Time to Make A Decision - Need Advice

greg9ball_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
I've been a voyeur on this forum for the past month or two as I've been researching the CB1100. I'm SO close to pulling the trigger! I've decided I want to get something to replace my 2001 Triumph Bonneville. I want something that will give me the classic standard riding feel I get from the Bonnie, but with more power and better brakes and handling. It's come down to the ZRX1200 vs. CB1100.

I really love everything about the CB1100. The sole reason for my hesitation is the lack of power on the CB1100. The 88HP scares me a bit. I'm worried that I'll be wishing for more. I certainly do with the Bonnie. If the CB1100 had 100+ HP, it would already be in my garage!

I really like the look and performance of the Kawasaki ZRX1200, however, I'm worried it will be too much like my 02 Yamaha FZ-1. I think it may be a totally different animal than the Bonnie. There do not seem to be a whole lot of choices for what I'm looking for. The Moto Guzzi Griso interests me; however, I'm not crazy about wide position of the legs. I had a 09 VMAX for a while and that was something I didn't like about it (that and not being able to ride it without risking life and license).

So it looks highly likely that I'll end up with a CB1100. The bike really speaks to me! So ... the big question I have is:

Should I get the bike with or without ABS. My local dealer has one in stock without ABS (still in crate). He can certainly locate an ABS model for me, but would clearly prefer to sell the one he has in stock. He's telling me that ABS is not an important option on this bike. I would like opinions on ABS vs. Non ABS. It seems to me that it would be an excellent option.

Also, there are 97! Honda CB1100's listed on Cycle Trader within 400 miles of me. Given that it is this late in the season and there are so many available, what kind of price do you think I should be able to negotiate? Should I wait until after the season to get a better deal?

I appreciate all input.

Thanks,

Greg
 
For me, I would never need abs on a dry clean road. I am comfortable with my emergency braking and have had to use it with a safe ending. I opted for non abs because I don't like the idea of the combined aspect taking away some specific control that I like to have, plus I don't trust computers. I am a control freak :)

However, if I ever found myself on a wet road, slippery or sandy road, I'm afraid an emergency situation would result in me crashing without the abs. I see the CB1100 as an every day bike, and you might end up in less than perfect conditions, and for that the extra money for abs is worth not crashing.

Hope this helps, and good luck on the purchase.
 
If you find yourself wanting more power while riding your Bonnie you will want more power while riding the CB also. However, the CB is a good bit faster than the Bonnie. The ZRX is a different ride than the FZ1. While the FZ1 makes it's HP high in the revs like it's alter ego R1. The ZRX feels torquier at lower rpm's and if I remember correctly it doesn't rev as high. The FZ1 is a modern Naked bike and the ZRX is a retro muscle bike in my opinion. The CB can easily be converted into a light tourer. Look at Jamboa's CB in the modification threads. Actually four of the bikes you mentioned can tour in comfort. With the V-Max not being one of them. If the power is a key factor in your decision and you can only own one bike (like me). I'm not sure if you will be satisfied with the CB.
I'd go with the ZRX.
 
I like ABS, but opted for the non-abs model for two reasons 1.) I'll only be using the bike on nice sunny days and the standard brakes are great in the dry. 2.) Was too cheap to pay the extra $1k. Not a good reason not to get it I suppose, but there you are.

Regarding the power, after adding a Staintune muffler, which I feel really does wake the motor up a good bit (Staintune claims an extra 6hp), I think the bike has more than enough power to the point that you could call it a fast bike rather than just adequately fast. It should feel like a rocket ship after your Bonneville. Another plus over a ZRX is that everything will be new rather than used, with all that entails. I think all the ZRX's were carburated, so F.I. is another nice plus on the CB.

Good luck whatever you decide.
 
Thread starter
buck80mph_imp said:
If you find yourself wanting more power while riding your Bonnie you will want more power while riding the CB also. However, the CB is a good bit faster than the Bonnie. The ZRX is a different ride than the FZ1. While the FZ1 makes it's HP high in the revs like it's alter ego R1. The ZRX feels torquier at lower rpm's and if I remember correctly it doesn't rev as high. The FZ1 is a modern Naked bike and the ZRX is a retro muscle bike in my opinion. The CB can easily be converted into a light tourer. Look at Jamboa's CB in the modification threads. Actually four of the bikes you mentioned can tour in comfort. With the V-Max not being one of them. If the power is a key factor in your decision and you can only own one bike (like me). I'm not sure if you will be satisfied with the CB.
I'd go with the ZRX.
Your description of the difference between the FZ1 and the ZRX is exactly what I've been reading and what has me curious. I just don't know if it will give me the laid back feel I get from the Bonnie; though I could be wrong. Decisions ... Decisions!
 
Used to ride an 06 2nd Gen FZ-1 and that engine was more like the R-1 in that you made good power high in the rev range, I think your 02 FZ-1 is the 1st Gen and that engine is similar to the ZRX1200 which is bike I almost bought but I grabbed a Triumph Sprint RS instead.

The ZRX still has carbs, right? Close to the 1st Gen FZ-1. The CB has fuel injection which I prefer.

I was getting ready to get a Bonnie, but the CB became available and being a Honda I jumped at it for the reliability, build quality and parts availability. Remember, I had a modern Triumph triple but it bugged me about getting parts.

CB lack of power? Not really an issue in real world riding compared to my recent inline-fours like the FZ-1 and Suzuki Bandit 1250 (another torque monster 4). The torque of the CB is nice, I can ease out the clutch and get rolling with little to no throttle needed.

Hard to go wrong with the CB.

Aloha,
Huladog
 
I'm not sure why you think the Griso has a wide leg stance. You sit behind the motor, just like the CB. I have a very long inseam and my knees do not hit the heads. However; in the summer, in Phoenix, the heads produce a LOT of heat and that can be a problem in town. On the road, not so much. I find the CB is much more comfortable for my bumm than the Griso but above 65mph I prefer the Guzzi motor. I fear V twins have spoiled me.

I like the fact the CB does not produce a ton of power. It does produce more than my old 550 kawasaki and that sucker was a honker! It produces almost as much as the old CB900F, which I find is plenty. But the hp think is a personal preference and your mileage will certainly vary.

Back in the day folks toured on 500cc singles or smaller (I did it on a 125 and the 360) so when the 750 came out folks thought they had died and gone to heaven. Now 1100cc seems good enough for "light touring". Really? What about all the guys adventure touring on 650 Wee Stroms?

I've ridden the Bonnie and while it was a nice enough bike it didn't really move me (today a bike has to move you, back then it just had to be reliable) I'd take the CB over it any day.

The Griso has a lot more torque than the CB but it's really comparing apples and oranges. The Griso is more of a sport tourer (at least once the seat is fixed - again, some folks love the seat) than the CB; I find the CB more of a town bike or day rider but intend to explore the touring aspect a bit more in the future. I have yet to be on it long enough for the seat to bust my bum. :)

At first I was going to sell the Griso but now I'm trying to see if I can't keep her.
 
Thread starter
Rboe_imp said:
I'm not sure why you think the Griso has a wide leg stance. You sit behind the motor, just like the CB. I have a very long inseam and my knees do not hit the heads. However; in the summer, in Phoenix, the heads produce a LOT of heat and that can be a problem in town. On the road, not so much. I find the CB is much more comfortable for my bumm than the Griso but above 65mph I prefer the Guzzi motor. I fear V twins have spoiled me.

I like the fact the CB does not produce a ton of power. It does produce more than my old 550 kawasaki and that sucker was a honker! It produces almost as much as the old CB900F, which I find is plenty. But the hp think is a personal preference and your mileage will certainly vary.

Back in the day folks toured on 500cc singles or smaller (I did it on a 125 and the 360) so when the 750 came out folks thought they had died and gone to heaven. Now 1100cc seems good enough for "light touring". Really? What about all the guys adventure touring on 650 Wee Stroms?

I've ridden the Bonnie and while it was a nice enough bike it didn't really move me (today a bike has to move you, back then it just had to be reliable) I'd take the CB over it any day.

The Griso has a lot more torque than the CB but it's really comparing apples and oranges. The Griso is more of a sport tourer (at least once the seat is fixed - again, some folks love the seat) than the CB; I find the CB more of a town bike or day rider but intend to explore the touring aspect a bit more in the future. I have yet to be on it long enough for the seat to bust my bum. :)

At first I was going to sell the Griso but now I'm trying to see if I can't keep her.
That's interesting about the Griso. I watched a video review of the Griso vs. HD XR1200 where the reviewer commented on a wide leg stance on the Griso. The Griso is a beautiful bike!

You may be right about the power of the CB1100 being enough. That's why opinions are so valuable. The Bonnie really does not have enough power for me. I love it despite its lack of power, but constantly wish it had more. The brakes on my Bonnie are terrible! Thank you very much for you input.
 
Rboe_imp said:
I'm not sure why you think the Griso has a wide leg stance. You sit behind the motor, just like the CB. I have a very long inseam and my knees do not hit the heads. However; in the summer, in Phoenix, the heads produce a LOT of heat and that can be a problem in town. On the road, not so much. I find the CB is much more comfortable for my bumm than the Griso but above 65mph I prefer the Guzzi motor. I fear V twins have spoiled me.

I like the fact the CB does not produce a ton of power. It does produce more than my old 550 kawasaki and that sucker was a honker! It produces almost as much as the old CB900F, which I find is plenty. But the hp think is a personal preference and your mileage will certainly vary.

Back in the day folks toured on 500cc singles or smaller (I did it on a 125 and the 360) so when the 750 came out folks thought they had died and gone to heaven. Now 1100cc seems good enough for "light touring". Really? What about all the guys adventure touring on 650 Wee Stroms?

I've ridden the Bonnie and while it was a nice enough bike it didn't really move me (today a bike has to move you, back then it just had to be reliable) I'd take the CB over it any day.

The Griso has a lot more torque than the CB but it's really comparing apples and oranges. The Griso is more of a sport tourer (at least once the seat is fixed - again, some folks love the seat) than the CB; I find the CB more of a town bike or day rider but intend to explore the touring aspect a bit more in the future. I have yet to be on it long enough for the seat to bust my bum. :)

At first I was going to sell the Griso but now I'm trying to see if I can't keep her.
FYI. My mentioning the CB as a "light tourer"; I am talking about the weight. Because the CB is very capable of "Heavy Touring". I just got back from a 3757 mile trip on a CB, with a fellow on a Bonnie and a fellow on a HD Street Bob. With a 725 mile day and a couple of 660 mile days and a handfull of 500+ mile days... BTW my GPS showed my max speed of the entire trip was 89mph! That's normally unheard of in my riding style. I own a '11 Speed Triple.

However, I must say I wanted more power...
 
Greg,

I too have a bonneville, modded with Airbox removal with pod filters, D&D full exhaust, and a custom tune. I just traded in a 2012 Speed Triple 1050 (132HP and 470lbs) for an MV Agusta Brutale 800 (125HP and 400lbs). I've never felt at any time that the Honda CB1100 lacked power. With the bonneville, even modded I am always wringing it out to 6-7k rpms but on the CB11, the engine is just stronger across the board. It is a very balanced motorcycle (braking, handling, power) and does everything with ease. Hope that helps.

Hung
 
Just came from a Triumph '06 Scrambler that was slightly modified with TOR pipes and a few other speed bits to the stock CB1100 and power is exponentially increased. Onramps that I was hitting 60-70 on the Scrambler are easy 90+ on the big red Honda. It was fairly easy to top out on the Scrambler just under the ton and I don't even want to know the top speed on the CB because it has much more to go when I just chicken out. And don't even get me started on the brakes, my non abs CB stops like nothing I have ever ridden before. If abs was free would I have taken it, probably but not needed nor worth the added expense in my personal opinion. I do miss the style of the Triumph it was just so damn cool but the torque, fit and finish and smoothness of the Honda is oh so nice!

ac289a95970e55fb029dcdd3f0389f68.jpg
 
Thread starter
CBville_imp said:
Greg,

I too have a bonneville, modded with Airbox removal with pod filters, D&D full exhaust, and a custom tune. I just traded in a 2012 Speed Triple 1050 (132HP and 470lbs) for an MV Agusta Brutale 800 (125HP and 400lbs). I've never felt at any time that the Honda CB1100 lacked power. With the bonneville, even modded I am always wringing it out to 6-7k rpms but on the CB11, the engine is just stronger across the board. It is a very balanced motorcycle (braking, handling, power) and does everything with ease. Hope that helps.

Hung
Hi Hung ... That helps a lot. Thank you.
 
buck, my bad, miss-read your meaning of light. Thanks for the explanation. Wish I could take the time to do some serious road time like you have.

Brakes. I was very impressed with the brakes on the Griso when I got it. Then the Honda came along. Oh man, very nice brakes. Now the Griso's are still good, but I see room for improvement. Which could be odd, she has Brembo brakes.

Oh, if you take the Griso for a test ride, make her a long one. Guzzi's grow on you slowly. Or just buy both. :)
 
All good points. One that I'll add is that if you do get the CB, and still find yourself wanting more power, you could always go up a tooth or two on the rear sprocket. It's a fairly easy-going bike as it is stock (I haven't seen any wheelie pictures yet), but that simple mod would certainly wake it up a bit.

That said, I've only come across one or two people who have found the CB to be "not enough". It has plenty of power for most of us...I've never even gone within 2,000 rpm of the redline.
 
Lots of good comments in this thread. I'm thinking with so many bikes in your area that you might be able to find a dealer willing to let you test ride the bike. That will probably be the only way to know if it is going to meet your expectations or not. Best of luck with the decision!
 
CBville_imp said:
Greg,

I too have a bonneville, modded with Airbox removal with pod filters, D&D full exhaust, and a custom tune. I just traded in a 2012 Speed Triple 1050 (132HP and 470lbs) for an MV Agusta Brutale 800 (125HP and 400lbs). I've never felt at any time that the Honda CB1100 lacked power. With the bonneville, even modded I am always wringing it out to 6-7k rpms but on the CB11, the engine is just stronger across the board. It is a very balanced motorcycle (braking, handling, power) and does everything with ease. Hope that helps.

Hung
How's the fueling on the Brutale? MV has taken a lot of criticism for the FI on the smaller Brutale. The 800 looks like an incredible bike on paper, how is it in the flesh?
 
Yea he is Ryder and he really loves anything with a motor and a nice paint job. I make sure to get his approval before any new vehicle purchase!
ed763658a69499db805e590cd21c1fe9.jpg
646818f366eae72a82279d92bbf01bf0.jpg
70ffea35bb3d208964b1bc8f0104a06d.jpg

9bd901e3f6ca979222afd6ae207da52c.jpg
8cfd7a6410815de39b19abf931fe68c2.jpg


wildezt_imp said:
great snap of the little rider there Utah1.. :) he he..! this is living proof that all men are born with a love for bikes...!!
 
[/QUOTE]

How's the fueling on the Brutale? MV has taken a lot of criticism for the FI on the smaller Brutale. The 800 looks like an incredible bike on paper, how is it in the flesh?
[/QUOTE]

Not nearly as bad as reviews make it out to be. With such strict EPA rules now, manufacturers normally have two options: Detune the engine out of the gates or tune the engine ultra lean at partial throttle and low rpms. I prefer the latter because they will eventually release map updates to fix all the fueling issues since the bikes already passed through production.

It's a great bike IMO, looks amazing and handles like a dream and is a lot of fun to ride.
 
Back
Top