Tire inflator, compressor: questions...

quietguy_imp

Been there
Thread starter
I've had an inexpensive, Walmart-type tire inflator, one with the 12 foot, 12 volt accessory wires and hookup.

It works on my motorcycles, albeit slowly. Part of my issue with it is the fairly short power cord - I have to pull my m/c relatively close to my car to be able to reach the tires. Just not comfortable being close, and it's not what I would call a convenient affair.

I have no electrical outlets anywhere near to my storage building, where my bike is housed, so a 110 unit is not practical. And due to the very short power cord on the little 12 volt unit I have forces me to move my bike outside and next to the car - again, a pain. :blush:

So, I guess my first question is - are there "extension cords" available to provide a lot longer "reach" from car to storage building? If not, is there a portable compressor available with a long power cord somewhere? A 60 foot stretch would be good.

Next; Is there a self-contained inflator available, one that may be rechargeable, that would allow me to adjust inflation while the bike is in the storage building?

Any information or suggestions would be helpful - thanks in advance.

... quietguy
 
Try putting a fused (with the right fuse rating) SAE connector direct to your motorcycle battery and run the inflator off that. If you're just topping off a psi or 2, it shouldn't take much juice out of the battery. Those little 12 V inflators don't take much power.
 
Pete Erickson_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
That is what I use and I have power in my garage. It only takes a few pumps to top the tires off.
That is what I use and I have power in my garage. It only takes a few pumps to top the tires off.
+1. Bought a compressor and found that it's way easier to use a good bicycle pump like this one. Plus, a bike much more neighborly when filling tires per-dawn. I'm still going to purchase a portable electric pump for the road.
 
EmptySea_imp said:
Pete Erickson_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
That is what I use and I have power in my garage. It only takes a few pumps to top the tires off.
That is what I use and I have power in my garage. It only takes a few pumps to top the tires off.
+1. Bought a compressor and found that it's way easier to use a good bicycle pump like this one. Plus, a bike much more neighborly when filling tires per-dawn. I'm still going to purchase a portable electric pump for the road.
I bought this one.

Amazon.com

Fits under the seat and can be powered directly from the battery.
 
Flynrider_imp said:
EmptySea_imp said:
Pete Erickson_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
That is what I use and I have power in my garage. It only takes a few pumps to top the tires off.
That is what I use and I have power in my garage. It only takes a few pumps to top the tires off.
+1. Bought a compressor and found that it's way easier to use a good bicycle pump like this one. Plus, a bike much more neighborly when filling tires per-dawn. I'm still going to purchase a portable electric pump for the road.
I bought this one.

Amazon.com

Fits under the seat and can be powered directly from the battery.
I bought this one.

Amazon.com

Fits under the seat and can be powered directly from the battery.
That's the same one I carry around in my tail bag. I tested it in the garage once, but have not used it "for real" yet.
 
EmptySea_imp said:
Pete Erickson_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
That is what I use and I have power in my garage. It only takes a few pumps to top the tires off.
That is what I use and I have power in my garage. It only takes a few pumps to top the tires off.
+1. Bought a compressor and found that it's way easier to use a good bicycle pump like this one. Plus, a bike much more neighborly when filling tires per-dawn. I'm still going to purchase a portable electric pump for the road.
That is what I use and I have power in my garage. It only takes a few pumps to top the tires off.
+1. Bought a compressor and found that it's way easier to use a good bicycle pump like this one. Plus, a bike pump is much more neighborly when filling tires per-dawn. I'm still going to purchase a portable electric pump for the road.
 
quietguy_imp said:
That's a way cool pump, Cormanus... I like it.

Now, tell me if you would, what exactly is a "bloke"?
QuietGuy, I think you would call a 'bloke' a 'guy'. I'm afraid I'm resolutely Antipodean.
 
Thread starter
Cormanus_imp said:
quietguy_imp said:
That's a way cool pump, Cormanus... I like it.

Now, tell me if you would, what exactly is a "bloke"?
QuietGuy, I think you would call a 'bloke' a 'guy'. I'm afraid I'm resolutely Antipodean.
QuietGuy, I think you would call a 'bloke' a 'guy'. I'm afraid I'm resolutely Antipodean.
I was joking with you, Cormanus... I know what a "bloke" is, my friend.

Sorry... didn't mean to throw you off kilter.
One acronym I don't know is; "MTC"

.
 
No worries, QG.
 
Back
Top