To ride, or not to ride (to a job interview)?

JMA_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
I live in North Jersey and I have a job interview next week up near Poughkeepsie, NY. There is some great riding up there, and it is supposed to be a nice fall day. I was thinking of taking the whole day off of my current job, and after the interview in the morning, spending the afternoon riding. Then I got to wondering whether it is a good or a bad, or a neutral, idea to ride to a job interview?

I'm thinking this group may be a little biased, but I welcome your thoughts.
 
Depends. What is the job for? Do you have any idea who will be interviewing you?

Also, what gear do you ride in? I couldn't do an interview unless I brought an entire outfit to change into- I ride in leather jacket, leather pants, gloves, boots, helmet...
 
If you get the job you'll be able to ride there regularly. I'd focus on the interview.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Don't ride to the interview. Dress for success and concentrate in the task at: TO GET THE JOB!

Take the whole day off anyway, after the interview go back to the house, change and then go ride.
 
Agree with Nemo. I had this paradox before and always driven to the interview. Dealing with changing and all that gear is just awkward and annoying.
 
If it were me, I'd focus on the interview. You want to make a good first impression. Then, head home and suit up for your favorite roads.
Russ
 
If you don't ride and then you're gonna be thinking the whole time that you should be riding...then ride! On the other hand, I'm paranoid about first impressions for interviews and if they see you ride up on your bike, maybe helmet in hand, or if you make a comment about riding the mc, they see you depart on the bike...well, there just might be somebody on that committee who hates motorcycles because their neighbor has a loud bike who just loves to wake up the neighborhood with his aftermarket pipes.
 
Interesting question. What happens if you don't ride and get the job then you start riding to work and they have a problem (post hiring) ? Would you mention in your interview that you ride? Would they be providing health coverage as part of the job?
 
Capo_imp said:
If you get the job you'll be able to ride there regularly. I'd focus on the interview.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wise words.

Don't try to fit a motorcycle ride into every one of life's little events (or big events in this case). It's distracting and counterproductive, especially after you reach 30 years of age. And most people perceive motorcyclists as being outside the usual group of good choices for employees, anti-social and obsessive.

Leave the bike at home, dress for success, get there early in comfort. When you get the job, show 'em what a great guy you are, and one day, ride your CB1100 to work. They will think you are really cool at that point.

This opens the discussion to one more comment, which Capo underscores; the narrative at the local watering hole (or at least the very strong subtext) is "Look at me, I am able to work motorcycling into every aspect of my life. Not everyone can do that."

I sure tried it and made it work to some extent but found out it really doesn't.

Like anything else in life, the smart play is to focus on work, family, health, hobbies, passions individually and effectively. The old saying, "Don't mix busines with pleasure" very much holds true here.
hb9400_imp said:
Interesting question. What happens if you don't ride and get the job then you start riding to work and they have a problem (post hiring) ? Would you mention in your interview that you ride? Would they be providing health coverage as part of the job?
Good point...get the job and assess the situation afterward.

Motorcycles symbolize freedom, free thinking, a risk-taker, and an independent mind to a great extent and most employers are NOT looking for that kind of person.

Fact is, I found this out the hard way, and after I had already been promoted and had a string of excellent performance evaluations. The Human Resources director hated motorcycles and when I started riding to work regularly (and probably coming across as a bit proud of it) she made the comment at one meeting regarding car-pooling that "the DOT wishes that motorcycles would disappear off the face of the earth." It was clear she shared that notion.

Later on I had some very serious problems with her. I got them sorted with the help of an excellent attorney, thankfully.

Keep the hobbies and special interests to yourself; mainstream is what you want to be in a job interview.

And good luck!:thumbsup:
 
As an employer, part of my impression of you would be appearance-related. I would not care that you ride motorcycles, but I would care if you looked unkept and/or unprofessional at the interview. I suggest saving the riding for another day.

Semi-related: There have been 2 or 3 occasions where I had appointments with clients at their locations on days when I wanted to ride my motorcycle. In each case, I contacted the client beforehand and simply explained the situation and asked them if they objected to me being dressed casually for the meeting. I never had anyone object. However, I also knew those clients pretty well. When I'm in doubt about how the client may perceive this, I err on the side of looking more professional--so no bike and (at least) workday casual.
 
I lived in San Diego and rode 1200 miles to an interview in Denver, though I rented a car when I got there. I shipped my suit via UPS so it was waiting for me. I got the job.
 
Ulvetanna_imp said:
Capo_imp said:
If you get the job you'll be able to ride there regularly. I'd focus on the interview.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wise words.

Don't try to fit a motorcycle ride into every one of life's little events (or big events in this case). It's distracting and counterproductive, especially after you reach 30 years of age. And most people perceive motorcyclists as being outside the usual group of good choices for employees, anti-social and obsessive.

Leave the bike at home, dress for success, get there early in comfort. When you get the job, show 'em what a great guy you are, and one day, ride your CB1100 to work. They will think you are really cool at that point.

This opens the discussion to one more comment, which Capo underscores; the narrative at the local watering hole (or at least the very strong subtext) is "Look at me, I am able to work motorcycling into every aspect of my life. Not everyone can do that."

I sure tried it and made it work to some extent but found out it really doesn't.

Like anything else in life, the smart play is to focus on work, family, health, hobbies, passions individually and effectively. The old saying, "Don't mix busines with pleasure" very much holds true here.
hb9400_imp said:
Interesting question. What happens if you don't ride and get the job then you start riding to work and they have a problem (post hiring) ? Would you mention in your interview that you ride? Would they be providing health coverage as part of the job?
Good point...get the job and assess the situation afterward.

Motorcycles symbolize freedom, free thinking, a risk-taker, and an independent mind to a great extent and most employers are NOT looking for that kind of person.

Fact is, I found this out the hard way, and after I had already been promoted and had a string of excellent performance evaluations. The Human Resources director hated motorcycles and when I started riding to work regularly (and probably coming across as a bit proud of it) she made the comment at one meeting regarding car-pooling that "the DOT wishes that motorcycles would disappear off the face of the earth." It was clear she shared that notion.

Later on I had some very serious problems with her. I got them sorted with the help of an excellent attorney, thankfully.

Keep the hobbies and special interests to yourself; mainstream is what you want to be in a job interview.

And good luck!:thumbsup:
I simply don't understand. For me (and millions around the world) a motorcycle is primarily a transportation device. As such, it fits perfectly well into all of my life's events that require me to be at some particular point at some particular time. Surely the logistics of appearing at the interview location dressed for the occasion can be solved with a backpack with some sharp-looking rags? Why would the prospective employer care (or even know) how you got there, as long as you're on time? Simply none of his business, just like your religion (or lack of it)!
 
rotor_imp said:
Ulvetanna_imp said:
Capo_imp said:
If you get the job you'll be able to ride there regularly. I'd focus on the interview.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wise words.

Don't try to fit a motorcycle ride into every one of life's little events (or big events in this case). It's distracting and counterproductive, especially after you reach 30 years of age. And most people perceive motorcyclists as being outside the usual group of good choices for employees, anti-social and obsessive.

Leave the bike at home, dress for success, get there early in comfort. When you get the job, show 'em what a great guy you are, and one day, ride your CB1100 to work. They will think you are really cool at that point.

This opens the discussion to one more comment, which Capo underscores; the narrative at the local watering hole (or at least the very strong subtext) is "Look at me, I am able to work motorcycling into every aspect of my life. Not everyone can do that."

I sure tried it and made it work to some extent but found out it really doesn't.

Like anything else in life, the smart play is to focus on work, family, health, hobbies, passions individually and effectively. The old saying, "Don't mix busines with pleasure" very much holds true here.
hb9400_imp said:
Interesting question. What happens if you don't ride and get the job then you start riding to work and they have a problem (post hiring) ? Would you mention in your interview that you ride? Would they be providing health coverage as part of the job?
Good point...get the job and assess the situation afterward.

Motorcycles symbolize freedom, free thinking, a risk-taker, and an independent mind to a great extent and most employers are NOT looking for that kind of person.

Fact is, I found this out the hard way, and after I had already been promoted and had a string of excellent performance evaluations. The Human Resources director hated motorcycles and when I started riding to work regularly (and probably coming across as a bit proud of it) she made the comment at one meeting regarding car-pooling that "the DOT wishes that motorcycles would disappear off the face of the earth." It was clear she shared that notion.

Later on I had some very serious problems with her. I got them sorted with the help of an excellent attorney, thankfully.

Keep the hobbies and special interests to yourself; mainstream is what you want to be in a job interview.

And good luck!:thumbsup:
I simply don't understand. For me (and millions around the world) a motorcycle is primarily a transportation device. As such, it fits perfectly well into all of my life's events that require me to be at some particular point at some particular time. Surely the logistics of appearing at the interview location dressed for the occasion can be solved with a backpack with some sharp-looking rags? Why would the prospective employer care (or even know) how you got there, as long as you're on time? Simply none of his business, just like your religion (or lack of it)!
I simply don't understand. For me (and millions around the world) a motorcycle is primarily a transportation device. As such, it fits perfectly well into all of my life's events that require me to be at some particular point at some particular time. Surely the logistics of appearing at the interview location dressed for the occasion can be solved with a backpack with some sharp-looking rags? Why would the prospective employer care (or even know) how you got there, as long as you're on time? Simply none of his business, just like your religion (or lack of it)!
You sort of presuppose that this would be easy to carry a change of cloths and that there would be a convenient place in which to transform from biker to accountant (or whatever). IF your supposition is true, then our interviewee should, by all means, ride to the interview. However, speaking as someone whose desire to ride to work is sometimes thwarted by the need to be dressed professionally during that day, I can tell you that the logistics of the transformation can be a little dicey.

I don't think most employers would care if he rides or even if he rode there, as long as he walked in the door looking professional. I don't think a guy walking in to my office, asking for a place to change into his button-down and khakis meets that standard, though.
 
I worked in a very conservative industry - CPA where "professionalism" was stressed in every way. Appearance matters.
I left public accounting for private industry where ability to to the job counted more.

Would I ride to a job interview? Depends a lot on the type of job. In all likelihood - no.
 
rotor_imp said:
Ulvetanna_imp said:
Capo_imp said:
If you get the job you'll be able to ride there regularly. I'd focus on the interview.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wise words.

Don't try to fit a motorcycle ride into every one of life's little events (or big events in this case). It's distracting and counterproductive, especially after you reach 30 years of age. And most people perceive motorcyclists as being outside the usual group of good choices for employees, anti-social and obsessive.

Leave the bike at home, dress for success, get there early in comfort. When you get the job, show 'em what a great guy you are, and one day, ride your CB1100 to work. They will think you are really cool at that point.

This opens the discussion to one more comment, which Capo underscores; the narrative at the local watering hole (or at least the very strong subtext) is "Look at me, I am able to work motorcycling into every aspect of my life. Not everyone can do that."

I sure tried it and made it work to some extent but found out it really doesn't.

Like anything else in life, the smart play is to focus on work, family, health, hobbies, passions individually and effectively. The old saying, "Don't mix busines with pleasure" very much holds true here.
hb9400_imp said:
Interesting question. What happens if you don't ride and get the job then you start riding to work and they have a problem (post hiring) ? Would you mention in your interview that you ride? Would they be providing health coverage as part of the job?
Good point...get the job and assess the situation afterward.

Motorcycles symbolize freedom, free thinking, a risk-taker, and an independent mind to a great extent and most employers are NOT looking for that kind of person.

Fact is, I found this out the hard way, and after I had already been promoted and had a string of excellent performance evaluations. The Human Resources director hated motorcycles and when I started riding to work regularly (and probably coming across as a bit proud of it) she made the comment at one meeting regarding car-pooling that "the DOT wishes that motorcycles would disappear off the face of the earth." It was clear she shared that notion.

Later on I had some very serious problems with her. I got them sorted with the help of an excellent attorney, thankfully.

Keep the hobbies and special interests to yourself; mainstream is what you want to be in a job interview.

And good luck!:thumbsup:
I simply don't understand. For me (and millions around the world) a motorcycle is primarily a transportation device. As such, it fits perfectly well into all of my life's events that require me to be at some particular point at some particular time. Surely the logistics of appearing at the interview location dressed for the occasion can be solved with a backpack with some sharp-looking rags? Why would the prospective employer care (or even know) how you got there, as long as you're on time? Simply none of his business, just like your religion (or lack of it)!
I simply don't understand. For me (and millions around the world) a motorcycle is primarily a transportation device. As such, it fits perfectly well into all of my life's events that require me to be at some particular point at some particular time. Surely the logistics of appearing at the interview location dressed for the occasion can be solved with a backpack with some sharp-looking rags? Why would the prospective employer care (or even know) how you got there, as long as you're on time? Simply none of his business, just like your religion (or lack of it)! The realities of the world are that while it is in fact no one's business according to our laws and constitution, it is everyone's business according to their personal social convictions.

The fact the person asked the question suggests he understands the nature of the job does not necessarily attract managers who would understand the motorcycling lifestyle.

If someone's looking for a job as a roustabout or construction worker, it'd probably be a positive.

The OP shows a good deal of social intelligence by asking this question and I believe he does know the answer.

On the positive side of this, I was riding on one occasion and happened to meet a state senator in a local coffee house. I recognized her right away and immediately engaged her in conversation. She was fresh from pushing additional regulations for motorcycles, of which I was well aware, being on her email list. But she was very interested in my opinions and asked what kind of motorcycle I was riding.

Her conclusion was that motorcycling was a very important lifestyle choice for constituents and she seemed to respect that.

Not everyone does.
LongRanger_imp said:
I lived in San Diego and rode 1200 miles to an interview in Denver, though I rented a car when I got there. I shipped my suit via UPS so it was waiting for me. I got the job.
You bet you did.:clap:
 
I guess the reality is that we in the US are still judged initially on appearances, if you want to "get in" to the club you have to look like you already belong.
 
4 Paws_imp said:
I guess the reality is that we in the US are still judged initially on appearances, if you want to "get in" to the club you have to look like you already belong.
It's the same all over the world. Human nature.
 
Back
Top