Tire Options for our CB1100

EBMac_imp said:
I just put Metzeler Z8s on my 2014. Took the long, twisty way home from the tire shop and I like how they feel. The bike rolls in and out of the lean very smoothly. Look forward to being a little more assertive after they wear in a bit and I get used to them.
I'm also running Z8's, similar experience that the bike rolls in smoothly.

Their marketing gives me an eye-roll though. If you look closely, you can see the Pi symbol (as in, "pi are square"). Mr. Metzeler tells me this is for efficient water evacuation. Lol.
 
Z8's is a sport-touring tires, Roadtec-01 would last longer...but it's a rider's choice.
Be happy with what you have :thumbsup:
 
I don’t want tires with Greek letters. I want my tires to have Nordic runes :P But you know, for water evacuation :rolleyes:
 
Hey guys, haven't been on much since I posted the oil filter cross reference thread sorry. It's about that time and I have 14kmiles on my cb since I got it "new-left" over in June of 2018. (10k of which being the first season :)) My buddy at the shop said those tires aren't passing inspection and it's time. Those stock Bridgestone battalax BT-45s held up great. I enjoy the curvy road and haven't had feeler gauges for quite awhile.. however I've done alot of touring with this bike and I'm planning either a traditional cross country next season or seriously considering the ride from NY to the Dalton Highway up to Dark Horse out of Alaska. (I assume I'll be the first CB to ride that).

Leading me to figure out tire considerations, there's alot of pages here about street tires. I'm thinking about just going with the BT45s again since they treated me well the first time. Although my buddy at the shop said I should go with a stickier tire for how aggressive I can get with the bike when local but not sure if a sport tire is neccesary.

However, if I do the Dalton Highway out of Fairbanks I need to switch to dirt tires before I leave Fairbanks and that's a whole new discussion. Has anyone done any sort of a scrambler build or for some reason used dirt tires on our CB that knows of a tire that will work on my bike for such purposes?

I'll also have to replace front rotors while I'm doing tires, guess we are still limited in rotor options correct?

Hope everyone has had a nice Holiday and new year!
 
At least one member has put offroad tires on his bike. I can’t remember who, but he did post pics somewhere.
 
Any experiences with the Shinko Tourmaster 230's?

I know some people will jump on here and bash Shinko but I myself haven't had any bad experiences with them
 
mvk24, I suspect your original tyres were the OEM BT54s. They’re a radial tyre. The BT45 is cross ply and, although a fine tyre, not OEM.

E1100_hunnit, Chuckk is a Shinko fan.
 
Tyre choice for Honda CB1100 EX 2017 18 " spoke wheels.
I was looking for new tyres and contacted Dunlop UK because the OEM Dunlop 205 wasn't available on the website. They told me no stock and 205 was taken out of the 2020 Dunlop catalog. However they confirmed that the Roadsmart III can be used with tube on a spoke wheel as long as the tube is approved to be used with tubeless tyre by its manufacturer. That last bit us a bit confusing.
Also I have contacted Bridgestone UK and they confirmed that Batlax T31 can be used with tubes. No condition here.
I have been told Avon make our size as well.
I think to try T31.
Hope this information helps.
Cheers
Iv
 
Ok, gonna just go ahead and admit it now. I'm running the OEM BT54 tires on my '13. Go ahead and start telling me about safety in 1...2...3...
Now that that's over, I've been reading this whole long hairy thread.

My tires are still in fine shape and have plenty of tread. 99% of my commute is on a straight freeway to get to and from work. I don't have time to go have fun in the twisties anywhere near me. So, I haven't really worried about getting new tires. But, once I get some money saved up mid-year, I'd like to replace them for peace of mind.

My priority is mileage. Straight line mileage. Handling isn't a main priority. The Michelin PR3 is no more, and there are a few other viable alternatives. Looking at reviews of the Metzler Z8, looks like a good contender. Pirelli Sport Demons don't look like have a ton of mileage. I could replace the BT54s as well, I guess.

Will be looking for a solution with this priority down the road.
 
They don't have a problem with safety as far as I'm concerned, other than their being as old as the bike. Heck, they're rock hard by now, so they may never wear out!
PR3s are no longer available from the places I buy my tires, and I don't want tires that are just a few years newer than what I have now.
 
Yep, I keep using BT54's on my CB with no issue, though the fronts do tend to wear more quickly than the rears (4000 miles vs. 8000 miles). They're inexpensive to replace -- less than $190/set if you shop wisely -- so for me, they're a good value, and on the CB, they work perfectly fine. Chaparral and Dennis Kirk seem to have good prices.

If the T31's were available in the US in the OE sizes, I'd certainly be eager to try them. I have a set of T30's on my F800GT and have been very impressed with their grip and longevity (but that bike is over 100 lbs lighter than the CB).
 
8K on a rear ain't bad... I see the PR3s on final clearance at Bike Bandit in 120 front/160 rear but can't spend the money for a few months, and might be out by then.
 
Back
Top