get silver wheels (or spoked now)

We get HISS 2 immobiliser as standard.

We've always had a choice of Red, White and Black.

:excited:

Just a bit of a pisser that we get lots of rain too :dodgy:
 
Tortuga_imp said:
Seems we get a better deal here in Britain.

We get a full tool kit

We get a 2 year warranty with roadside assistance

We get silver wheels (or spoked now)

We get HISS 2 immobiliser as standard.

We've always had a choice of Red, White and Black.

:excited:

Just a bit of a pisser that we get lots of rain too :dodgy:
We got the short end of the stick in the US.
 
Back
Top