Today's ride .. this is NOT Arizona lol

the Ferret

Road warrior
Thread starter
883cf846523aca66f3f1de73ae56c78f.jpg


well, it is a Honda

68feb580ec8b8f9d207cd67b5930f773.jpg


f7cf6b5e03d7fa186c3fdfed27ad47ed.jpg


I can get out of my driveway, but the local streets are impassable. Going to be housebound for a couple of days lol
 
Today, a good, strong 75 minutes with two hand shovels in a t-shirt and gloves provides an excellent workout. Though, I have to wear some ear protection from the frosty wind.

For the finger tips I do the same as I do on the CB: A "Hottie" pack on top of each hand in the glove provides hours of relief.
 
Thread starter
groan... my poor back wouldn't take 15 minutes with a shovel much less 75.
 
The ferret_imp said:
groan... my poor back wouldn't take 15 minutes with a shovel much less 75.
I hear ya Ferret. I used to have a tricked back until I stopped driving subcompact sedans. From that day (in 2011) onward, the back issue has never happened again. I feel very fortunate. It was awful.

I don't own a snow blower - but if I did, it would be a Honda.

Trying to stay away from the concept of blower as long as possible. The body feels strong and I consider this body maintenance during the winter season. My organs are so far still healthy - and I am grateful for that.
 
Thread starter
LOL on the news the other night they were talking about taking CPR classes because when old guys (like me) start shoveling snow in the winter they start having heart attacks in big numbers. I know when I used to run the snow blower up and down the hill, (pre ATV with plow), my heart would beat so hard it scared me.
 
The ferret_imp said:
883cf846523aca66f3f1de73ae56c78f.jpg


well, it is a Honda

68feb580ec8b8f9d207cd67b5930f773.jpg


f7cf6b5e03d7fa186c3fdfed27ad47ed.jpg


I can get out of my driveway, but the local streets are impassable. Going to be housebound for a couple of days lol
How do you like the Honda Ridgeline?
 
Thread starter
Love my Ridgeline. Nice "truck" although I wish it got better mileage (about 16-19 mpg). Very comfortable. Drives nice. Keep in mind we only drive it on average about 5000 miles a year lol. We bought it new in 2009, so it's 10 years old this May and has 54,000 miles on it, most of which my wife put on it driving it back and forth to work in the winter before she retired. We did take it on 2 trips out west, one to Montana (hauling the ST on a trailer) and one to Utah (no bike), which put about 10,000 of those miles on.

Other than the occasional errand, if roads are passable, I'm on a bike. The truck just sits there waiting for me. Sometimes I think about trading it in on a Civic or Accord because a truck is kind of overkill for my needs, but then my wife will want me to pick up some mulch, or haul a chair or something to my son or daughter's and it comes in handy.
 
Ferret, sorry to hear your rides have been put on hold due to snow.

That said, it's in the low-50's here today. I was able to negotiate the snow and ice gauntlet on my road and make it out of the neighbor to plowed roads. This is probably the first time I've gone for a ride while you haven't. Hope things clear up for you soon.
 
Thread starter
hey glad you are getting out LR. Jan and Feb are always iffy here. Been a pretty good January. Have ridden 17 of 20 so far.
 
Ha! You call that a snow fall? :poke: When I was back in Minnesota last February I drove through twice that in the F-150, two wheel drive.

But I also had on Ice & Snow tires with the Blizzak rating. Worked real well. Especially when I left and I-35 had a thick layer of ice on it. Helps to have the right equipment and some skills.

No joke on the heart attacks. Apparently the shoulder movements with the weight really raises the blood pressure and folks with a stressed circulatory system - not just seniors - and people should be careful.
 
What the heck are you gonna do for the next few days ferret..? I’m picturing you sitting on the bike up on the center stand in the garage, running through the gears while visualizing a dry open road in front of you lol.
 
Thread starter
Well I missed Sun, Mon and Tues, but got it got up to 40 yesterday and 46 today and all the ice melted, so I got out for a 42 mile ride. Granted it was raining the whole time, but it felt good to ride again lol.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Well I missed Sun, Mon and Tues, but got it got up to 40 yesterday and 46 today and all the ice melted, so I got out for a 42 mile ride. Granted it was raining the whole time, but it felt good to ride again lol.
Sounds like the day (or two) after you retire from riding you are going to get the sweats and shakes. Better keep something nearby with two wheels and a gasoline motor between them.
 
Back
Top