Tires are scarce?

Tom_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
I just started shopping a bit today and it looks like tires are in short supply. The only choice my local Honda dealer has is a Pirelli Sport Demon (fine tire) that is back ordered until the end of May. No Michelin or anything else. Anyone know who has tires for 2013 Standard in stock...or in your shed looking for new home? Online sellers all looked back ordered as well.

I'm the the USA
Thanks
 
Just did a quick check on Revzilla - they have the Pirelli Angel GTs in stock, if you don't mind going to a 160/60/18 rear. Some of us have done that with '13 bikes. Handling is very good.
 
Thread starter
Gone in 60_imp said:
Just did a quick check on Revzilla - they have the Pirelli Angel GTs in stock, if you don't mind going to a 160/60/18 rear. Some of us have done that with '13 bikes. Handling is very good.
I guess they must fit properly? Is there a reason dealers don't offer off-spec tires?
Thanks
 
Tom_imp said:
Gone in 60_imp said:
Just did a quick check on Revzilla - they have the Pirelli Angel GTs in stock, if you don't mind going to a 160/60/18 rear. Some of us have done that with '13 bikes. Handling is very good.
I guess they must fit properly? Is there a reason dealers don't offer off-spec tires?
Thanks
Easy - Liability. If they install other-than-OEM sized tires for your bike, and you have any kind of accident on them, you could potentially come back and say that they made your bike unsafe.

I take my loose wheels and tires to a shop that doesn't care what I'm putting them on. They just do a good job and don't booger up my wheels.
 
My dealer didn’t care. Ordered the Pirellis and they mounted them right up on the wheels I took in. They knew they were for the CB as they sold it to me and see it for the state inspection every year.
 
Certainly some tires are scarce in other m/c forums, but to be honest, I don't think it is out of the ordinary. The prices in many cases have gone up though.
 
Some dealers are more picky - my local Honda dealer balked at it when I asked. Of course, in California, everyone will sue you for anything.
Just like Costco wouldn't sell me a set of tires because my aftermarket wheels called for a size that wasn't OEM for the car.
 
Yea my dealer ordered mine Michelin PR3s and Angel GTs in 160 rear and mounted them up no problems.

Do I remember reading BS 32s come in our sizes too?
 
The ferret_imp said:
Yea my dealer ordered mine Michelin PR3s and Angel GTs in 160 rear and mounted them up no problems.

Do I remember reading BS 32s come in our sizes too?
yeppers... they 100% do come in stock sizes. I run those on my CB. They're a great tire.
 
Personally, I think it's an improvement. I could run the smaller 140 tires all the way to the edges with no margin for safety. I can't quite get the 160's all the way to the edge. Of course that was on the stock Dunlop VS a Michelin PR3 or Pirelli Angel GT. Not sure where my limits would be, more or less on a different brand.
 
Tom_imp said:
Is the 160/60/18 rear tire a handling improvement, degradation, or about the same?
It could conceivably improve performance if you are pushing the boundaries of the existing tyres grip but who rides like a complete nutter on a CB1100? You could say it is detrimental as you have to lean further for a given corner and you are carrying extra un-sprung weight. It takes more energy (fuel) to rotate that heavier tyre too.

But the aesthetics please a lot of people and there may be a particular reason why someone finds its handling characteristics more suited to their style of riding.

Back in 2012 when Triumph launched its big 1200cc Explorer one of its main criticisms was its comparatively skinny rear tyre, the next two versions got a wider section rear to please the mob! They recently launched the new 1200 Explorer (complete new model) and have gone back to a new skinny rear tyre!
 
I know you are looking in the U.S., but there is a lesson from my search in Europe last fall. Honda dealer(s) said back in November no tires for 3 or 4 months. Two online shops said out of stock. Called another and they said, "how about tomorrow, what brand, how many?" I asked if he was joking. "Noops, anything yo want on stock." First I had my doubts if I was getting tires from 2017 etc. But no, order executed in 48 hours, date stamp showed tires were manufactured in August 2021.

So just keep trying a little harder. What you need is out there, waiting for you.
 
Back
Top