To flashing reserve on the DLX

the Ferret

Road warrior
Thread starter
So on my ride last night I was determined to see when this bike went to flashing reserve and what would happen with the new fuel electronics when it did

I had filled up on 1 bar not flashing last time at 142 miles, and zeroed my Trip B. When I got to 142 miles on this tank I started watching it. Finally at 153 the last bar started flashing (about 3 miles from home) and then the mileage went to 61 indicating at current speed I had 61 more miles of fuel left in the tank ( 153 + 61 would indicate a range of 214 miles). Then it flashed to total miles on bike. Then back to miles on tank and remaining miles on tank, then back to total miles on bike. Very strange. Why would I need to know total miles on bike when I am running out of gas?

Funny thing is, when I got to my street I slowed down from 55 to 25 and by the time I got home I actually had 64 miles of gas left at the new current consumption rate of 25 mph.

My next goal is to see if I can actually get 200 miles on the tank if I don't chicken out, panic and fill up.

Btw the computer said 50.8 mpg ave for anyone who cares ( Tortuga I know you don't ;) )
 
That is still some impressive mpg you are getting! To bad they didn't have that fancy guy with the calculator built in to the 13 model... ;)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
Lol.. Like reading a Kevin Cameron article huh?

Where are you lost? I filled up, zeroed my meter, went 153 miles before the last block started flashing, and I'm going to see if i can get 200 miles on the tank.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Lol.. Like reading a Kevin Cameron article huh?

Where are you lost? I filled up, zeroed my meter, went 153 miles before the last block started flashing, and I'm going to see if i can get 200 miles on the tank.
That's it? Thats all there is to it?


I need to stop drinking.
 
Thread starter
The last post was the " Pony" version. It's not necessary to read the whole book, just pick up the crib notes and read that. ;)
 
He has the one of a kind bike! Both his 13 and now his 14 either that our he does all downhill riding and coasts for the most part. ;-)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
 
The ferret_imp said:
So on my ride last night I was determined to see when this bike went to flashing reserve and what would happen with the new fuel electronics when it did

I had filled up on 1 bar not flashing last time at 142 miles, and zeroed my Trip B. When I got to 142 miles on this tank I started watching it. Finally at 153 the last bar started flashing (about 3 miles from home) and then the mileage went to 61 indicating at current speed I had 61 more miles of fuel left in the tank ( 153 + 61 would indicate a range of 214 miles). Then it flashed to total miles on bike. Then back to miles on tank and remaining miles on tank, then back to total miles on bike. Very strange. Why would I need to know total miles on bike when I am running out of gas?

Funny thing is, when I got to my street I slowed down from 55 to 25 and by the time I got home I actually had 64 miles of gas left at the new current consumption rate of 25 mph.

My next goal is to see if I can actually get 200 miles on the tank if I don't chicken out, panic and fill up.

Btw the computer said 50.8 mpg ave for anyone who cares ( Tortuga I know you don't ;) )
Hehe, you're right. It doesn't bother me. I fill up with BP Ultimate Unleaded at a heady £1.40 per litre. Only the best for my Dixie.:excited:
 
The gauges on mine are very close to right! I fill mine up on center stand pack it full. The bike shows how much you have used! Mine was showing I used 1.6 gallons when I filled up it was 1.5 gallons reading on the pump! So giving pump error and gauge error and trying to put the same amount back in it .1 tenth is pretty close.
Michael
 
Thread starter
wildezt_imp said:
:-/ :huh: how does Mr.ferret always gets really great mileage..? please share your secret..!
My tires last a long time too ;)

Turn old, ride slow.

Seriously no fast stops or starts, speed limit +- 5 mph, mostly backroads with no reason to get on and off the gas 45- 60 mph.

Don't expect that everyone would get the same satisfaction from riding like that, like I do. Had my years I was hard on equipment. They are behind me now.

I don't run anymore either, and don't walk very fast for that matter.
 
Good on you, Ferret! Always pushing the limits in search of data for your readers. :beerchug: (Think tea)

How about strapping a small container of petrol to the bak of the bike and going for the magic 200?
 
The ferret_imp said:
wildezt_imp said:
:-/ :huh: how does Mr.ferret always gets really great mileage..? please share your secret..!
My tires last a long time too ;)

Turn old, ride slow.

Seriously no fast stops or starts, speed limit +- 5 mph, mostly backroads with no reason to get on and off the gas 45- 60 mph.

Don't expect that everyone would get the same satisfaction from riding like that, like I do. Had my years I was hard on equipment. They are behind me now.

I don't run anymore either, and don't walk very fast for that matter.
My tires last a long time too ;)

Turn old, ride slow.

Seriously no fast stops or starts, speed limit +- 5 mph, mostly backroads with no reason to get on and off the gas 45- 60 mph.

Don't expect that everyone would get the same satisfaction from riding like that, like I do. Had my years I was hard on equipment. They are behind me now.

I don't run anymore either, and don't walk very fast for that matter.
And if you want to "test" a new exhaust and air funnel, you can also be rewarded with 38.94 mpg.......and have fun doing it!
 
I make full use of all that marvelous acceleration that Honda saw fit to bestow upon this engine. As such, I regularly get 42 mpg around town. I did a couple hour ride on the slab a few weeks ago at a steady 75 mph and turned in a respectable 53 mpg. This bike has the best of both worlds.
 
Thread starter
42 mpg is pretty darn respectable when thrashing a 4 cyl liter bike IMO
 
The ferret_imp said:
42 mpg is pretty darn respectable when thrashing a 4 cyl liter bike IMO
Absolutely! My CB750 only turns in 39-40 mpg in town. All those computers and gadgets in the CB11 definitely make a difference.
 
The ferret_imp said:
So on my ride last night I was determined to see when this bike went to flashing reserve and what would happen with the new fuel electronics when it did

I had filled up on 1 bar not flashing last time at 142 miles, and zeroed my Trip B. When I got to 142 miles on this tank I started watching it. Finally at 153 the last bar started flashing (about 3 miles from home) and then the mileage went to 61 indicating at current speed I had 61 more miles of fuel left in the tank ( 153 + 61 would indicate a range of 214 miles). Then it flashed to total miles on bike. Then back to miles on tank and remaining miles on tank, then back to total miles on bike. Very strange. Why would I need to know total miles on bike when I am running out of gas?

Funny thing is, when I got to my street I slowed down from 55 to 25 and by the time I got home I actually had 64 miles of gas left at the new current consumption rate of 25 mph.

My next goal is to see if I can actually get 200 miles on the tank if I don't chicken out, panic and fill up.

Btw the computer said 50.8 mpg ave for anyone who cares ( Tortuga I know you don't ;) )
I've now got 340 miles on my 2014 Deluxe. My average fuel mileage is 46.6, and that's doing it the old-fashioned way and using a calculator (I haven't read my owner's manual to figure out how to use the computer yet).

Hey Ferret - what tools came with your bike?
 
Dave_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
So on my ride last night I was determined to see when this bike went to flashing reserve and what would happen with the new fuel electronics when it did

I had filled up on 1 bar not flashing last time at 142 miles, and zeroed my Trip B. When I got to 142 miles on this tank I started watching it. Finally at 153 the last bar started flashing (about 3 miles from home) and then the mileage went to 61 indicating at current speed I had 61 more miles of fuel left in the tank ( 153 + 61 would indicate a range of 214 miles). Then it flashed to total miles on bike. Then back to miles on tank and remaining miles on tank, then back to total miles on bike. Very strange. Why would I need to know total miles on bike when I am running out of gas?

Funny thing is, when I got to my street I slowed down from 55 to 25 and by the time I got home I actually had 64 miles of gas left at the new current consumption rate of 25 mph.

My next goal is to see if I can actually get 200 miles on the tank if I don't chicken out, panic and fill up.

Btw the computer said 50.8 mpg ave for anyone who cares ( Tortuga I know you don't ;) )
I've now got 340 miles on my 2014 Deluxe. My average fuel mileage is 46.6, and that's doing it the old-fashioned way and using a calculator (I haven't read my owner's manual to figure out how to use the computer yet).

Hey Ferret - what tools came with your bike?
It's Deja Vu all over again :D This was a common question asked by new owners last year (including myself). Does your toolkit consist of a screwdriver and maybe an allen wrench? If so, that's your toolkit. Owners outside the U.S. appear to have gotten the full customary kit. If you want one you can build your own (search this forum) or buy the stock kit from Honda.
 
Flynrider_imp said:
Dave_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
So on my ride last night I was determined to see when this bike went to flashing reserve and what would happen with the new fuel electronics when it did

I had filled up on 1 bar not flashing last time at 142 miles, and zeroed my Trip B. When I got to 142 miles on this tank I started watching it. Finally at 153 the last bar started flashing (about 3 miles from home) and then the mileage went to 61 indicating at current speed I had 61 more miles of fuel left in the tank ( 153 + 61 would indicate a range of 214 miles). Then it flashed to total miles on bike. Then back to miles on tank and remaining miles on tank, then back to total miles on bike. Very strange. Why would I need to know total miles on bike when I am running out of gas?

Funny thing is, when I got to my street I slowed down from 55 to 25 and by the time I got home I actually had 64 miles of gas left at the new current consumption rate of 25 mph.

My next goal is to see if I can actually get 200 miles on the tank if I don't chicken out, panic and fill up.

Btw the computer said 50.8 mpg ave for anyone who cares ( Tortuga I know you don't ;) )
I've now got 340 miles on my 2014 Deluxe. My average fuel mileage is 46.6, and that's doing it the old-fashioned way and using a calculator (I haven't read my owner's manual to figure out how to use the computer yet).

Hey Ferret - what tools came with your bike?
It's Deja Vu all over again :D This was a common question asked by new owners last year (including myself). Does your toolkit consist of a screwdriver and maybe an allen wrench? If so, that's your toolkit. Owners outside the U.S. appear to have gotten the full customary kit. If you want one you can build your own (search this forum) or buy the stock kit from Honda.
It's Deja Vu all over again :D This was a common question asked by new owners last year (including myself). Does your toolkit consist of a screwdriver and maybe an allen wrench? If so, that's your toolkit. Owners outside the U.S. appear to have gotten the full customary kit. If you want one you can build your own (search this forum) or buy the stock kit from Honda.
Mine came with a full socket set, a 3 tonne trolley jack, Snap On roller can, chainsaw, bike lift, 3 spare wheels and a cement mixer. I thought that was standard?

Must be because it was a superior 'white one' :excited:
 
Thread starter
The white ones need all that. The red ones only need a screw driver, a 5 mm allen and a fuse puller.
 
Back
Top