To CB1100 or NOT

Kalamari_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Hello all

I am 44 and have very fond memories of riding on the back of my dads CB550 and CB750 back in the 70's as a kid.

I got into riding in 1999 buying a 74 CB350 four with 3200 miles. I still have the bike - currently rebuilding master cylinder and caliper.

In 2000, I bought a Shadow Sabre - also still have and in excellent shape.

My dilemma is that I kinda prefer the standard bikes and their riding position.... I really like the old CBs and love the idea of having a modern version (no real maintenance concerns) with better braking and performance - although prefer to have it in Black.

I really dont think I need 3 bikes (nor does my wife)... and never really considered myself a cruiser type of guy and dont care for super sport bikes... so I am thinking of trading the sabre in (I will never let go of the CB350). Oddly enough though - I have grown attached to my Sabre.

Can any compare the ride of the cb1100 with the shadow line cruiser? I feel my sabre runs quite smooth and pulls ok (although on the tame side). As far as handling, I certainly feel comfy on the highway but feel like I am along for the ride and less in control at times at slower maneuvering.

Is the CB1100 stable on the highway? I seldom ride over 70 anyway - but I have heard complaints of wind.

I guess I am looking for anyone who has made a similiar move (cruiser to standard) and has regrets (what are they?) or tell me if you are very satified and never looked back.

Thanks for reading and appreciate your thoughts

Kurt
 
Hey kalamari, welcome to the forum... If you have very fond vivid memories about your rides on the 750, man I say you go for the CB1100...you will never regret getting it.. !!! Take a test ride if you are in a dilemma, and listen to your heart while doing it... ! :)
 
Kalamari_imp said:
Hello all

I am 44 and have very fond memories of riding on the back of my dads CB550 and CB750 back in the 70's as a kid.

I got into riding in 1999 buying a 74 CB350 four with 3200 miles. I still have the bike - currently rebuilding master cylinder and caliper.

In 2000, I bought a Shadow Sabre - also still have and in excellent shape.

My dilemma is that I kinda prefer the standard bikes and their riding position.... I really like the old CBs and love the idea of having a modern version (no real maintenance concerns) with better braking and performance - although prefer to have it in Black.

I really dont think I need 3 bikes (nor does my wife)... and never really considered myself a cruiser type of guy and dont care for super sport bikes... so I am thinking of trading the sabre in (I will never let go of the CB350). Oddly enough though - I have grown attached to my Sabre.

Can any compare the ride of the cb1100 with the shadow line cruiser? I feel my sabre runs quite smooth and pulls ok (although on the tame side). As far as handling, I certainly feel comfy on the highway but feel like I am along for the ride and less in control at times at slower maneuvering.

Is the CB1100 stable on the highway? I seldom ride over 70 anyway - but I have heard complaints of wind.

I guess I am looking for anyone who has made a similiar move (cruiser to standard) and has regrets (what are they?) or tell me if you are very satified and never looked back.

Thanks for reading and appreciate your thoughts

Kurt
Kurt,

The above statement is true. But it's also true that you don't "need" even one motorcycle. I've got 8 motorcycles and I don't need any of them. My (now ex) wife did think she needed 50 pairs of shoes however. When I travel on a bike, I ride a Harley Road King with hard bags and a windshield. It's very comfortable crusing at 85 mph with no wind hitting me in the chest. When I go out to ride for a few hours I take the CB1100. I love that bike's looks and I think it's a blast to ride. If it's raining out I audition a potential future wife! Cheers.

Chip
 
''Is the CB1100 stable on the highway? I seldom ride over 70 anyway - but I have heard complaints of wind." On any bike without a windshield there will be issues with wind depending on the individual..................trust us here, you WILL enjoy the bike.
 
I went from a ShadowRS to my CB1100. It was a weird cruiser with a relatively standard seating position, and controls under you. It was a fine piece of machinery, but handled like a cruiser, nothing wrong with that. I also happen to own a 1972 CB350, that I love dearly, but don't trust it on trips longer than the range of my best friend with a pickup for retrieval. Wanted a standard that met the reliability of my Shadow, and felt like my CB. Oh, and had twice the horsepower and cylinders.

This CB1100 spoils it for me. My CB350 sits neglected mostly. And I miss my ShadowRS on somedays when the Cruisers won't wave at me. Otherwise, I have found the last new motorcycle I will be buying in awhile.
 
72 CB350 is a very different beast than a 74 CB350 four. I have a 73 CB350 four (aka CB350F). It is teaching me that carbs are for the birds. EFI is the way to go.

My primary ride prior to the CB1100 was a Moto Guzzi Griso (still have it). In town the CB is a pleasure to ride. Less heat, less power, 30, 35, 40, 45mph I can set the speed and Honda just sits there. Seems to me the Honda has more low end torque in the lower revs (2000-3500) than the Griso. At speed the Griso is superior. Less vibration (or more pleasant) at 65+. Handles better; certainly gives me more confidence at speed. In the end, one is apples, one is oranges. Both are vastly superior to the CB350F. That opinion is based mainly on my bias towards torque with the 350 has none of. I do ride the 650L from time to time and I think push come to shove I'll purge all the bikes except that on if it means I can only have one bike. It's light and has boat loads of torque. Does not cruise down the road like the Griso or CB but it does some much just as good (without looking as pretty either; but I'm no calendar guy either).

At speed, above 65mph in my experience, on a naked bike, wind is going to be a problem. Little bikini or cafe' fairings can help a lot while keeping the motorcycling experience and not upsetting handling like your larger handlebar fairings that can act like sails. More protection comes with a price.

So for wind, there are inexpensive solutions (I use a Givi A770 on the Griso) that will help you out if you think it's an issue for you.

As for comparing the Sabre to the CB, more like apples to bananas. Two completely different bikes. Your personality will be the defining factor there. Some guys are cruiser guys and some are more sport or standard and the CB fits more in the standard with slightly sporting abilities. I'm not that much into cruisers.
 
Thread starter
Thanks for all the insight....

To be more clear regarding stability.... I think I phrased my question poorly. So I'll try again, is weight and balance of the CB1100 stable at 50MPH and higher - particularly when trucks drive past in the opposite direction on 2 lane highways? The CB350 seems to dip out of the way in these situations making the rider feel slightly vulnerable - I believe the 350 is about 100lbs less than the CB1100. By contrast, the sabre holds its line fairly well and wont bully easily to side step.

Finally, would you avoid the CB1100 on a longer trip? Again, I have no future plans for annual Sturgis runs - but wondering if this bike will accomodate occasional 2-3 day road trips (4-6 hours riding each day).
 
I commute 115 miles a day on mine at 75-80. I have added a windshield and I am now comfortable with fhe ride. I would definitely suggest one if you plan on any extended riding at speed, otherwise go out and have fun.
The bike is very stable at speed in my opinion.
 
I rode my CB1100 about 500 miles this past weekend with 30 to 40mph headwinds the entire way -- the evil gusts shifted the other direction for the return trip -- and yeah, with no windshield it was a pretty miserable experience. The bike itself is plenty comfortable for long rides, but definitely needs a windscreen. The headwind was just angled enough so that when semi trucks blew past in the other direction I was blasted with a lot of air from them. The bike was completely stable when the blast hit me. I, however, did duck down as they passed so that I wasn't sitting upright when the blast hit. In any case I was going 70 mph most of the way and felt like a sail holding on for dear life in those kind of headwinds. A windscreen is a must for long distances.

I have a big bike with a windscreen also, but was determined to ride the CB so I could show it off to some friends. In hindsight, I should've just sent them a picture! :s
 
Kalamari_imp said:
Thanks for all the insight....

To be more clear regarding stability.... I think I phrased my question poorly. So I'll try again, is weight and balance of the CB1100 stable at 50MPH and higher - particularly when trucks drive past in the opposite direction on 2 lane highways? The CB350 seems to dip out of the way in these situations making the rider feel slightly vulnerable - I believe the 350 is about 100lbs less than the CB1100. By contrast, the sabre holds its line fairly well and wont bully easily to side step.

Finally, would you avoid the CB1100 on a longer trip? Again, I have no future plans for annual Sturgis runs - but wondering if this bike will accomodate occasional 2-3 day road trips (4-6 hours riding each day).
I ride on 2-lane highways and catch wind like that all the time - I feel the gust but it doesn't move the bike at all. The only time I've been moved was in very heavy winds in a torrential downpour.

As for a ride that long, I'll feel better about it once I get a new seat and eventually a bikini fairing, but I have been out riding aimlessly that long with some stops along the way.
 
When younger I toured on a 125, 360 and 550. When I got back into riding I've only toured on the Quota, a 1100 adventure bike and semi's would bobble her if the cross wind was just right. But she was a tall bike with a fair amount of sail area. Lower heavier bikes with little sail area will fair better.

That said, just about any bike will bobble given the right circumstances. The Griso is low and about the same weight at the CB and it handles wind fairly well so I expect no less from the CB. The seat on the CB is vastly superior to the Griso so I plan on putting it to the test this fall when it cools down a bit.
 
Well, I've put over 60,000 miles on a Honda 1100 Shadow (including a one month trip around the US)..
The CB will comforatbly cruise at much higher speeds than the Shadow, but because of it's low-end torque it'll also loaf around at low-rpms just as easily as the Shadow does.
The only important things that are given up between the Shadow and CB, to me, are the low-maintenance aspects of the 1100 Shadow engine..
That motor got nothing but oil, filters, a couple of changes of spark plugs. The final drive oil got changed once. Other than that it was just tires.

The CB will be higher maintenance.. For that reason I'm not ready to make the CB into my 'high mileage tourer'.. as I'd be counting down the miles to the next valve adjustment/inspection (every 8000 miles ? sheesh !), and the skinny tires probably won't last as long before needing replacement.
 
Thread starter
Thanks for your replys and insight guys...

I think what I need to do... is get my CB350 running properly (braking and carburation) and see if this holds back my urge to buy a standard (CB1100).

In the meantime, I need to locate a dealer that will allow a test ride of the bike... the few I have contacted do not.

If I am still obsessing after the CB350 is fully resurrected - I will pursue the CB1100 new and/or the used market next season.

I am thinking one way or another.... this bike is eventually going to be in my garage - my guess is that riding it will seal the deal.
 
Kalamari_imp said:
Thanks for your replys and insight guys...

I think what I need to do... is get my CB350 running properly (braking and carburation) and see if this holds back my urge to buy a standard (CB1100).

In the meantime, I need to locate a dealer that will allow a test ride of the bike... the few I have contacted do not.

If I am still obsessing after the CB350 is fully resurrected - I will pursue the CB1100 new and/or the used market next season.

I am thinking one way or another.... this bike is eventually going to be in my garage - my guess is that riding it will seal the deal.
Good luck with whatever you decide. I think the CB350F is a jewel. Someone had a fully restored one and was asking $5999 for it (with spares).. good thing I had already gotten the CB1100, or....

As for 'cruisers' (I don't think any such word in this context existed before the '70s (?)), I read too many chopper magazines at the drug store (before 'drug' became a bad word) as a kid.. I'm brainwashed and I can't give them up :-)
 
The 350 and 1100 are completely different beasts. The first thing you'll notice, the 1100 motivates around town with nary of throttle twisting. She just goes. The 350 you have wring the snot out of it to get it to go. Some folks love doing that, not my cup-o-tea, YMMV.

Having EFI and electronic ignition the CB should be trouble free. You can get electronic ignition (I did) for the 350 but you are stuck with carbs. Not too bad to live with if you run her often to keep the jets clean.

Lastly; and this is very personal, I'm a tall guy with a very long inseam which makes the 350 a bit of a joke for me. I fit the 1100 much better (and better than I fit the Griso).

I'm a torque junkie so the 350 is a poor fit for me. Other wise it's a very cute bike and I do enjoy the shorter rides with her.
 
I traded in an '09 Vulcan 900 Custom on my 1100 and I am so much happier. As you're aware, a cruiser is compromised when it comes to suspension travel in order to get the low seat height, and as a result your butt/spine pays the price for "looking cool." I must have been in denial about this, because when I was on my way to get the eleven, that Vulcan was crashing over every bump I hit and I thought to myself, "Why have I been putting up with this?" Comparatively speaking, the 1100 is lighter, faster, quicker, handles better, rides better...I have no regrets at all.
 
Wow, all good comments here. This 11 retro thing is so subjective. It is
not for everyone, but it does sound like it could be for you. If your ex-
pectations are low you will be pleasently surprised. If your looking for
a modern version of a 1983 CB1100F, which it should sounds like you
are not, you will be just fine. No big horsepower, no wind protection.
 
The CB1100 bug bit me bad. I had a CB750 back in the early '70s and a CB750F back in '76 so this think as literally designed with me in mind.
I had a BMW K75 and a Yamaha Road Star 1600 (that I loved) and i sold the Beemer and traded the R* for the CB.
I am thrilled with the CB and I have 20-some miles of I-81 in WV/VA to commute to work and it deals with the trucks better than the R* did. Though, to be honest, I typically take "Rt 11" instead and just enjoy the ride so much more.:cool:
I am already looking for another R* to build as I want but I do NOT regret trading for my CB. I can get two bikes past the wife but more and she starts to complain.:rolleyes:
 
Kalamari_imp said:
Thanks for your replys and insight guys...

I think what I need to do... is get my CB350 running properly (braking and carburation) and see if this holds back my urge to buy a standard (CB1100).

In the meantime, I need to locate a dealer that will allow a test ride of the bike... the few I have contacted do not.

If I am still obsessing after the CB350 is fully resurrected - I will pursue the CB1100 new and/or the used market next season.

I am thinking one way or another.... this bike is eventually going to be in my garage - my guess is that riding it will seal the deal.
I think many of the comments on this thread are spot on, specifically, the CB350 and CB1100 are very different bikes which complement each other rather than are substitutes for each other; they sit on opposite ends of the spectrum in terms of physical size, usable torque characteristics, parts availability / dealer support, cost, etc.

I'd buy the CB1100 first and then refine the CB350; my '75 CB400F will be restored this winter while the summer is being spent riding the CB1100.

7aead412f407f5c944aa31b03068acc2.jpg
 
Back
Top