throttle cable replace

x6m_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Anybody know any secrets to threading the throttle cables on the injector side. There seems to be very little access. I got the cables off but am having no success fitting the pull side barrel back into it’s hole. I’ve tried working from the top with the electronics tray removed and from both sides.
 
G’day x6m. Welcome to the forum.
 
x6m_imp said:
Anybody know any secrets to threading the throttle cables on the injector side. There seems to be very little access. I got the cables off but am having no success fitting the pull side barrel back into it’s hole. I’ve tried working from the top with the electronics tray removed and from both sides.
My Honda manual does not say anything ....what year is yours?
Perhaps you should first hook up cable from th. body side (less room)....
If you open th. plate by your finger ...it may reveal access/hole for cable barrel...never done it, just thinking = might be completely wrong..
Perhaps this link can help you ??
http://cb1100forum.com/forum/archive/index.php?thread-4335.html or here
http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=9050&highlight=throttle+cables
Good luck or hang around for better advice

pb
 
Thread starter
Hi Peter,
Thanks for getting back to me.
I forgot to mention that this is a 2014 CB1100e model [don't know what the 'e' signifies??]
When I twist the injector shaft a bit the barrel hole on the pull side completely disappears. The only time the shop manual discusses the removal of the cables is as the final step when removing the entire injector manifold. I am having a longer set made and was able to finess the cables off but have not been able to figure out how to reinstall the pull side yet. Need to have someone weigh in who has actually performed this delicate operation.
Mark
 
I don't recall anyone saying they had completely removed the throttle cable at both ends, only the switch side to change bars or switches. Hopefully someone has and can advise you.
 
X6m, first—Welcome!

Although this may seem strange, the instructions for the heated grips have a fair amount of info on the cables. Pics and all. You may want to check them out. http://cssportal.css-club.net/honda/MCA/TERMS010.aspx

This link gives people fits for some people. Let us know if it does and I’ll tell you how to make it work.
 
Thread starter
Hi popgun
Looks like i'm one of the ones the link dosn't work for, what's the trick
 
I don’t know why it acts like that. For me it works perfectly.

IIRC you get a page that says something about logging in or whatever. In the upper right there is a button that says TOP or some such. Click that and you will get the first page. Click agree and Honda user and you will be in. Then select 751cc and up. Select CB1100, then 2014 and see the heated grips and click on the little Adobe icon.

If you really have trouble, PM me and we can get it.
 
Thread starter
Thanks for that popgun
I got in, and the instruction layouts for removing the debris under the tank and accessing from the top are much better than the service manual, but it stops short of instructing in the removal and reinserting of the pull cable barrel.
Mark
 
I just went out and looked at mine. If you use a mirror and look from underneath you can see it. Looks to me like a PIA to do. And to me, easier if the cable is not attached at either end until the pull thing is in. Good luck with it!
 
Thread starter
Well, when the new cable arrives it got to go in.
I will try to document the process for other sufferers
Mark
 
Thread starter
update
ok here’s the scoop
I replaced the stock 4” rise handlebars, which had my knees hitting the cam covers, with higher 8’ bars [Emgo OEM Style 23-12544] to give me a more upright and further back riding position. This, of course required lengthening all the hook ups. The wiring got a splice at the headlight end where it can’t be seen. Stock hoses were replaced with Magnum Build Your Own Hydraulic Lines, nice product, field friendly fittings. The throttle was a bit of a battle. I ordered two kits: a Magnum BYO Build Your Own Throttle/Idle Cable Kit - Stainless Steel 394529 for around $45 and a Venhill U01-4-100/A-BK Universal Motorcycle Throttle Cable Kit for around $30
To get the barrels into the throttle at the injector was a battle. Not a place where a photo can show much. I eventually succeeded by propping the pivot open about 15 degrees with a short piece of wood dowel which brought the pull open barrel chamber into view from the right side just visible under the manifold. Using hemostats and picks I was able to thread the bare inner cable up through the channel it runs through and maneuver the barrel into its’ receptacle. After that everything was easy; just slid on the adjuster, casing, [cut to length], and original handlebar throttle control adjuster end, [some mods to the Magnum required because of the ss shielding]. I then screwed on the very slick set screw barrel that came with the Magnum. I installed the return cable in much the same manner, adjusting the used the dowel prop to bring the receptacle into view. The Venhill uses standard diameter casing so the honda casing fittings slid right on. I added an additional adjuster to the return before the handlebar throttle control as getting to the injector adjusters once everything is put back above them is pretty much impossible. The Venhill uses a solder on fitting which I did not like as much as the set screw one on the Magnum. A little dialing in and everything is up and running.
Mark
 
Glad it worked out in the end. SOunds like a lot of work, but if you get the desired result, worth it.

A picture of the bike/ handlebar set up would be appreciated.
 
most of us use a photo hosting site like Imgur to store photos, then link from there.
 
Thread starter
Here are some shots of the higher handlebars in place, note the led indicators for the turn signals on the shield supports [hooked into the rear sigs] for those of us who are short term memory impaired and can't see the flashing little green lights on the panel.
Mark
 
X6m,

You couldn’t find a bigger windshield? :)
 
Yea those are some pretty high bars, but not as out of place looking as I expected. lol love the turn signal reminders.
 
Is that the things on the screen struts?

What’s the pipe running over the front fender? Mine doesn’t have one of those.
 
Back
Top