Tire Options for our CB1100

Thanks for the info. Ulvetanna. Especially the comments about the potentially short lifespan and their lack of wet weather capabilities. They sound perfect for those that use the bike exclusively (or nearly so) on technical roads in dry weather conditions.
 
EmptySea_imp said:
Thanks for the info. Ulvetanna. Especially the comments about the potentially short lifespan and their lack of wet weather capabilities. They sound perfect for those that use the bike exclusively (or nearly so) on technical roads in dry weather conditions.
You said it.
 
Do they not offer the stock size in the Michelin PR3 tires for the rear? It's time to replace the rear on my bike by the time winter comes around, so I'm shopping now.
 
linuxology_imp said:
Do they not offer the stock size in the Michelin PR3 tires for the rear? It's time to replace the rear on my bike by the time winter comes around, so I'm shopping now.
Nope. The closest is a 160/60-18. I like sticking with stock sizes on replacement tires, but with the CB1100 that leaves you with very few options. That said, I bit the bullet and went with the wider PR3 rear tire (after letting many other members be the guinea pigs) and I like it just fine.
 
Sport Demons were grand! got about 6k miles out of them. front could keep on, but I like to change both. Going with BT-45 or Avon Roadriders this time. Can't make up my mind which. Any thoughts? Definitely prefer bias tires on this bike over the radials that came on it. Radial tires were invented so side walls could be short and tires could be wide. These tires are 110/80 and 140/70 the natural shape of a bias tire. Just makes sense.
 
Do you guys in the US get the Dunlop Road Smart 3?

I've been running them for a while and they are outstanding. Never a squirm, even on the winter grime. In the dry they feel great.
Avail. in Std size too...
 
A quick Google search shows we CAN get them in the US. I didn't look at any sizing though.
 
don't think they come in our size here. the metzler z8 interact is the only non-oem radial option i've found here in the US. But like I said, why have a radial with tall sidewalls? And pay more for it?
 
I've got a set of BT45 tires on my CB. I've only got a couple thousand miles on them but so far they seem just as good as the two sets of radials I had in the past.
 
good to hear. photos of the BT45 on the internet make it look like it has a really flat profile. how is the profile actually? the avon's on the other hand look really pointy... I don't want pointy on this bike.
 
The profile of the BT45s looks very similar to the OEM Dunlops and OEM Bridgestones. The response to countersteering is smooth and linear both going into curves and coming out. I don't have any sense of "falling off a cliff" going into turns. The bottom line is I don't have any regrets so far. I hope that answers your question.
 
jimgl353_imp said:
good to hear. photos of the BT45 on the internet make it look like it has a really flat profile. how is the profile actually? the avon's on the other hand look really pointy... I don't want pointy on this bike.
I use the BT-45 exclusively on my CB750 (similar size/weight). I'm on my fourth set. It's got a more traditional profile. Not racy at all.

They're plenty sticky for twisty roads, but I most love that I get about 10K miles out of a rear and about 12.5K from the front.
 
The ferret_imp said:
If my knee ever hits the ground while riding any motorcycle, someone please call for an ambulance as I have just gone down.
Switch to sport bikes. I've scraped my knee, and I wasn't wearing a slider! They're made to lean over!

A bike like the CB, I've put a knee out, but that bike kinda pulls you out (I'm still getting used to the higher center of gravity, though). I'm hoping a bit of weight reduction and some new tires will help! I don't need it to replace my Gixxer, but I'd like a little tighter corners. I might do a little suspension work later, but I need to talk to somebody who knows a lot more about it than I do.

My two cents on the tire debate are that I've been on multiple sport bikes with Pilot 4s on them and I ride in the rain. I absolutely hate the factory tires on the CB1100 (despite loving the bike itself). I put 1,200 miles on my bike last month - if I hit painted sections on the road after it's been raining, it scares the he** out of me (back end slides away). Me and a buddy spent most of tonight talking tires. I'm leaning towards Michelin as my 'go to', but my buddy showed me Metzeler Road Attacks that look like they might work (shout out if you have any experience)

That said, I probably have different requirements as a dude who rides year-round in the PAC NW. The factory tires are alright if you take the 'wet' requirement away (I'm adding mileage to them quickly and they seem to be holding up).
 
I'm not sure what Michelin options there will be given that the PR3 has apparently been discontinued. The 18" wheels dramatically reduce the number of tyre options.

Pterodactyl has moved the Pirelli Angel GTs which, like the PR3, has an oversized rear. He's been happy with them, although they don't last in the way the PR3s seem to.
 
Back
Top