To Windshield or not to Windshield

TCBronson_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
I was wondering what the trend was for CB1100 owners. How many have a windshield or fairing of any kind VS. nothing at all. There are times I wish I had a small windshield to take some of the wind blast off.
 
National Cycles Deflector Screen. It's their smallest one and works great. At times I wish it were a bit bigger, but generally speaking I'm happy with it. I was not happy the first few hundred miles that I had the bike without it... ouch, back pain. Much better now.
 
I like the Puig Plus for summer highway riding, naked otherwise. The Puig comes on and off very easily, as long as you don't change the headlight position.
 
I've had all manor of screens and fairings and whilst the work well at certain speeds, they can cause as much trouble as they solve. The choppy air they create can end up being just too much. I took the screen off my bike and was so relived to have a smooth, constant flow of air. I just ride a bit slower on the motorway than my faired bike, and it's a much nicer experience.
I miss a full fairing in the rain tho. I have a trip to France coming up and would love to take the CB but I know if it pours down I'll be missing the full fairing on the Versys.
On another point, a naked bike is so much more manageable with any sort of crosswind.
I've been looking at the old Cb900 and 1100 Bol d'Or fairings of late and wondering how well they work.
 
Originally had a Puig Plus. Now I have a Road Comet for warm weather and a National Cycle Street Shield EX for cool weather. Both are quick and easy to swap on or off.
 
I voted yes because I jhave a modified screen on most of the time, but sometimes I remove it because I love the look of it without

here is a thread from our How To sectioin that may be of some help when choosing a shield

How To choose a windshield for the CB...or not
 
I have the Plexistar 2 Windshield Fairing on it currently, as soon as it warms back up it will come off but while it's cold I prefer the comfort over the looks....
 
I use a piug windscreen in colder months. Simple to put on and doesn't look too bad. Will take off some of the wind blast to the chest. The road Comet looks nice but expensive plus I've never used one so can't speak for the protection. I really can't stand to see some people put on these huge gaudy ridiculous looking windshields. It's a naked bike and windshields just don't go with this bike. I recommend buying another bike with either a full windshield or fairing if you need that type of protection on a regular basis. It's just my opinion. The dart flyscreen looks nice too and is minimal. A full face helmet in colder months is your best friend.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
 
Not yet, I never had a windshield on any of my bikes. Like the naked look. That said, with my new CB1100, I plan going on long rides/trips again which I have not done for years. (After 50 miles on my old CB77 SH, I'm done!) I will see how my old body reacts and will look at this possibility of a windshield then.
 
Remember taller does not mean better. If you get a windscreen you need to find one that gives you some protection without looking through it and one that does not create a ton of turbulance.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
 
I like that Givi Aschem.

Uscgmac, why is looking though a windscreen bad? Not trying to start a fight, just looking for info.
 
Thread starter
Thank you all for your responses! I agree the bike looks better without a windshield. If I get one I want a small one that I can easily remove.
 
I'm with mr.weirdy, a bolt on windshield creates more issues than it solves. In the rain they help keep your upper body dry, then you realize the rest of you is wet. They all seem to create helmet buffeting IMO. They generally make a standard bike look worse. Bought my CB for the stripped down classic look. Rather spend the money on tires or shocks. I've tried quite a few on many different bikes and different brands of winshields and styles from Puig to flyscreens, plus one that was height and rake adjustable. Waste of money. Won't be putting any on my 1100, but I don't have to ride much in the rain. For the cold a good one piece riding suit, heated grips, and a fleece neck and nylon wind locker work until you ride too long
 
The W carries the Givi shield, the CB a MRA shield.
Why? I like riding with a shield. It's a quite difference to ride with or
without one. It helps me to make a trip, no matter how long it lasts, much more comfortable. No matter at what speed I' m cruising. Despite this fact
a motorbike, even a classic one, doesn't look complete without one. And it should have some saddle bags too. On motorbike travels also a tank bag and a sozius roll. That' s the way I like it. A motorbike should always be practical for daily use and touring.

Wisedrum
 
Back
Top