Tires for 2017ex

pdedse

Moderator
Staff member
Thread starter
Not a Honda dealership, but Guth recommended a place in Portland for work on the 2017 CB1100ex. Mainly stuff I don't want to do: tires changes and valve inspection.

I visited Cycletune yesterday and asked about tires. Got an email reply with 4 options. Any strong opinions? Of 1) grip, 2) longevity and 3) price, I like #2 and 3 better because I'm not an agressive rider, and I don't ride the CB in the rain much.

1. Pirelli Sport Demon front: $167.95
Pirelli Sport Demon rear: $217.95
Subtotal 385.90 less $46 discount (bike bandit has theses prices but they are on sale for about 34% less right now: $110 front and $145 rear)

2. Avon Roadrider front: 150.95
Avon Roadrider rear: 215.95
Subtotal 366.90 Tire Discount -44.03

3. Metzler Roadtec Z8 front: 169.95
Metzler Roadtec Z8 rear: 223.95
Subtotal 393.90 Tire Discount Tire -47.27

4. Bridgestone Battlax BT54 front: 173.95
Bridgestone Battlax BT54 rear: 232.95
Subtotal 406.90 Tire Discount -48.83

They charge $88 for balance and mounting with tires / wheel on the bike.

If one brings in tires from internet purchase, then their intall fee is higher, so it looks like that evens price out. But I'm more interested in opinions of tires themselves.

Thanks.
 
Have you looked at the OEM which came on the bike when new ?
I really like the tubed Dunlop's and probably go for the same but they might only be available thru Honda (at a price ?)
 
Thread starter
Houtman_imp said:
Have you looked at the OEM which came on the bike when new ?
I really like the tubed Dunlop's and probably go for the same but they might only be available thru Honda (at a price ?)
I did ask they guy to look at OEM as well and he said unavailable (to them?); when I asked the dealership a few weeks back about OEM they said they could get them, and I think prices were similar to the ones I included above. But the dealership charges more for mounting and they are another 25 minutes away driving. I've got almost 7k miles and the rear is getting there, while the front could probably go another 2-3.
 
I tried the Sport Demons on my Moto Guzzi V7 and they were toast within 4000 miles. But it was a fun 4000 miles!

Of the tires you listed, only the Metzelers and Bridgestones are radials. I haven't tried the Metzelers on my CB but they held up for about 6000 miles on my F800GT before the profile was ruined.

I do use the BT54's on my CB, however, and just bought another set this past April -- $249 for the pair from Dennis Kirk, less $60 rebate from Bridgestone. The price you were quoted seems a bit high.
 
You can buy the Bridgestone BT54 radials from chapmoto.com for $247.76. Back tire $137.88 front $109.88. I recently bought the front and I like the radial better than the bias ply.
 
Recently purchased a set of BT54 Tubeless for my 2017, however, did not have the change to work on the rims for the conversion from "Tube" to "Tubeless".
Price was similar to what "RLS" mentioned above.
 
Despite being listed on the part websites with costs, the original Dunlop tires on the 2017 EX were never available in North America, and they are now obsolete. I spoke to the Dunlop rep about this two years ago. He said if Honda USA does not request them, they do not provide them.

Dunlop does have a new tire according to the parts dealer's websites. But as I learned im 2017, websites are not always reliable.

I was going to order the Avon tires for my EX, but by the time I needed them they had increased 30% in price. In the 60s British motorcycles came with Dunlop tires. When they were done most of us switched to the Avon tires because they had the reputation of cornering better.

I am not a knee dragger, so the rear original Dunlop on my EX ended up square and bald after 13611 kilometers (8458 miles).

A Honda dealer got me a set of Bridgestone BT54 radials for $281 Canadian (app. US$ 210). I only have 1638 kilometers (1011 miles) on them because of the poor weather. But I like them so far. They do seem to have a rounder profile than the original Dunlop tires.
 
A Honda dealer got me a set of Bridgestone BT54 radials for $281 Canadian (app. US$ 210). I only have 1638 kilometers (1011 miles) on them because of the poor weather. But I like them so far. They do seem to have a rounder profile than the original Dunlop tires.




Nortoon--you're running the BT54s with tubes?

Has anyone here managed to get new OEM Dunlops, thru a dealership or some parts place like Bike Bandit?
 
baxtercat_imp said:
A Honda dealer got me a set of Bridgestone BT54 radials for $281 Canadian (app. US$ 210). I only have 1638 kilometers (1011 miles) on them because of the poor weather. But I like them so far. They do seem to have a rounder profile than the original Dunlop tires.




Nortoon--you're running the BT54s with tubes?

Has anyone here managed to get new OEM Dunlops, thru a dealership or some parts place like Bike Bandit?
I assume the dealer did not remove them.

If you ride the Information Highway you will find some say it is OK, others no. My decision was made because I could not find the proper sizes I needed in the motocross section of the parts dealer's websites.

As I remember, which isn't much at my age, the Dunlop D205 SPORTMAX Touring motorcycle tires that were on the 2017 EX were a radial tire. But if someone wants to go out to the garage to prove me wrong I wouldn't be offended.
 
Thread starter
Nortoon_imp said:
baxtercat_imp said:
A Honda dealer got me a set of Bridgestone BT54 radials for $281 Canadian (app. US$ 210). I only have 1638 kilometers (1011 miles) on them because of the poor weather. But I like them so far. They do seem to have a rounder profile than the original Dunlop tires.




Nortoon--you're running the BT54s with tubes?

Has anyone here managed to get new OEM Dunlops, thru a dealership or some parts place like Bike Bandit?
I assume the dealer did not remove them.

If you ride the Information Highway you will find some say it is OK, others no. My decision was made because I could not find the proper sizes I needed in the motocross section of the parts dealer's websites.

As I remember, which isn't much at my age, the Dunlop D205 SPORTMAX Touring motorcycle tires that were on the 2017 EX were a radial tire. But if someone wants to go out to the garage to prove me wrong I wouldn't be offended.
R means radial, correct? Then yes, the the Dunlop d205 sportmax on the '17ex is a radial.
 
On Monday I will check with my dealer to see if they can order me the OEM Dunlop's for my 2017 as I soon need asset.
If not available in the USA than I will look at the UK or even Mr. T.
I do like the tire and has nearly 6800 miles on them.
 
Houtman_imp said:
On Monday I will check with my dealer to see if they can order me the OEM Dunlop's for my 2017 as I soon need asset.
If not available in the USA than I will look at the UK or even Mr. T.
I do like the tire and has nearly 6800 miles on them.
The shipping costs to England are terrible. I had a set of model train diesels that an English friend wanted to buy. When I went to the Post Office and was told the price I walked away. I e-mailed him and he expected as much, so I mailed them.
 
Ordered and paid for a new set of OEM tires for my 2017.
I also ordered new tubes to be on the safe side. Total cost including tax bit no fitting : $ 508 !
 
Thread starter
Houtman_imp said:
Ordered and paid for a new set of OEM tires for my 2017.
I also ordered new tubes to be on the safe side. Total cost including tax bit no fitting : $ 508 !
I'm going to probably get 8k miles out of my OEM tires for the '17. That means 8k divided by 508 = 15.75 miles per one U.S. dollar.

My car tires for my Pilot cost about about 700, and they last maybe 45k miles. That works out to be 64.2 miles per $1.

Interesting.
 
Darned expensive things, motorcycle tyres. I've just ordered my 8th set. Angel GTs this time. $AU70 cheaper than the PR3 alternative but AU$100 more expensive that the Bridgestone T31s I've just run.
 
Houtman_imp said:
Ordered and paid for a new set of OEM tires for my 2017.
I also ordered new tubes to be on the safe side. Total cost including tax bit no fitting : $ 508 !

good to know it can be done. I'll go that route when the time comes, unless something better, made for tubes, and the right size comes along. which is unlikely.
 
Thread starter
Houtman_imp said:
You probably can get them a little cheaper on line but I like my local dealer . (MR Motor Cycles in Asheville )
I'm getting the impression that only Honda dealers can get the OEM tires for the '17ex here in the U.S. Based on limited searching: honda dealers says no problem, Houtman says he got his from dealer, yet when I try two independents, they can't get OEM.
 
Back
Top