to puig or not to puig (or, which Puig screens fit ?)

j3gq_imp

Been there
Thread starter
Went to a accessory shop today, to check out wind-screens for my 2017 EX. Full set of measurements in my pockets, and photos of my headlight, the headlight brackets, and all the rest. My own requirements:
- rapid mount, rapid removal of the screen,
- quality and solid mounting, able to withstand many install/removal cycles without damage to the screen, the mount or the m/c,
- easy adjust of the angle of attack (at least to some degree)
- good protection of my upper body from icy winds in winter,
- cheap (so I don't mind dumping if it doesn't work for me),
- less important ... but still : no or little buffeting at higher speeds.

They had three Puig screens in stock, claimed all three a fit on all CB1100/s - the Mini (~ 25$), the Vision (~ 40$), and the Custom (~ 75$), the first two mounted on the headlight bracket, the last one with versatile mounting on the handlebar (photos follow tomorrow).

Detailed measurements of the EX headlight bracket showed that one would have to squeeze the lower end of the Mini and/or the Vision, and I mean squeeze really hard to make it fit. No doubt in conflict with my 2nd requirement. This will result in micro cracks - sooner or later - where the screws go through the plastic.

So I brought the Custom screen home. Looks like good quality, fits the EX (and probably all earlier models), and last not least all my other boxes ticked. A ride report to follow on the next sunny day.
 
I've been using the National Cycle wind screens for over five years on three different bikes model Deflector Screen on my Yamaha Bolt, a Street Shield on my 2018 Indian Scout and my CB1100. The National Cycle wind screens I purchase are a Polycarbonate and very tough. I haven't developed any scratches, however, on my 2015 Bolt I started developing a tiny crack where the support meets the shield. I contacted National Cycle and they sent a new one; I liked that. I haven't had any problems since then. I was riding about 3,000 to 4,000 a year and I found the larger Street Shield worked better. It keeps the wind off your chest and I had my Indian and CB1100 up to 90MPH with no buffeting. I should disclose the I am short, so keep that in mind when you read stuff on adjusting the screen. I know your specs were at a lower price point, but the National Cycle shields are worth the extra money. You can buy them directly from National Cycle, but Amazon has a great return policy. This isn't a paid endorsement.
 
Thread starter
I wouldn't have said "I knew ... " if Cormanus, or Tev had made that comment ///
But I think I learned from your posts to forecast this tiny little piece of the future ;)
 
Crossfire_imp said:
I've been using the National Cycle wind screens for over five years on three different bikes model Deflector Screen on my Yamaha Bolt, a Street Shield on my 2018 Indian Scout and my CB1100. The National Cycle wind screens I purchase are a Polycarbonate and very tough. I haven't developed any scratches, however, on my 2015 Bolt I started developing a tiny crack where the support meets the shield. I contacted National Cycle and they sent a new one; I liked that. I haven't had any problems since then. I was riding about 3,000 to 4,000 a year and I found the larger Street Shield worked better. It keeps the wind off your chest and I had my Indian and CB1100 up to 90MPH with no buffeting. I should disclose the I am short, so keep that in mind when you read stuff on adjusting the screen. I know your specs were at a lower price point, but the National Cycle shields are worth the extra money. You can buy them directly from National Cycle, but Amazon has a great return policy. This isn't a paid endorsement.
That is really swell to know. I use National Cycle shield product and so far not a problem after a couple of years. It is nice to see they stand behind their product.
 
Houtman_imp said:
j3gq_imp said:
Houtman_imp said:
At first I thought it said " to puke or not to puke "
I knew that you would ... read it this way ;)
I knew that you would ... read it this way ;)
Although we never met ,you know my way of thinking..
I knew that you would ... read it this way ;)
Although we never met ,you know my way of thinking..
Although we never met, I think we have the same outdated prescription on our reading glasses.
 

Careful on the Puig. I am not sure which one I have, but it has rods that go from the shield to the brackets on the handlebars and the brackets are just barely long enough. They can only be fit one way, so leave you no room for error. So far, have had no problems, but I'd like to have another inch on those rods, just in case.
As far as protection goes, the wind still beats me to death, so I'm not sure it is doing much.
 
Nachodaddy_imp said:
Careful on the Puig. I am not sure which one I have, but it has rods that go from the shield to the brackets on the handlebars and the brackets are just barely long enough. They can only be fit one way, so leave you no room for error. So far, have had no problems, but I'd like to have another inch on those rods, just in case.
As far as protection goes, the wind still beats me to death, so I'm not sure it is doing much.
I found that a mini-screen on the CB1100 helped reduce the air pressure on the chest by maybe up to 50%, up to around 120 km/h, and on a good day with meaningless prevailing winds, no moon, ... Pluto in the shadow of Neptune.
 
I have had both the Puig Raptor and the Puig Universal 8". Both will easily slide between the headlight bolts and the headlight brackets and then you just tighten the bolts back up.

The raptor was 70$ and fit better over our gauges.

The universal was 40$ and taller and worked better in the wind but was a little more forward than I'd like as the gauges and the curve of the windscreen compete with each other. (Just me being picky)

For both options you need to add the little sticky foam circle pads between the gauges and windscreen so it doesn't rub the paint off the gauges (ask me how I know)

Either way I used both of them for about 7k miles equally. When I caught some sand and had a low speed tip over I scratched the universal and didn't like the scratched windscreen on my nice CB so I moved that over to an old 81 KZ440 I have and got rhe rapter for my CB.

Last season I fabricated a new windscreen out of the Emgo Venom but I haven't been able to try the bike out with the new fairing yet.

Either way both Puigs were easy, reliable, inexpensive, of good quality.

2014 CB1100, 1981 KZ440 LTD, 1993 Yamaha XJ600 Seca, 1994 Yamaha XJ600 Seca
First 3 photos/shorter screen are Raptor last week are of the Puig Universal, I apologizeI swapped memory cards so I csnt find any more of the universal right now.
631a68bbc8ab1c199de9f04c8b69c917.jpg
f8c4cca733089d11a5cc34529e2c41eb.jpg
53fded036750328667c74505199b2ecb.jpg

b044a187903b076a7f36acf1ef2f46d2.jpg
4936777abca307eca0824ede254c2b18.jpg
 
mvk24_imp said:
I have had both the Puig Raptor and the Puig Universal 8". Both will easily slide between the headlight bolts and the headlight brackets and then you just tighten the bolts back up.

The raptor was 70$ and fit better over our gauges.

The universal was 40$ and taller and worked better in the wind but was a little more forward than I'd like as the gauges and the curve of the windscreen compete with each other. (Just me being picky)

For both options you need to add the little sticky foam circle pads between the gauges and windscreen so it doesn't rub the paint off the gauges (ask me how I know)

Either way I used both of them for about 7k miles equally. When I caught some sand and had a low speed tip over I scratched the universal and didn't like the scratched windscreen on my nice CB so I moved that over to an old 81 KZ440 I have and got rhe rapter for my CB.

Last season I fabricated a new windscreen out of the Emgo Venom but I haven't been able to try the bike out with the new fairing yet.

Either way both Puigs were easy, reliable, inexpensive, of good quality.

2014 CB1100, 1981 KZ440 LTD, 1993 Yamaha XJ600 Seca, 1994 Yamaha XJ600 Seca
First 3 photos/shorter screen are Raptor last week are of the Puig Universal, I apologizeI swapped memory cards so I csnt find any more of the universal right now.
631a68bbc8ab1c199de9f04c8b69c917.jpg
f8c4cca733089d11a5cc34529e2c41eb.jpg
53fded036750328667c74505199b2ecb.jpg

b044a187903b076a7f36acf1ef2f46d2.jpg
4936777abca307eca0824ede254c2b18.jpg
Great angle mvk24. CB1100 looks extra special.
 
Thread starter
Nachodaddy_imp said:
Careful on the Puig. I am not sure which one I have, but it has rods that go from the shield to the brackets on the handlebars and the brackets are just barely long enough. They can only be fit one way, so leave you no room for error. So far, have had no problems, but I'd like to have another inch on those rods, just in case.
As far as protection goes, the wind still beats me to death, so I'm not sure it is doing much.
Would it be very easy to replace the rods ? Don’t wonna be the smart Alec, but could a long rod, bare Aluminum, cut to your desire not solve the problem?
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
mvk24_imp said:
I have had both the Puig Raptor and the Puig Universal 8". Both will easily slide between the headlight bolts and the headlight brackets and then you just tighten the bolts back up.

The raptor was 70$ and fit better over our gauges.

The universal was 40$ and taller and worked better in the wind but was a little more forward than I'd like as the gauges and the curve of the windscreen compete with each other. (Just me being picky)

For both options you need to add the little sticky foam circle pads between the gauges and windscreen so it doesn't rub the paint off the gauges (ask me how I know)

Either way I used both of them for about 7k miles equally. When I caught some sand and had a low speed tip over I scratched the universal and didn't like the scratched windscreen on my nice CB so I moved that over to an old 81 KZ440 I have and got rhe rapter for my CB.

Last season I fabricated a new windscreen out of the Emgo Venom but I haven't been able to try the bike out with the new fairing yet.

Either way both Puigs were easy, reliable, inexpensive, of good quality.

2014 CB1100, 1981 KZ440 LTD, 1993 Yamaha XJ600 Seca, 1994 Yamaha XJ600 Seca
First 3 photos/shorter screen are Raptor last week are of the Puig Universal, I apologizeI swapped memory cards so I csnt find any more of the universal right now.
631a68bbc8ab1c199de9f04c8b69c917.jpg
f8c4cca733089d11a5cc34529e2c41eb.jpg
53fded036750328667c74505199b2ecb.jpg

b044a187903b076a7f36acf1ef2f46d2.jpg
4936777abca307eca0824ede254c2b18.jpg
Great angle mvk24. CB1100 looks extra special.
Great angle mvk24. CB1100 looks extra special. Thanks, cant wait to ride again and get a ton of new photos

2014 CB1100, 1981 KZ440 LTD, 1993 Yamaha XJ600 Seca, 1994 Yamaha XJ600 Seca
j3gq_imp said:
Nachodaddy_imp said:
Careful on the Puig. I am not sure which one I have, but it has rods that go from the shield to the brackets on the handlebars and the brackets are just barely long enough. They can only be fit one way, so leave you no room for error. So far, have had no problems, but I'd like to have another inch on those rods, just in case.
As far as protection goes, the wind still beats me to death, so I'm not sure it is doing much.
Would it be very easy to replace the rods ? Don’t wonna be the smart Alec, but could a long rod, bare Aluminum, cut to your desire not solve the problem?
Would it be very easy to replace the rods ? Don’t wonna be the smart Alec, but could a long rod, bare Aluminum, cut to your desire not solve the problem? Both the Puig Raptor and Puig Universal 8" i had didnt come with or need rods to go to the handle bars. But a nice basic windscreen and bag full of different mounting hardware options.

2014 CB1100, 1981 KZ440 LTD, 1993 Yamaha XJ600 Seca, 1994 Yamaha XJ600 Seca
 


[/QUOTE]
Would it be very easy to replace the rods ? Don’t wonna be the smart Alec, but could a long rod, bare Aluminum, cut to your desire not solve the problem?
[/QUOTE]
It might just be easier to get one that fits better. The windshield end of the rod is a ball and socket which allows it to swivel for various angles of attachment. It could probably be dismantled and a longer rod fitted to the ball if you had no other choice.
 
Thread starter
Only now do I see that the model I bought yesterday is a slightly improved design wrt the ball and socket. Better fastened onto the screen, slightly different position. This might explain that I don’t have the problem you mentioned. Will post a photo tomorrow.
 
Thread starter
Just one photo to show how little a transparent Puig Custom is visible (in contrast to any dark theme / tainted screen).
If the sun comes ever back, I'll shout another photo outside from a distance. A screen is a screen, but there are screens which ruin the looks signif more.[attachment=15013]
 
Back
Top