Time to learn a new skill

Gone in 60

Road warrior
Thread starter
I just ordered a pair of new tires for my Triumph. I've used a local shop for tire changes for years. He's reasonable on price for carry-in tire swaps, and is the only guy to never scratch my wheels.

I called to get an appointment, and found that he's recently gone out of business. I called around to a few shops, and was quoted some pretty high prices. Higher than buying a set of hand tools and doing the job myself.

Tire swaps have been one of those jobs that I've relegated to a shop but know that I could probably do myself, but the convenience factor has outweighed the price until now.

I've changed tires on bicycles and lawn mowers. Plenty of YouTube experts and Harbor Freight coupons. How hard can it be?
 
On a Triumph it can be harder due to the tubes. Ever hear of a snake bite?
 
I think the CB1100 and Triumph street bikes like the Bonneville are within range of many owners. I say this only because the tires are more forgiving than those on larger bikes and adventure models where the sidewalls can be extremely stiff and best to still take to a motorcycle garage.

Balancing the wheels is the easiest activity when replacing the rubber.
 
Thread starter
Yes, it’s got tubes, so that’s an added factor. For balance, I was going to get a balance stand and some weights.
 
If I had purchased a tire mounting stand 30 years ago when I first considered it, I’d be a rich man by now. But I never did. I say go for it!
 
Thread starter
Thanks pdedse, I’ll check that one out. Since the Bonnie has chrome rims, I figured it would be good to try that one to start, but I’m also planning to pick up a set of rim protectors. I really hate scratching stuff.
 
I'm surprised no one has mentioned dyna beads for balancing. I've used them for years with no problems, 2oz in the rear and 1oz in the front poured in through the valve stem and wheels are perfectly balanced at any speed its like riding on glass.
 
Thread starter
By the way, Ferret, the only snakebite I've gotten is getting out of a Cobra with side pipes while wearing flip-flops. That burn mark on my ankle never went away.

As far as scratching the rims, I've seen videos using rim protectors, but I am thinking about putting a few layers of heavy duty heat shrink over tire levers, and putting duct tape around the edge of the rims as an added measure. Being relatively narrow tires with tall sidewalls, I'm thinking these might be good tires to learn on, as opposed to lower profile sport tires.

Harbor Freight is running a clearance sale on their balancing stand, and with a Labor Day coupon, it was less than thirty bucks. Mrs. Gone says the tires are already on the porch. That was quick, just ordered them yesterday.
 
Mixagon_imp said:
I'm surprised no one has mentioned dyna beads for balancing. I've used them for years with no problems, 2oz in the rear and 1oz in the front poured in through the valve stem and wheels are perfectly balanced at any speed its like riding on glass.
@mixa, I’ve tried the website, but didn’t see much of an explanation (could be my browser / ad blocker). Could you explain how it works ? Would be curious to understand the principle.
 
j3gq_imp said:
Mixagon_imp said:
I'm surprised no one has mentioned dyna beads for balancing. I've used them for years with no problems, 2oz in the rear and 1oz in the front poured in through the valve stem and wheels are perfectly balanced at any speed its like riding on glass.
@mixa, I’ve tried the website, but didn’t see much of an explanation (could be my browser / ad blocker). Could you explain how it works ? Would be curious to understand the principle.
@mixa, I’ve tried the website, but didn’t see much of an explanation (could be my browser / ad blocker). Could you explain how it works ? Would be curious to understand the principle. When I had my new tires installed at the dealer awhile back, they used the beads. They did not even remove the old balance weights, as the beads will compensate for them. If I do remove the old weights, the beads automatically compensate. The beads work on centrifugal force, I believe, and distribute themselves inside the tire where they are most needed. Anyway, I do not know the exact way they work, but they certainly do and are much easier than trying to balance a tire. Simply pour them in and inflate the tire and ride off. Very smooth, nicely balanced.
 
Back
Top