Throttle cable exposed

misterprofessionality

Road warrior
Thread starter
I noticed this morning on the way to work that the protective sheath around the throttle cable has split, exposing the metal throttle cable underneath. It looks relatively recent, because the cable itself is still silver and shiny. my initial instinct is to put the sheath back together and get it wrapped up tight with electrical tape, but if anybody else knows any good tricks to sealing this up that would help. Or should I just have the cable replaced?
 
This happened to me also I had a rub spot underneath the fairing. I just electrical taped over it to keep debri from getting in there and made sure I lubed the cable after.

Been like that for a few years now I think, never had a problem.

Just "cover" it. You dont have to go real tight with the tape wrapping wise. No need to pull it tight to finish it off like a wire. You dont wanna restrict movement of the wire from being overly tight.

Black duct tape might even be a better option since it will just stick around the sheathing instead of having to go a little tighter with electrical tape to make sure it sticks.

2014 CB1100, 1981 KZ440 LTD, 1993 Yamaha XJ600 Seca, 1994 Yamaha XJ600 Seca
 
Thread starter
i don't know how to lube a cable properly but it couldn't hurt to spritz a little lithium grease in where the cable is exposed and work it around before sealing the whole thing up. I'll take the black duct tape advice. that does seem like it would hold the two halves of split sheath together better.
 
Pretty straight forward and important maintenance if you want to watch a few videos on it.

I believe that guy MC garage thats an off shoot of revzilla channel but for like the DIY mechanic has a good video on it.

You open the throttle side controls and basically just squirt CABLE lube down the send and return lines (idr if the CB has a return line or not like my yamahas).

Motion pro makes a tool that makes it alot easier/less messy. You put your cable end inside the clamp/vice tool and it has a port to squirt the lube into.

All that aside the duct tape should work good. I would just consider lubing the throttle cables if you have never before.



2014 CB1100, 1981 KZ440 LTD, 1993 Yamaha XJ600 Seca, 1994 Yamaha XJ600 Seca
 
The CB110 has both send and return cables. Don't ask how I know.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
The CB110 has both send and return cables. Don't ask how I know.
5b4bb9b892f6bae886f15a71e52e94e0.png


2014 CB1100, 1981 KZ440 LTD, 1993 Yamaha XJ600 Seca, 1994 Yamaha XJ600 Seca
 
Back
Top