Time To Let Go

2017EX_imp

Been there
Thread starter
Well Folks, age and ongoing health problems have brought me to the conclusion that the smart move at this point in my life is to let go of my beloved 2017 CB1100EX. I knew this day would come, so in preparation I bought a 2019 Honda Monkey that I will use to get my two-wheel fix from time to time. Among other things, I have essential tremor and arthritis in my hands. The Monkey, obviously a lot lighter than the CB and a lot less responsive, is a lot easier for me to handle at this point, as well as greatly reducing the odds of getting myself into trouble.

For as much as I was able to ride it, the CB1100 brought back many fond memories of being glued to the saddle of my 1974 CB750 Four back in the day when I was a young 20 something. I have really enjoyed participating in all the discussions, and exchanges of information here on The Forum. I don't want to completely disappear, but my contributions will be different moving forward. I have listed my bike for sale here on the Forum first, to give Forum members first shot at it because I don't think anyone else really appreciates what a spectacular machine the CB1100 really is.
 
Saw your bike / add...looks like someone can buy that confidently knowing they will get a great bike. It's a tough decision to let go of something that is so fun. May the Monkey bring you new adventures!
 
My Monkey says hello and you are about to have a ton of fun riding a mini bike.

ee32f70c8915b66dfb720695e65b6a58.jpg
 
Don’t be a stranger 2017EX. We like people who like bikes.
 
Thread starter
Cormanus_imp said:
Don’t be a stranger 2017EX. We like people who like bikes.
Thanks, Cormanus, I won't disappear entirely, but my participation will be a little different moving forward.
 
Best of luck 2017EX. Enjoy your monkey!


I saw your ad and Im ashamed to say it's a far better deal than what I paid for my 2017 cb1100 I picked up in the summer. Tell the seller hes very lucky indeed!!
 
Charlie Bravo_imp said:
It takes a smart man to recognize his own limits. I myself am dialing down on riding, too.
I agree. Since I'm of a certain age, but in good health, that decision is not that far off for me too.
This year I began to notice the weight of the 1100 more than before so I bought a bike dolly to spin the bike around in my garage. Moving the bike in and out is much easier now, but time still marches on.
 
I'm not too far behind some of you in this. A couple of years ago I got rid of my 2015 Goldwing. I got tired of wrestling the weight around with my strength dwindling with age. However, after another year without a bike, the CB1100 is my fix at about 450 lbs less than my Goldwing. So far I handle the CB1100 just fine and am reliving my 1970's and 1980's years again. The wife doesn't ride anymore, and I am happy with the power etc. I am 64 now. Just a few more years and I will probably be reaching the point where riding 2 wheels is no longer safe. Until then, ride with care my friends.
 
Milk master, Rocky and Nachodaddy won’t see 80 again; the Ferret won’t see 70, and they’re all still riding. You’ve a long way to go.
 
I shared this on another thread, but this is a GREAT short video by an older rider FOR us seasoned, older riders, about recognizing when it's time to downsize, and some recommendations. I shared it with a friend of mine in his 70s who - despite constantly dropping his half-ton V-twin bikes, and despite having SERIOUSLY injured himself - STILL insists he MUST ride a big bike. Even though now, due to not being able to handle it, he CAN'T ride. Sigh. Anyway, good watch here:

BTW, I'm 68 and plan on riding for MANY more years. We're getting my wife (62) back onto her own bike next spring - either a Rebel 500 or Vulcan 650s. Previously she rode a Rebel 250 and then a GSX650F. (awesome bike)
 
You are right, M, don't need the weight, don't need the power. 550 lbs is plenty, more is nothing but a pain to us more mortals. But the CB1100 offers something else: a certain level, lure and appeal of sophisticated, timeless technology, craftsmanship, and complexity which I love and do not see in a modern 2cyl average water-cooled engine. And while my old CB550 Four is almost as good.... I love the 11.
Will scale down with age, of course, and only ride the 11 according to the following formula:
5 days a week at 50, 5 days a week at 60, 4 days a week at 70 .... until she or me cannot do it no more ;)
(or I run out of money)
 
Thread starter
Well, as my hero Clint Eastwood said in one of his movies "Ya know, a mans just gotta know his limitations." I had a Harley CVO Softail Springer for 10 years starting in 2007. That thing weighed over 750 lbs. and was like wrestling a tank in around town traffic. I was younger and stronger back then, but it got to the point where I knew I needed to downsize. So, in 2017 I started looking at the options and was thrilled to find that Honda was making a machine called a CB1100EX, and huzzah, it was four cylinders just like my CB750 Four back in the day. By going getting rid of the Harley I cut over 250 lbs. of weight, and increased maneuverability dramatically.

Now I am going from the CB1100 to the Monkey. Oddly enough, the Monkey has the almost exactly the same wheelbase and seat height as my very first motorcycle, a 1968 Suzuki K11 Sport 80. Brand spankin new, the K11 was $350. I worked all summer at a 24-hr. restaurant washing dishes and bussing tables to make the money to buy it. It wasn't long before I started wanting a bigger bike with more HP.

The Monkey is a lot of fun, and it allows me to still ride when I want to. Despite age catching up with me, and various related ailments, it is easy to maneuver in and out of the garage, as well as the actual riding.
 
Back
Top