Tool Kit

zippooriginal_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
As a new CB owner I was a bit shocked to see what Honda included as a tool kit. Can anyone recommend a tool kit that will fit in the compartment under the seat? Thanks.
 
This will come across as a snarky response, but that's not my intention. It depends on the type of servicing you expect to perform on the side of the road. I usually carry a set of tire plugs, a mini-compressor, and a cell phone. Not sure what else is needed. Electronic ignition, fuel injection... this should be a fairly reliable bike if properly maintained.
 
LongRanger_imp said:
This will come across as a snarky response, but that's not my intention. It depends on the type of servicing you expect to perform on the side of the road. I usually carry a set of tire plugs, a mini-compressor, and a cell phone. Not sure what else is needed. Electronic ignition, fuel injection... this should be a fairly reliable bike if properly maintained.

As a long time dirtbike rider, anything is possible. Drop the bike or low speed get off? Tools to adjust the bars, hand and foot controls, straighten the tree, etc can be the difference between riding home and walking.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
LongRanger_imp said:
This will come across as a snarky response, but that's not my intention. It depends on the type of servicing you expect to perform on the side of the road. I usually carry a set of tire plugs, a mini-compressor, and a cell phone. Not sure what else is needed. Electronic ignition, fuel injection... this should be a fairly reliable bike if properly maintained.
I agree. To add to that list for roadside tire repair, I have a pliers for removing the offending nail and I carry a small pocket knife for cutting off the excess plug. Also I carry a tire pressure gauge.

If you have a windshield, you may want the appropriate tools for adjustments.

If you ride a lot a night, a spare headlamp bulb may be a good idea along with a phillips screwdriver to do the job.

Also spare fuses are not a bad idea, especially if you blow one in the pigtail used to power the mini compressor.

Ferret has a very useful thread for tools you'll need to maintain the CB.

Other than the pin tool to adjust pre-load on the rear shocks, there's nothing terribly useful in the Honda tool kit. Would you use that 32 mm hex wrench to loosen the rear axle nut to adjust your chain? I have a 32 mm socket, breaker bar and torque wrench to do the job.
 
I actually use my tool kit to do just that. And if you go for a long ride out of state somewhere, having that for on the fly adjustments is a good thing. And what if you need to get the wheel off while on the road for one reason or another? Did you know that the factory spark plug tool doubles as the tool to remove the front axle?
Just my thoughts on it. The factory tools have served me well for my past bikes and I see no reason why they wouldn't work well for this one.
 
Thread starter
Thanks for the advice. I just feel better having some tools with me.
I'd rather have some tools and not need them as opposed to having no tools and need them.
 
I understand and I agree. I probably carry too many tools since I bought the honda top box. I did buy one of the Cruz tool kits that popgun mentioned (it fits nicely in the storage box under the seat) and I carry a full set of metric wrenches and hex keys. But the thing that I wanted to be prepared for is a nail/puncture in one of the tires so I also carry everything I need to plug and inflate a tire. I agreed with LongRanger that this is something that is likely to occur at some point and I wanted to be prepared for it.

Since the Honda tools are expensive, one option is to buy the unique tools that you think you would need (pin wrench for adjusting the rear shocks preload for example) and then supplement with other tools from different sources that are more reasonably priced.
 
Thread starter
curlyjoe_imp said:
I understand and I agree. I probably carry too many tools since I bought the honda top box. I did buy one of the Cruz tool kits that popgun mentioned (it fits nicely in the storage box under the seat) and I carry a full set of metric wrenches and hex keys. But the thing that I wanted to be prepared for is a nail/puncture in one of the tires so I also carry everything I need to plug and inflate a tire. I agreed with LongRanger that this is something that is likely to occur at some point and I wanted to be prepared for it.

Since the Honda tools are expensive, one option is to buy the unique tools that you think you would need (pin wrench for adjusting the rear shocks preload for example) and then supplement with other tools from different sources that are more reasonably priced.
Thank you. I do think I will compose my own unique tool kit. Most likely problem to encounter will be a flat tire. That I will prepare for.
 
If you google "Oxford tool kit" you will see a good one. My friend brought one of these on our last group ride and I was actually really impressed with the quality and utility of what they could fit into such a small pouch. There is a pro version too.
 
chain adjustment and tire repair, possibly spare cables and the tools to replace them. But it seems that when something breaks it will require one or major tool you don't have. So in the future you carry those tools - and will never need them again.

Since this is a road bike, (vs the dirt bike where more things can go wrong due to the nature of the ride and where you may be when it goes south), tire fix and chain adjustment tools will cover, WAG, 98% of your user doable repairs. A credit card and AAA will cover the rest.

I tend to carry a multi-tool and a couple T handle metric allen wrenches too; mainly because Moto Guzzi's use those for a ton of things. And gorilla tape to hold tupperware together if you have that. Last year I started experimenting with a HAM radio, but I think a satellite phone would have been better.
Speaking of SAT phones. A fellow I know gave us a little lecture on them since he tends to get in trouble out in the middle of Nevada where cell coverage is nil. He carries two different sat phones and the cell phone, the Spot as a last resort - it does not allow two way comms so you don't know if you were heard and the folks that did hear you don't know if you need a simple tow to get your bike out of the sink hole it fell in or a helicopter ride to the best ER facility. Or the morgue. Since they all have their failure modes and their strong suits he tends to carry all of them - because he has had to use them. He is on the back side of his 60's, rides like he is in his 20's, but knows he does not bounce like he used to. sigh...
 
Back
Top