Tire Options for our CB1100

misterprofessionality_imp said:
Today I got myself a pair of Bridgestone T32 sport touring tires on the glowing recommendation of a forum member. They'll get slapped on tomorrow to replace my balding Avon tires. The compound on the sides of the tire feel appropriately grippy to the touch and the profile is a bit less rounded over than the Avons and Michelin tires I've used before. They're still 120/70 and 160/60 though. I may have a little bit less contact to work with at extreme lean angles but maybe just enough to satisfy the admittedly meager maximum lean of the bike. I don't see a lot of thin runnels for water displacement though, which reminds me of some Dunlop tires I've ridden on....it may be a bad set to ride in the wet.

More to come
misterprofessionality_imp said:
peterbaron_imp said:
Can you provide tread depth, front and rear
Tread depth on the Bridgestone t32 sport touring tire comes to 6.3mm close to the center.
Tread depth on the Bridgestone t32 sport touring tire comes to 6.3mm close to the center.
peterbaron_imp said:
That’s a lot of rubber for a moto tire
https://www.motorcycledaily.com/2022/01/bridgestone-battlax-sport-touring-t32-md-product-review/

I think, you will be very happy with this set :thumbsup:
Will consider them when my Angel GT and Z8 are gone.
 
I understand this is an old thread, however I have recently replaced my Bridgestone T30's for the new T32's, on my CB1100, I did look into the BT46 however they are a straight touring tyre, the T32 are a sport/touring tyre so I went with those and I feel they are a much better tyre, I have kept the standard tyre sizes, 110/80/18 and 140/70/18, I am very happy with Bridgestone and will continue to run them on my CB1100
 
You might like to play with the front preload on that change of tyre. I fitted T31's the predecessor and found the bike turns in much more sharply than the Dunlop's that were fitted, a little too much as it happens.

This allowed me to reclaim some of the compression stroke on the forks by adding some of front preload back and still retain great steering geometry. I don't know about the earlier models but my 2017MY EX blows through 41% of the compression stroke (on the front) with the preload set to the standard setting at Static SAG only (bike only). That is a lot compared to most bikes.

 
I saw another post that the kenda cruiser in our rear size is on sale. (I actually LOVED the handling of the kenda cruisers on my Xj600 secas).

When I check on my bike in the garage it seems I have developed a really slow leak. I have to top it off like every 3 weeks.

Can't find a puncture anywhere and I have changed the valve core.

Thinking about grabbing the kenda to throw on the rear but I'm not huge on having a Metzler on the front and Kenda on the rear since I've always changed at the same time and matched the tire models. (no front tire in our size from kenda AFAIK).

Any feedback on issues or not running different tire models? Hoping I can start riding again soon I'd be taking it easy for a while anyways.

I really wanted to go up a size on the rear but its hard to argue with a $100 tire for the rear right now.



2014 CB1100, 1981 KZ440 LTD, 1993 Yamaha XJ600 Seca, 1994 Yamaha XJ600 Seca
 
mvk24_imp said:
I saw another post that the kenda cruiser in our rear size is on sale. (I actually LOVED the handling of the kenda cruisers on my Xj600 secas).

When I check on my bike in the garage it seems I have developed a really slow leak. I have to top it off like every 3 weeks.

Can't find a puncture anywhere and I have changed the valve core.

Thinking about grabbing the kenda to throw on the rear but I'm not huge on having a Metzler on the front and Kenda on the rear since I've always changed at the same time and matched the tire models. (no front tire in our size from kenda AFAIK).

Any feedback on issues or not running different tire models? Hoping I can start riding again soon I'd be taking it easy for a while anyways.

I really wanted to go up a size on the rear but its hard to argue with a $100 tire for the rear right now.



2014 CB1100, 1981 KZ440 LTD, 1993 Yamaha XJ600 Seca, 1994 Yamaha XJ600 Seca
I'm running a Kenda K671 in back and a Pirelli Angel GT in front, both in stock OEM sizes. Previously it had a Bridgestone T54 on the back, and the original stock Dunlop was still on the front.

Since I never had matching tires, I can't comment as to whether or not it's better. If I could have gotten the Pirellis both in the correct size, or the Kendas both in the correct size, I would have, but that wasnt an option and I needed tires.

I noticed that the bike "turns in" differently than before, but it's not bad, just slightly different,. I'm not sure if the difference is caused by the Pirelli front or Kenda rear. The Pirelli looks more like the Dunlop that it replaced, while the Kenda looks flatter with a more aggressive tread pattern compared to the Bridgestone it replaced.

I noticed the Pirelli GT Angel is on sale this week too. I paid $160 for mine, now they're down to $120.

I think buying fresh well known brands with a warranty in the sizes specified for the bike is a safe bet.

.
 
Bridgestone is offering a rebate on tires:
Bridgestone Rewards
Scroll to the bottom of the page where the qualified Motorcycle tires are listed. Offer applies for tires purchased April 1st thru June 30th. For our Canadian members, select your country on the top, right side of the page.
 
mvk24_imp said:
I saw another post that the kenda cruiser in our rear size is on sale. (I actually LOVED the handling of the kenda cruisers on my Xj600 secas).

When I check on my bike in the garage it seems I have developed a really slow leak. I have to top it off like every 3 weeks.

Can't find a puncture anywhere and I have changed the valve core.

Thinking about grabbing the kenda to throw on the rear but I'm not huge on having a Metzler on the front and Kenda on the rear since I've always changed at the same time and matched the tire models. (no front tire in our size from kenda AFAIK).

Any feedback on issues or not running different tire models? Hoping I can start riding again soon I'd be taking it easy for a while anyways.

I really wanted to go up a size on the rear but its hard to argue with a $100 tire for the rear right now.



2014 CB1100, 1981 KZ440 LTD, 1993 Yamaha XJ600 Seca, 1994 Yamaha XJ600 Seca
I just noticed this part of your post. I haven't actually measured them, but the calibrated eyeball says the K671 rear tire puts nearly an inch more tread on the ground compared to the Bridgestone BT54. The BT54 is more rounded, like a sportbike tire, while the K671 is flatter, which makes sense since it's a crusing tire.

I suspect the difference in "turning in" is most likely because of the flatter, wider contact patch on the Kenda.

If you were thinking about going with a 160 on the back for more contact, the Kenda K671 might actually do what you want but with the 140 width profile.
 
suhawk305_imp said:
Bridgestone is offering a rebate on tires:
Bridgestone Rewards
Scroll to the bottom of the page where the qualified Motorcycle tires are listed. Offer applies for tires purchased April 1st thru June 30th. For our Canadian members, select your country on the top, right side of the page.
Thanks suhawk.

Just got the Bridgestone notification in my email inbox.
 
Yata-Garasu_imp said:
mvk24_imp said:
I saw another post that the kenda cruiser in our rear size is on sale. (I actually LOVED the handling of the kenda cruisers on my Xj600 secas).

When I check on my bike in the garage it seems I have developed a really slow leak. I have to top it off like every 3 weeks.

Can't find a puncture anywhere and I have changed the valve core.

Thinking about grabbing the kenda to throw on the rear but I'm not huge on having a Metzler on the front and Kenda on the rear since I've always changed at the same time and matched the tire models. (no front tire in our size from kenda AFAIK).

Any feedback on issues or not running different tire models? Hoping I can start riding again soon I'd be taking it easy for a while anyways.

I really wanted to go up a size on the rear but its hard to argue with a $100 tire for the rear right now.



2014 CB1100, 1981 KZ440 LTD, 1993 Yamaha XJ600 Seca, 1994 Yamaha XJ600 Seca
I just noticed this part of your post. I haven't actually measured them, but the calibrated eyeball says the K671 rear tire puts nearly an inch more tread on the ground compared to the Bridgestone BT54. The BT54 is more rounded, like a sportbike tire, while the K671 is flatter, which makes sense since it's a crusing tire.

I suspect the difference in "turning in" is most likely because of the flatter, wider contact patch on the Kenda.

If you were thinking about going with a 160 on the back for more contact, the Kenda K671 might actually do what you want but with the 140 width profile.
I just noticed this part of your post. I haven't actually measured them, but the calibrated eyeball says the K671 rear tire puts nearly an inch more tread on the ground compared to the Bridgestone BT54. The BT54 is more rounded, like a sportbike tire, while the K671 is flatter, which makes sense since it's a crusing tire.

I suspect the difference in "turning in" is most likely because of the flatter, wider contact patch on the Kenda.

If you were thinking about going with a 160 on the back for more contact, the Kenda K671 might actually do what you want but with the 140 width profile. O wow okay awesome. Thanks for that information I never would have known that.



2014 CB1100, 1981 KZ440 LTD, 1993 Yamaha XJ600 Seca, 1994 Yamaha XJ600 Seca
 
m in sc_imp said:
I'm all for modifying stuff, but a larger tire will usually result in less contact area where it actually counts by it being 'pinched' in on the rim moreso than a 'stock' size designated for that rim width. want to run wider tires? get a wider rim.
Normally I'd agree but it seems pretty common around here to run the 160 on the rear with nobody really noticing any difference as far as I've seen at least.

I havent taken the cb on a track in years.

2014 CB1100, 1981 KZ440 LTD, 1993 Yamaha XJ600 Seca, 1994 Yamaha XJ600 Seca
 
The rear rim will technically accommodate a 160 tire, unlike the front one. It will take 120 in the front but its rim is out of spec/ too thin for a 120.
My 2013 had PR3, 120/160
My present 2014 std has 110/160 and my DLX has 110/140 combination.
 
The time is nigh for me to get a new rear tire. The limited options have me leaning toward one of the 160 choices I see from others, and my mix of interstate commuting and backroad curves make me want a dual-compound tire.

That brings me to my question: Are y'all with the 160 rear tire still running them with a tube? I have the OEM spoked wheels with tubes, and I don't think I can put a tube inside a tubeless tire, especially when it's 20mm wider than OEM, and have normal performance from the tire. Feedback/thoughts/observations?
 
Our Canadian member, Alain Lee has converted his tube rims to tubeless, and if I recall correctly, he runs OEM sizes 110/140 tubeless tires on his mighty red 2017 EX with sophisticated plane like cockpit.
:biker:
 
To follow up on what Peter said I believe there was a write up here on the forum on how to convert the spokes wheels to tubeless. It was a pretty simple process as far as I remember if you can get the tire off the rim.

I have the mag wheels so I'm tubeless from the factory.

2014 CB1100, 1981 KZ440 LTD, 1993 Yamaha XJ600 Seca, 1994 Yamaha XJ600 Seca
 
For sure there were some write ups if not threads with some feedbacks from different members and countries using different materials/technics and kits.
 
peterbaron_imp said:
For sure there were some write ups if not threads with some feedbacks from different members and countries using different materials/technics and kits.
Thanks, all. I found a few threads that did not seem to be relevant judging by the names, but after this encouragement I started in-depth reading and found some posts linking to relevant threads. Looks like converting is my best way forward.
 
TooSlo_imp said:
peterbaron_imp said:
For sure there were some write ups if not threads with some feedbacks from different members and countries using different materials/technics and kits.
Thanks, all. I found a few threads that did not seem to be relevant judging by the names, but after this encouragement I started in-depth reading and found some posts linking to relevant threads. Looks like converting is my best way forward.
Thanks, all. I found a few threads that did not seem to be relevant judging by the names, but after this encouragement I started in-depth reading and found some posts linking to relevant threads. Looks like converting is my best way forward. Glad you found some info you needed. It i had spoked wheels i would be converting to tubeless as well.

Rather do a plug on the side of the road than patch a tube.

2014 CB1100, 1981 KZ440 LTD, 1993 Yamaha XJ600 Seca, 1994 Yamaha XJ600 Seca
 
peterbaron_imp said:
Our Canadian member, Alain Lee has converted his tube rims to tubeless, and if I recall correctly, he runs OEM sizes 110/140 tubeless tires on his mighty red 2017 EX with sophisticated plane like cockpit.
:biker:
Alain Lee and I run the Outex Kit (tubeless conversions) on both front and rear tires. I am going on three years now, Alain many more years and a few more day long treks. No problems to date.
 
Back
Top