To screen or not to screen

Capo

Road warrior
Thread starter
So, yesterday was 'wake up the fleet' day...60 degrees, sunny with moderate winds. Lots of chain tightening and lubing, tires filled, gas and oil topped off, this and that. I rode three bikes back to back to back over the same basic loop. The CB1100, Kaw ZRX1200R, and Triumph Daytona 650 (for sale soon, btw, if anyone is interested.

Cutting to the chase, the CB with the Dart flyscreen was by far the noisiest with the most helmet buffeting. The modest nose fairing on the ZRX provided silent, smooth air...a far more comfortable riding experience, at least for my noggin, which took me by surprise. The Daytona, fully faired and committed riding position, was smooth as well. But the diff between the ZRX and CB was marked and led me to the conclusion that the Dart is a detriment.

I'm going to ride it again without the Dart to see what a difference it makes. But now I'm thinking a nose fairing would be the answer for the CB. Or just go naked.
feaa7cf5393a4f30701bfce6e5043d1c.jpg
 
Everyone perceives buffeting differently, a lot to do with height, arm length, etc. The Puig + seems, to me anyway, to offer a good compromise between buffeting and getting the wind pressure off the chest. Takes less than a minute to remove also and leaves no brackets.

A "bikini" style fairing might be better.

Love that Kawasaki. One of my favorites.
 
Capo,

Read through this thread.

http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=1256

The EX is a nice 4 point shield with good side protection. Easy on off. It does need to be cut down to about the height of the ZRX. Last year after having it on for a few weeks i took it off for a ride. After about 20mi I turned around to put it back on, much better wind protection and no loss of handling when cut down.
 
Thread starter
CIp, thanks for that, good solution. I'm going to try it all out in the weeks ahead and report back. I don't expect a bubble of solitude, just reduced head butting. I wear a Schuberth and earplugs, so I'm good on the minimization in that regard.
 
Capo, a timely and interesting post, since I've finally decided the Dart has to go after the ride home tonight. Just too much turbulence and it's really annoying me. Even with earplugs in it's too noisy for my tastes. Hate to say it as I really like the look. I'll be back to fully naked, maybe a Comet screen...

If you have a dart screen and it works for you then all good. I might just be at the wrong height for it (5'8'').
 
My 2 cents - I'm 6'1". I had the Dart on a Bonneville. No wind noise. Looked good. I had the Puig Plus on the CB. Above 50 mph I experience wind noise (like a flag whipping in the breeze) especially with a cheap HJC helmet, not so bad with a better helmet. However the Puig did provide a decent degree of wind protection and looked really good on the CB. Then I went off the "Red is good, more red is better" deep end and upgraded to a Chic Design Road Comet with standard screen. No wind noise but limited wind protection.
 
i have a national dx windscreen. it has taken alot of wind of my body but i still am bothered with the amount of wind at helmet level. im considering either a bigger wind deflector or a different helmet. i now ride with one of those half helmets and ear buds that seal into ear.
or possibly the addition of some nose fairing.
interested to see what others have to say
 
Thread starter
Aussie_imp said:
Capo, a timely and interesting post, since I've finally decided the Dart has to go after the ride home tonight. Just too much turbulence and it's really annoying me. Even with earplugs in it's too noisy for my tastes. Hate to say it as I really like the look. I'll be back to fully naked, maybe a Comet screen...

If you have a dart screen and it works for you then all good. I might just be at the wrong height for it (5'8'').
Aussie, I'm 5'8" as well. Likely a factor. Also why I didn't make the High School Basketball team.
 
I really really prefer a naked bike.... But on long trips with lots of freeway work, a shield of some kind, although nosier than a naked, gives some relief to the body. I can do 65 all day on a naked, when it goes up to 70 for more than a short period I find myself wanting a wind break.
 
I agree with Ferret, 65 is good, 70 for a long period is a little rough. I have the National Ex that I cut down a bit. I took it off this weekend, but I never got to ride due to honey-do projects. It helps keep the cold off your chest. I will probably put it back on in the fall. I only have a 10 mile stretch of 70mph on my commute to work so its not to bad when the weather cooperates.
 
I'm doing the comet screen combines with type II low handle bar and mid k&h saddle. Thinking it will improve my comfort while giving me a more sport touring seat position. In this scenario I think the comet will get the job done and stay minimal.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Capo_imp said:
Aussie_imp said:
Capo, a timely and interesting post, since I've finally decided the Dart has to go after the ride home tonight. Just too much turbulence and it's really annoying me. Even with earplugs in it's too noisy for my tastes. Hate to say it as I really like the look. I'll be back to fully naked, maybe a Comet screen...

If you have a dart screen and it works for you then all good. I might just be at the wrong height for it (5'8'').
Aussie, I'm 5'8" as well. Likely a factor. Also why I didn't make the High School Basketball team.
Aussie, I'm 5'8" as well. Likely a factor. Also why I didn't make the High School Basketball team.
Ha, ha yeah wasn't my sport of choice either. Lucky basketball isn't really that big in Australia....and rugby caters for all body types!
Romo1969_imp said:
I'm doing the comet screen combines with type II low handle bar and mid k&h saddle. Thinking it will improve my comfort while giving me a more sport touring seat position. In this scenario I think the comet will get the job done and stay minimal.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I'd be interested to see how you go with that set up because I think it would work well.
 
Timely post for me. I've been pretty close to ordering a Dart screen over the past couple of days. Might hold off a bit..
 
Romo1969_imp said:
I'm doing the comet screen combines with type II low handle bar and mid k&h saddle. Thinking it will improve my comfort while giving me a more sport touring seat position. In this scenario I think the comet will get the job done and stay minimal.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I would like to hear how this fairing works at Interstate speeds. I love the Dart for 90% of my riding, but for multi-hour rides at 80+ I need to take the air pressure off my helmet as well as my torso.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
Timely post for me. I've been pretty close to ordering a Dart screen over the past couple of days. Might hold off a bit..
G'day Cormanus,

My new Dart arrived on Monday morning so reading this thread has taken the edge off the excitement. :( The frustrating bit is that I can't fit or test ride at the moment. I gather from comments garnered on this and previous threads that the Dart is reasonably, but not fully, effective up to speeds in the 100 - 110kph (62 - 68mph) range, or maybe a little higher. That is fine for me as when I give it some stick wind- blast doesn't worry me. Adds to the experience if anything.

Noise, as Aussie refers to is, however, another thing entirely. I hate it. I have high frequency loss (sound of gunfire and all that cuss) that seems to make me more sensitive, some may say irritated by, unnecessary noise. Apart from short city journeys I ride with very effective, although somewhat expensive, Bose in ear noise cancelling earphones. With or without audio they are the duck's guts. So maybe they will take care of any screen induced noise.

To me, the Dart screen looks unobtrusive and that, coupled with some average highway wind protection, is the main attraction of the Dart as opposed to larger cruiser type screens. In any case I have never had a screen on any naked I have previously ridden, mainly Duc Monster. Any other bikes have had faired screens ('Blade etc). If, when the time comes, the Dart doesn't live up to my expectations then it's back to naked. And that ain't too bad.

Unfortunately I am not in a position to either fit or test ride the new screen for some time so will not be able to report for a while. VicsCB1100 has a Dart. Any comments Vic?

Cheers.
 
Pterodactyl_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
Timely post for me. I've been pretty close to ordering a Dart screen over the past couple of days. Might hold off a bit..
G'day Cormanus,

My new Dart arrived on Monday morning so reading this thread has taken the edge off the excitement. :( The frustrating bit is that I can't fit or test ride at the moment. I gather from comments garnered on this and previous threads that the Dart is reasonably, but not fully, effective up to speeds in the 100 - 110kph (62 - 68mph) range, or maybe a little higher. That is fine for me as when I give it some stick wind- blast doesn't worry me. Adds to the experience if anything.

Noise, as Aussie refers to is, however, another thing entirely. I hate it. I have high frequency loss (sound of gunfire and all that cuss) that seems to make me more sensitive, some may say irritated by, unnecessary noise. Apart from short city journeys I ride with very effective, although somewhat expensive, Bose in ear noise cancelling earphones. With or without audio they are the duck's guts. So maybe they will take care of any screen induced noise.

To me, the Dart screen looks unobtrusive and that, coupled with some average highway wind protection, is the main attraction of the Dart as opposed to larger cruiser type screens. In any case I have never had a screen on any naked I have previously ridden, mainly Duc Monster. Any other bikes have had faired screens ('Blade etc). If, when the time comes, the Dart doesn't live up to my expectations then it's back to naked. And that ain't too bad.

Unfortunately I am not in a position to either fit or test ride the new screen for some time so will not be able to report for a while. VicsCB1100 has a Dart. Any comments Vic?

Cheers.
G'day Cormanus,

My new Dart arrived on Monday morning so reading this thread has taken the edge off the excitement. :( The frustrating bit is that I can't fit or test ride at the moment. I gather from comments garnered on this and previous threads that the Dart is reasonably, but not fully, effective up to speeds in the 100 - 110kph (62 - 68mph) range, or maybe a little higher. That is fine for me as when I give it some stick wind- blast doesn't worry me. Adds to the experience if anything.

Noise, as Aussie refers to is, however, another thing entirely. I hate it. I have high frequency loss (sound of gunfire and all that cuss) that seems to make me more sensitive, some may say irritated by, unnecessary noise. Apart from short city journeys I ride with very effective, although somewhat expensive, Bose in ear noise cancelling earphones. With or without audio they are the duck's guts. So maybe they will take care of any screen induced noise.

To me, the Dart screen looks unobtrusive and that, coupled with some average highway wind protection, is the main attraction of the Dart as opposed to larger cruiser type screens. In any case I have never had a screen on any naked I have previously ridden, mainly Duc Monster. Any other bikes have had faired screens ('Blade etc). If, when the time comes, the Dart doesn't live up to my expectations then it's back to naked. And that ain't too bad.

Unfortunately I am not in a position to either fit or test ride the new screen for some time so will not be able to report for a while. VicsCB1100 has a Dart. Any comments Vic?

Cheers.
Thanks Pterodactyl

I hurtled home up the Bruce today at 120 kph most of the way and didn't find it too uncomfortable, but it is a bit of a moving feast. Noise has got to me too recently and I ride with a pair of earplugs that make a considerable difference. I certainly wouldn't want any more of it!

I might wait until you've recovered and installed the screen for a further report, although I must say I was a bit surprised that a couple of people suddenly stopped loving them.

Thanks again.
 
Thread starter
Regarding the Dart, I'll have an on / off report after this weekend. I also have one on a Bonneville, and I'll do the same. But, in reality, the Dart is as much a styling implement as it is a windscreen. Look at the little thing! It's not what you'd do for real wind protection. But it looks cool, doesn't detract, in fact ,IMHO adds to the look of the bike, and does a little bit to bump up the airflow. Where it bumps it up to is the issue, and that has a lot to do with the rider's height and bar positioning.
 
Look forward to the report, Capo.
 
Pterodactyl_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
Timely post for me. I've been pretty close to ordering a Dart screen over the past couple of days. Might hold off a bit..
G'day Cormanus,

My new Dart arrived on Monday morning so reading this thread has taken the edge off the excitement. :( The frustrating bit is that I can't fit or test ride at the moment. I gather from comments garnered on this and previous threads that the Dart is reasonably, but not fully, effective up to speeds in the 100 - 110kph (62 - 68mph) range, or maybe a little higher. That is fine for me as when I give it some stick wind- blast doesn't worry me. Adds to the experience if anything.

Noise, as Aussie refers to is, however, another thing entirely. I hate it. I have high frequency loss (sound of gunfire and all that cuss) that seems to make me more sensitive, some may say irritated by, unnecessary noise. Apart from short city journeys I ride with very effective, although somewhat expensive, Bose in ear noise cancelling earphones. With or without audio they are the duck's guts. So maybe they will take care of any screen induced noise.

To me, the Dart screen looks unobtrusive and that, coupled with some average highway wind protection, is the main attraction of the Dart as opposed to larger cruiser type screens. In any case I have never had a screen on any naked I have previously ridden, mainly Duc Monster. Any other bikes have had faired screens ('Blade etc). If, when the time comes, the Dart doesn't live up to my expectations then it's back to naked. And that ain't too bad.

Unfortunately I am not in a position to either fit or test ride the new screen for some time so will not be able to report for a while. VicsCB1100 has a Dart. Any comments Vic?

Cheers.
G'day Cormanus,

My new Dart arrived on Monday morning so reading this thread has taken the edge off the excitement. :( The frustrating bit is that I can't fit or test ride at the moment. I gather from comments garnered on this and previous threads that the Dart is reasonably, but not fully, effective up to speeds in the 100 - 110kph (62 - 68mph) range, or maybe a little higher. That is fine for me as when I give it some stick wind- blast doesn't worry me. Adds to the experience if anything.

Noise, as Aussie refers to is, however, another thing entirely. I hate it. I have high frequency loss (sound of gunfire and all that cuss) that seems to make me more sensitive, some may say irritated by, unnecessary noise. Apart from short city journeys I ride with very effective, although somewhat expensive, Bose in ear noise cancelling earphones. With or without audio they are the duck's guts. So maybe they will take care of any screen induced noise.

To me, the Dart screen looks unobtrusive and that, coupled with some average highway wind protection, is the main attraction of the Dart as opposed to larger cruiser type screens. In any case I have never had a screen on any naked I have previously ridden, mainly Duc Monster. Any other bikes have had faired screens ('Blade etc). If, when the time comes, the Dart doesn't live up to my expectations then it's back to naked. And that ain't too bad.

Unfortunately I am not in a position to either fit or test ride the new screen for some time so will not be able to report for a while. VicsCB1100 has a Dart. Any comments Vic?

Cheers.
The Dart is really more cosmetic than effective as a screen. It does take some of blast off the chest at speed. However everywhere else is out there.

As our speed limit is only 110kmh naked bikes are not too hard to live with so I will keep it. Up to 120 kmh it is OK . Helmet noise is as per the bike naked.

I also have a Give screen that is slightly larger that came with the bike. Took it off because I couldnt change the set up and it created turbulence around the helmet. I might work on it over winter.
 
VicsCB1100_imp said:
Pterodactyl_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
Timely post for me. I've been pretty close to ordering a Dart screen over the past couple of days. Might hold off a bit..
G'day Cormanus,

My new Dart arrived on Monday morning so reading this thread has taken the edge off the excitement. :( The frustrating bit is that I can't fit or test ride at the moment. I gather from comments garnered on this and previous threads that the Dart is reasonably, but not fully, effective up to speeds in the 100 - 110kph (62 - 68mph) range, or maybe a little higher. That is fine for me as when I give it some stick wind- blast doesn't worry me. Adds to the experience if anything.

Noise, as Aussie refers to is, however, another thing entirely. I hate it. I have high frequency loss (sound of gunfire and all that cuss) that seems to make me more sensitive, some may say irritated by, unnecessary noise. Apart from short city journeys I ride with very effective, although somewhat expensive, Bose in ear noise cancelling earphones. With or without audio they are the duck's guts. So maybe they will take care of any screen induced noise.

To me, the Dart screen looks unobtrusive and that, coupled with some average highway wind protection, is the main attraction of the Dart as opposed to larger cruiser type screens. In any case I have never had a screen on any naked I have previously ridden, mainly Duc Monster. Any other bikes have had faired screens ('Blade etc). If, when the time comes, the Dart doesn't live up to my expectations then it's back to naked. And that ain't too bad.

Unfortunately I am not in a position to either fit or test ride the new screen for some time so will not be able to report for a while. VicsCB1100 has a Dart. Any comments Vic?

Cheers.
G'day Cormanus,

My new Dart arrived on Monday morning so reading this thread has taken the edge off the excitement. :( The frustrating bit is that I can't fit or test ride at the moment. I gather from comments garnered on this and previous threads that the Dart is reasonably, but not fully, effective up to speeds in the 100 - 110kph (62 - 68mph) range, or maybe a little higher. That is fine for me as when I give it some stick wind- blast doesn't worry me. Adds to the experience if anything.

Noise, as Aussie refers to is, however, another thing entirely. I hate it. I have high frequency loss (sound of gunfire and all that cuss) that seems to make me more sensitive, some may say irritated by, unnecessary noise. Apart from short city journeys I ride with very effective, although somewhat expensive, Bose in ear noise cancelling earphones. With or without audio they are the duck's guts. So maybe they will take care of any screen induced noise.

To me, the Dart screen looks unobtrusive and that, coupled with some average highway wind protection, is the main attraction of the Dart as opposed to larger cruiser type screens. In any case I have never had a screen on any naked I have previously ridden, mainly Duc Monster. Any other bikes have had faired screens ('Blade etc). If, when the time comes, the Dart doesn't live up to my expectations then it's back to naked. And that ain't too bad.

Unfortunately I am not in a position to either fit or test ride the new screen for some time so will not be able to report for a while. VicsCB1100 has a Dart. Any comments Vic?

Cheers.
The Dart is really more cosmetic than effective as a screen. It does take some of blast off the chest at speed. However everywhere else is out there.

As our speed limit is only 110kmh naked bikes are not too hard to live with so I will keep it. Up to 120 kmh it is OK . Helmet noise is as per the bike naked.

I also have a Give screen that is slightly larger that came with the bike. Took it off because I couldnt change the set up and it created turbulence around the helmet. I might work on it over winter.
Thanks VicsCB1100. I guess the difficulty with screens is that, if you want to get the blast off your head, you have to go for something reasonably large. I seem to be coping all right without one, and I might stick with that until I read some more reports here.

Cheers
 
Back
Top