Tire inflator, compressor: questions...

Slime has a decent reputation, good choice. Get a good tire gauge also, and use it. I've grown accustomed to the digital ones but carry an old school "sliding stick" under the seat. No compressor with me so I don't know why I carry the gauge.

For a very long extension cord to your outdoor shed go to an industrial supply house (or online) and get a 10/3 cord in 100 ft.

Old buddy is a tire engineer for Goodyear, he is the reason I check air pressure in all of our vehicles religiously. Amazing how much longer the tires last when properly inflated.

Ural comes with a hand pump as part of it's tool kit - extensive kit that uses only the highest quality imitation Russian steel.
 
Thread starter
4 Paws_imp said:
Slime has a decent reputation, good choice. Get a good tire gauge also, and use it. I've grown accustomed to the digital ones but carry an old school "sliding stick" under the seat. No compressor with me so I don't know why I carry the gauge.

For a very long extension cord to your outdoor shed go to an industrial supply house (or online) and get a 10/3 cord in 100 ft.

Old buddy is a tire engineer for Goodyear, he is the reason I check air pressure in all of our vehicles religiously. Amazing how much longer the tires last when properly inflated.

Ural comes with a hand pump as part of it's tool kit - extensive kit that uses only the highest quality imitation Russian steel.
Ural sounds top notch...

And yes, I have a digital tire gauge.
 
Thread starter
My Slime rechargeable compressor came in the mail today... Got the thing plugged in and charging now. Will check and adjust my girls' tire pressure tomorrow.
 
Thread starter
Checked tire psi: In 3 weeks the front lost 4.0 psi. The rear lost 6.4 psi. Seems a bit high, although the bike (and tires) are still in a period of break-in, so it's possible that will slow some.

Got my new rechargeable compressor yesterday and used it for the first time. Also, the first time trying to adjust the psi on my new CB1100. The compressor has a lot of pumping power but I had a very difficult time uncoupling the nozzle from the valve stem on the front wheel. This resulted in a big loss of tire pressure before getting the dang thing off. I had to re-try 4 times before I was able to get the thing off quickly enough to not drain the front tire below the recommended 36 psi. PHEW! I had to develop a bit of a knack for getting it uncoupled 'fast'. During this pump fest, I filled the front to close to 40 psi knowing I was going to lose air...

The rear went a bit better - I had more room to work, and by then I knew enough to do a slight over-fill to make up for loss on coupling removal.

It was a Chore, to say the least.

Final result: F 36 psi, R 42.5 psi
 
All bikes should come with those wonderful nozzles with a 90º bend.
 
For all my bikes I pick up a set of 83 degree 11.3 mm Gen 2 angled valve stems from Kurveygirl.com They run about $30. I have a set in my toolbox now ready to go on the next time I get tires (sometime this spring I suppose). Makes checking and adding air sooo much easier.
 
Quietguy,

Seems like the (stock, at least) tires leak when new, then settle down to a pretty reasonable loss rate. Mine did.
 
Pauley_imp said:
Flynrider_imp said:
EmptySea_imp said:
Pete Erickson_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
That is what I use and I have power in my garage. It only takes a few pumps to top the tires off.
That is what I use and I have power in my garage. It only takes a few pumps to top the tires off.
+1. Bought a compressor and found that it's way easier to use a good bicycle pump like this one. Plus, a bike much more neighborly when filling tires per-dawn. I'm still going to purchase a portable electric pump for the road.
I bought this one.

Amazon.com

Fits under the seat and can be powered directly from the battery.
I bought this one.

Amazon.com

Fits under the seat and can be powered directly from the battery.
That's the same one I carry around in my tail bag. I tested it in the garage once, but have not used it "for real" yet.
I bought this one.

Amazon.com

Fits under the seat and can be powered directly from the battery.
That's the same one I carry around in my tail bag. I tested it in the garage once, but have not used it "for real" yet. Now that you have it along with a tire plug kit in your tail bag, chances are you'll never need it. Now if you didn't have it...
 
BTW popgun, if you don't already have the 83 degree stems on your ST you really NEED a set of them, especially for the rear tire.
 
Cormanus' pid='118561' dateline='1452503814 said:
All bikes should come with those wonderful nozzles with a 90º bend.
[/quote

You know, with the difficulty in filling most motorcycle tires, I am surprised all manufacturers don't put those 90 degree valve stems on their wheels. I mean how much more could it cost? Do you think there are any safety concerns?
 
The ferret_imp said:
BTW popgun, if you don't already have the 83 degree stems on your ST you really NEED a set of them, especially for the rear tire.
I need to find some of those, as you are right, I NEED THEM!
 
capttwb136_imp said:
Cormanus' pid='118561' dateline='1452503814 said:
All bikes should come with those wonderful nozzles with a 90º bend.
[/quote

You know, with the difficulty in filling most motorcycle tires, I am surprised all manufacturers don't put those 90 degree valve stems on their wheels. I mean how much more could it cost? Do you think there are any safety concerns?
Safety depends on the stem. Centrifugal force has been known to rip some of the larger ones from the rim. Honda put on special holders for the tip on the ones on their Goldwings at one time. I think the new ones are much smaller and so that is no longer a concern. I have 60,000 miles on a set on my ST no issues at all. The ones I use are the 83 degree stems from KurveyGirl.
 
KurveyGirls look nice. At $29.99 they ought to :)
 
I actually bought a set you can screw on the the existing valve stems. I thought I'd just attach them when needed, but I found I lost air when I took them off. I seem to have mastered getting the hose on at most petrol stations so I don't worry about them any more. Should get the angled ones put on next time I get tyres.
 
Thread starter
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Quietguy,

Seems like the (stock, at least) tires leak when new, then settle down to a pretty reasonable loss rate. Mine did.
Thanks, popgun... I think most tire mountings are rather abrieviated - Mount, fill once with air, balance and wham, done.

I think done properly, after mounting, the tire should be filled then allowed to deflate some, then refilled and checked - this may ensure a good fitting of the tire bead.

Anyway, I'm certain the tires, after 270 miles have set onto the bead properly and should settle down some on air loss.

Thanks again for all the info and suggestions fellas.

As these are new tires, it will be awhile before I'm buying new tires. But when I do, I'll get a set of angled valve stems for sure.

... quietguy
 
Back
Top