Time to Make A Decision - Need Advice

IMO, ABS is the same as seatbelts on cars. They were once optional, but now very few people would consider driving without them now. If a technology exists that substantially improves your safety, why wouldn't you exploit it? Its only a 10% bump in price..if it saves you from just one minor accident, it paid for itself.
 
The ABS debate is not a new one. In less than ideal conditions you are better off with ABS. A skidding motorcycle, is an out of control motorcycle. In ideal conditions you can probably stop quicker without ABS. Clearly states in the owners manual it may actually take longer to stop with ABS in some conditions.

Regardless from 60 mph, if it takes 160 feet to stop without abs and 155 feet to stop with ABS if some one pulls out in front of you 145 feet away, you are going to hit them with either set up.Don't ask me how I know.

Defensive driving, experience and situational awareness is far more important than relying on mechanical systems to save your bacon.
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
The ABS debate is not a new one. In less than ideal conditions you are better off with ABS. A skidding motorcycle, is an out of control motorcycle. In ideal conditions you can probably stop quicker without ABS. Clearly states in the owners manual it may actually take longer to stop with ABS in some conditions.

Regardless from 60 mph, if it takes 160 feet to stop without abs and 155 feet to stop with ABS if some one pulls out in front of you 145 feet away, you are going to hit them with either set up.Don't ask me how I know.

Defensive driving, experience and situational awareness is far more important than relying on mechanical systems to save your bacon.
I wonder how many riders actually have the talent to threshold break better than the ABS system. The thing I find interesting about ABS is the ability to go right to full breaking without needing to modulate the brakes. I doubt I could stop the bike faster than the ABS system in an emergency situation. I think I'm talking myself into ABS. LOL
 
We don't get to choose when a small patch of sand or oil decides to stretch itself across the entire road. That coupled with the dual front disks and the skinny front tire patch made ABS a complete 'must have' for me..

As far as being 'a better rider than ABS'.. I've read anecdotes from too many high-caliber road/track racers who've said that ABS saved their hide on the road (not during a race) and they would not have stayed upright without it, ABS is 'better' than they are (their words)..
Of course we don't read the anecdotes from those that didn't have ABS and didn't make it out the other side because their voices have been permanently silenced.

I've only had to really panic brake once.. Happily, it was on my non-ABS BlackBird with linked brakes. A lot of people complain about how they don't like linked brakes taking away the independent control that they are used to having.. but in my one instance, having stopped just inches from a cars bumper coming down from freeway speed... feeling the bike 'hunker down' via the brake load balancing of the linked braking system, I knew that that device saved my hide and left me free to ride away from a non-incident.

It's the kind of progress that I'll gladly take advantage of.
 
ABS is optional from dealers. So in my opinion it's a very "optional" addition to a motorcycle.

But let's get back to helping him choose between the bikes the OP mentioned. I'm very curious to hear others comments. Unless I over looked a post and he decided on the CB and now trying to decide on the ABS....
 
Thread starter
buck80mph_imp said:
ABS is optional from dealers. So in my opinion it's a very "optional" addition to a motorcycle.

But let's get back to helping him choose between the bikes the OP mentioned. I'm very curious to hear others comments. Unless I over looked a post and he decided on the CB and now trying to decide on the ABS....
I'm still undecided on which bike. Its really down to a CB1100 vs. ZRX1200. I'm really having a hard time deciding.
 
Buck80 ...the OP did ask about ABS and whether it was a good idea in his first post in this thread.

I would never discourage someone from getting ABS. But want people to realize its a tool that CAN help you, but is one that is not necessarily GOING to help you. It will help you in a given set of circumstances. It is a tool in your staying safe toolbox, just like experience, good gear and continued rider education.

If he decides he must have ABS then he must choose the CB as I don't believe it was available on the ZRX.
 
I have owned a ZRX1200, 07 Bonnie and now ride the CB11. I mistakenly sold my ZRX when I fell in lust with a ZX12. The ZX proved challenging to keep running reliably. Sold that, and got the CB. If the DAEG was available in the US I would purchase a brand new one.

Back to the question. The CB is a great all around bike. I was torn between the R1 and the CB, I went with the CB because I have a teenage son who will be getting his learners permit next month. He seems more level headed than I was at his age, but you never know.
 
Thread starter
INTP_imp said:
I have owned a ZRX1200, 07 Bonnie and now ride the CB11. I mistakenly sold my ZRX when I fell in lust with a ZX12. The ZX proved challenging to keep running reliably. Sold that, and got the CB. If the DAEG was available in the US I would purchase a brand new one.

Back to the question. The CB is a great all around bike. I was torn between the R1 and the CB, I went with the CB because I have a teenage son who will be getting his learners permit next month. He seems more level headed than I was at his age, but you never know.
Wow! An R1 vs CB1100! I thought I was struggling with apples and oranges! I definitely think you made the right decision. The thought of a new rider on an R1 is a scary thought. The R1 causes 0-Stupid faster than most. LOL! Thanks for your input.
 
greg9ball_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
The ABS debate is not a new one. In less than ideal conditions you are better off with ABS. A skidding motorcycle, is an out of control motorcycle. In ideal conditions you can probably stop quicker without ABS. Clearly states in the owners manual it may actually take longer to stop with ABS in some conditions.

Regardless from 60 mph, if it takes 160 feet to stop without abs and 155 feet to stop with ABS if some one pulls out in front of you 145 feet away, you are going to hit them with either set up.Don't ask me how I know.

Defensive driving, experience and situational awareness is far more important than relying on mechanical systems to save your bacon.
I wonder how many riders actually have the talent to threshold break better than the ABS system. The thing I find interesting about ABS is the ability to go right to full breaking without needing to modulate the brakes. I doubt I could stop the bike faster than the ABS system in an emergency situation. I think I'm talking myself into ABS. LOL
.0002%. Unless you're a top-echelon racer, you'll never come close to braking as effectively as an ABS system, on a bike or in a car. Even track bikes are equipped with it these days.

I have to admit it does clutter up the front wheel of the bike, but it looks better than a wrecked bike.
 
greg9ball_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
The ABS debate is not a new one. In less than ideal conditions you are better off with ABS. A skidding motorcycle, is an out of control motorcycle. In ideal conditions you can probably stop quicker without ABS. Clearly states in the owners manual it may actually take longer to stop with ABS in some conditions.

Regardless from 60 mph, if it takes 160 feet to stop without abs and 155 feet to stop with ABS if some one pulls out in front of you 145 feet away, you are going to hit them with either set up.Don't ask me how I know.

Defensive driving, experience and situational awareness is far more important than relying on mechanical systems to save your bacon.
I wonder how many riders actually have the talent to threshold break better than the ABS system. The thing I find interesting about ABS is the ability to go right to full breaking without needing to modulate the brakes. I doubt I could stop the bike faster than the ABS system in an emergency situation. I think I'm talking myself into ABS. LOL
.0002%. Unless you're a top-echelon racer, you'll never come close to braking as effectively as an ABS system, on a bike or in a car. Even track bikes are equipped with it these days.
 
ABS/Combined Braking — it is what it is. If you have it and your happy with it then great. If you don't and your happy, then that's great too. It's nice that Honda gave us the choice to choose as we wish. The OP has the same options available to him, and there is a plethora of info out there on the web regarding these technologies, so lets try to not get too off track here one this particular subject.

Thanks
 
I bought the one with abs and I am very happy with the brakes on the bike.Years ago brakes were not very powerful and you really needed a strong hand to get the brakes locking up (Honda CBX).Now with the much more powerful brakes it is very easy to lock the wheels.On my RC 51 I dropped the bike once because of a panic stop and the brakes locked up.with abs I would have saved the bike and my pride.In NC we have many tourist whom look every were except were they should be looking and at 63 my reflexes are not as good as when I was younger.I do admit the front looks nicer without the abs parts on it but for me safety comes first.
 
Thread starter
Hi Guys,

I want to thank you very much for your time and your advice. I went and sat on the CB1100 on Saturday. It did not get the chance to ride it. I really liked the look of the bike and it does pull at my heart strings. I have decided to go with a ZRX1200r. I found one that really does it for me. I do not doubt that a CB1100 will show up in my stable at some point.

Thanks again!

Greg
 
greg9ball_imp said:
Hi Guys,

I want to thank you very much for your time and your advice. I went and sat on the CB1100 on Saturday. It did not get the chance to ride it. I really liked the look of the bike and it does pull at my heart strings. I have decided to go with a ZRX1200r. I found one that really does it for me. I do not doubt that a CB1100 will show up in my stable at some point.

Thanks again!

Greg
Nice! With the bikes already in your stable; I feel as though that is the right choice.
 
With so many good bikes to choose from you did good to narrow your choices down so fas and able to pull the trigger so fast. Well done! :worship:
 
Back
Top