tire removal

jdgrego1_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
This may seem like a silly question - but as my teenage son pointed out - unlike a bicycle when you need to change a tire one can't simply "just turn it upside down" to remove a tire- ... so I assume the rear tire can be removed by putting the bike on the center stand (maybe thats not a good assumption?) but how do you remove a front tire - I bought a sisor jack but do you do this with the bike on the center stand or do you do something else to stabilize the bike - thanks for any advise!
 
I have a small floor jack (2 ton) that I use under the engine of some of my bikes to raise the front wheel off the floor so I can spin it for cleaning or whatever.
The exhaust pipes on my '14 1100 are in the way so I can't use it.
The safer and more stable method I like better if I'm going to remove the front wheel entirely is a paddock stand that lifts and supports the forks and weight evenly.
The stand I have fits both of my Honda's as well as the Bonneville so it's very handy.
 
I put mine on the center stand and put a jack under the engine. A piece of wood between the engine and jack. I position so the wood doesn’t contact the headers and is on the ears sticking down. You can see them right down from the oil filter.
 
Thread starter
Rocky_imp said:
I have a small floor jack (2 ton) that I use under the engine of some of my bikes to raise the front wheel off the floor so I can spin it for cleaning or whatever.
The exhaust pipes on my '14 1100 are in the way so I can't use it.
The safer and more stable method I like better if I'm going to remove the front wheel entirely is a paddock stand that lifts and supports the forks and weight evenly.
The stand I have fits both of my Honda's as well as the Bonneville so it's very handy.
Thank you, I thought paddock stands were only for the rear- I will look into that further -
Lord Popgun_imp said:
I put mine on the center stand and put a jack under the engine. A piece of wood between the engine and jack. I position so the wood doesn’t contact the headers and is on the ears sticking down. You can see them right down from the oil filter.
Thanks, I have it on the center stand now and my jack arrived yesterday so I will give that a shot!
Jim21680_imp said:
^That's exactly what I do......it works great. A spare scissor jack (or one from your car) is very convenient.
I appreciate all the feedback, Thanks!
 
I didn't think of using a jack when I took the forks off. However, I did use the center stand and had all the work completed in an hour. I used a wood block to support the under frame.
 
If you have the SW Motech bars you can place an auto jackstand under each bar. I do this whenever removing the front wheel and it's rock solid and the bikes weight is supported by the frame.
 
In my earlier, impoverished days of yore, I had to fix a front tire that went flat overnight in the carport. No jack or jackstands, but my CB750 had a centerstand. Ended up backing up to a fence and got some nylon rope. A neighbor sat on the passenger seat enough to touch the rear wheel down, and I was able to tie the back end of the bike down to lift the front wheel.
 
Thread starter
redbirds_imp said:
If you have the SW Motech bars you can place an auto jackstand under each bar. I do this whenever removing the front wheel and it's rock solid and the bikes weight is supported by the frame.
What are these SW Motech bars you speak of? I went to their website but can’t see anything that looks like it could be used to lift the weight of the front end- thanks for further clarification-
 
jdgrego1_imp said:
redbirds_imp said:
If you have the SW Motech bars you can place an auto jackstand under each bar. I do this whenever removing the front wheel and it's rock solid and the bikes weight is supported by the frame.
What are these SW Motech bars you speak of? I went to their website but can’t see anything that looks like it could be used to lift the weight of the front end- thanks for further clarification-
What are these SW Motech bars you speak of? I went to their website but can’t see anything that looks like it could be used to lift the weight of the front end- thanks for further clarification-




These bars here



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
dsan1964_imp said:
jdgrego1_imp said:
redbirds_imp said:
If you have the SW Motech bars you can place an auto jackstand under each bar. I do this whenever removing the front wheel and it's rock solid and the bikes weight is supported by the frame.
What are these SW Motech bars you speak of? I went to their website but can’t see anything that looks like it could be used to lift the weight of the front end- thanks for further clarification-
What are these SW Motech bars you speak of? I went to their website but can’t see anything that looks like it could be used to lift the weight of the front end- thanks for further clarification-




These bars here



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What are these SW Motech bars you speak of? I went to their website but can’t see anything that looks like it could be used to lift the weight of the front end- thanks for further clarification-




These bars here



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Those are the bars. There are two points where the bars connect to the front frame down tube. The lower connection is a horizontal bar, perpendicular to the frame. This is where you place the jackstand. With the bike on the centerstand, lift the front of the bike with a scissor jack then slide a Jackstand under each crash bar.

a02315336f1a0aa20b6e2ea58635e80b.jpg


d4c06d629d44b892fd75c028ec69b251.jpg
 
That's a great idea, redbirds! I've been using a floor jack under the engine, but your solution is much more stable. I've got Over Racing bars instead of SW Mototech, but they attach the same way and have a similar cross bar.

:thumbsup:
 
Thread starter
redbirds_imp said:
dsan1964_imp said:
jdgrego1_imp said:
redbirds_imp said:
If you have the SW Motech bars you can place an auto jackstand under each bar. I do this whenever removing the front wheel and it's rock solid and the bikes weight is supported by the frame.
What are these SW Motech bars you speak of? I went to their website but can’t see anything that looks like it could be used to lift the weight of the front end- thanks for further clarification-
What are these SW Motech bars you speak of? I went to their website but can’t see anything that looks like it could be used to lift the weight of the front end- thanks for further clarification-




These bars here



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What are these SW Motech bars you speak of? I went to their website but can’t see anything that looks like it could be used to lift the weight of the front end- thanks for further clarification-




These bars here



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Those are the bars. There are two points where the bars connect to the front frame down tube. The lower connection is a horizontal bar, perpendicular to the frame. This is where you place the jackstand. With the bike on the centerstand, lift the front of the bike with a scissor jack then slide a Jackstand under each crash bar.

a02315336f1a0aa20b6e2ea58635e80b.jpg


d4c06d629d44b892fd75c028ec69b251.jpg
What are these SW Motech bars you speak of? I went to their website but can’t see anything that looks like it could be used to lift the weight of the front end- thanks for further clarification-




These bars here



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Those are the bars. There are two points where the bars connect to the front frame down tube. The lower connection is a horizontal bar, perpendicular to the frame. This is where you place the jackstand. With the bike on the centerstand, lift the front of the bike with a scissor jack then slide a Jackstand under each crash bar.

1fbc714dcebddd8307ca57d52ba8d240.jpg


55701938214b8422edc416054d25df4f.jpg

Those are nice! I have something similar, but not quite the same- they are closer to the engine / frame and the bar doesn't seem to be as prominent - I might have to look into replacing them for something like you have!
also my pipes seem to be beneath the frame, if I place a jack under them will the weight of the bike crush the pipes or are they strong enough to handle it?
 
I wouldn't rest a jack under the pipes. Like popgun, I put a piece of wood under the engine, resting on the vertical fins around the oil drain plug, and then use an old car jack to lift the front wheel. I've had both wheels off at the same time with no problems.
 
jdgrego1_imp said:
redbirds_imp said:
dsan1964_imp said:
jdgrego1_imp said:
redbirds_imp said:
If you have the SW Motech bars you can place an auto jackstand under each bar. I do this whenever removing the front wheel and it's rock solid and the bikes weight is supported by the frame.
What are these SW Motech bars you speak of? I went to their website but can’t see anything that looks like it could be used to lift the weight of the front end- thanks for further clarification-
What are these SW Motech bars you speak of? I went to their website but can’t see anything that looks like it could be used to lift the weight of the front end- thanks for further clarification-




These bars here



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What are these SW Motech bars you speak of? I went to their website but can’t see anything that looks like it could be used to lift the weight of the front end- thanks for further clarification-




These bars here



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Those are the bars. There are two points where the bars connect to the front frame down tube. The lower connection is a horizontal bar, perpendicular to the frame. This is where you place the jackstand. With the bike on the centerstand, lift the front of the bike with a scissor jack then slide a Jackstand under each crash bar.

a02315336f1a0aa20b6e2ea58635e80b.jpg


d4c06d629d44b892fd75c028ec69b251.jpg
What are these SW Motech bars you speak of? I went to their website but can’t see anything that looks like it could be used to lift the weight of the front end- thanks for further clarification-




These bars here



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Those are the bars. There are two points where the bars connect to the front frame down tube. The lower connection is a horizontal bar, perpendicular to the frame. This is where you place the jackstand. With the bike on the centerstand, lift the front of the bike with a scissor jack then slide a Jackstand under each crash bar.

1fbc714dcebddd8307ca57d52ba8d240.jpg


55701938214b8422edc416054d25df4f.jpg

Those are nice! I have something similar, but not quite the same- they are closer to the engine / frame and the bar doesn't seem to be as prominent - I might have to look into replacing them for something like you have!
also my pipes seem to be beneath the frame, if I place a jack under them will the weight of the bike crush the pipes or are they strong enough to handle it?
Use a block of wood between the jack and pipes. I generally pull up the front of the bike while my wife places the jackstands.
 
I'll definitely be using the jack stand idea next time I pull the front wheel off....it's a good one.
It's certainly more stable, and, even more importantly, it gives me a reason to use my jack stands that serve almost no other purpose.
 
Back
Top