Thoughts on W800

Beautiful pic Wisedrum....and these two horses gaze jealously at your motorcycle, watch out :)
 
TCBronson_imp said:
I gave up my search on a CB1100 and pulled the trigger on a 2020 W800. I'll try this for a while and see how I like it.
It tics all the boxes for me, looks, size, weight and price.
TC - I hope you're enjoying that W800. How are you liking it so far? I just went & looked at a '21 but couldn't test ride as it wasn't prepped. Will do that before buying. I noticed they have tubeless tires. Had no idea & didn't see it addressed in my research. That's great in case of flat on the road. Does your '20 have the same?
Enjoy & be safe on the road.
 
I see I'm late to this.. W800s are awesome. It looks bland on paper or even slow but it really isn't. It's definitely quicker than a Guzzi V7 and on paper they look the same in performance.
They handle well too.
My only qualms if any with the W800 is the brake calipers look cheap. They work well but they look cheap. They could of given some more detail to it like Triumph or even Royal Enfield. Exhausts are pricy too.

Bottom line though is I'd own one in a New York minute. Preferably a standard and then add my own clubmans.
 
Rox_imp said:
I see I'm late to this.. W800s are awesome. It looks bland on paper or even slow but it really isn't. It's definitely quicker than a Guzzi V7 and on paper they look the same in performance.
They handle well too.
My only qualms if any with the W800 is the brake calipers look cheap. They work well but they look cheap. They could of given some more detail to it like Triumph or even Royal Enfield. Exhausts are pricy too.

Bottom line though is I'd own one in a New York minute. Preferably a standard and then add my own clubmans.
I agree on both remarks Rox.

One can look really swell on the V7, but it is a bit of a sled ride. The W800 looks quite nice just parked there; would be happy to hop on one.
 
The last weeks I didn't ride much with my motorbikes.

Today I took the W out for a ride and was happy that the motor started easily and the bike ran fine with 75.000km on it's speedometer, though the first battery is nearly 11 years old and I never used a charger, just the bike charges the battery whenever the engine is running. Cool W, cold weather, warm clothes.


 
Wisedrum_imp said:
The last weeks I didn't ride much with my motorbikes.

Today I took the W out for a ride and was happy that the motor started easily and the bike ran fine with 75.000km on it's speedometer, though the first battery is nearly 11 years old and I never used a charger, just the bike charges the battery whenever the engine is running. Cool W, cold weather, warm clothes.
Very cool Wisedrum.

Very strong battery. Wow.
 
Think I'm gonna pick up one of these. Too much $$ for what it is but darn if it isn't one beautiful bike. This will be my first ever Kawasaki, and kudos to them for importing the bike for four years in a row despite lackluster sales (wish Honda brought in the CB with different colors for a few years....)
 
I’m doing the other way around, swaping my 20 w800 Street (europe only model) for a 15 CB 1100 EX. Nothing wrong wirh the kawi but i want a bit more power and the looks of the EX.
The w800 is very easy on you, has very good low torque and a very nice sound.
One of the best bikes available for relax riding.
 
Classico_imp said:
I’m doing the other way around, swaping my 20 w800 Street (europe only model) for a 15 CB 1100 EX. Nothing wrong wirh the kawi but i want a bit more power and the looks of the EX.
The w800 is very easy on you, has very good low torque and a very nice sound.
One of the best bikes available for relax riding.
The world needs more W800-like offerings so people can find more reasons to chill.
 
DaSwami_imp said:
Think I'm gonna pick up one of these. Too much $$ for what it is but darn if it isn't one beautiful bike. This will be my first ever Kawasaki, and kudos to them for importing the bike for four years in a row despite lackluster sales (wish Honda brought in the CB with different colors for a few years....)
Great bike, but I am partial. My first bike was a '76 KZ750 with a vertical twin and very nice, quick, reliable and great handling bike. Somehow, I think the twin gave it an advantage over the fours, in that the center of gravity was a bit lower, but I'm no engineer.
Kawasaki is an industrial giant, making container ships, tankers and aircraft. They can afford to take a few year's losses on a few bikes. I doubt the bikes contribute much either way to their bottom line. Again, just my guess because I am not an expert.
 
Nachodaddy_imp said:
DaSwami_imp said:
Think I'm gonna pick up one of these. Too much $$ for what it is but darn if it isn't one beautiful bike. This will be my first ever Kawasaki, and kudos to them for importing the bike for four years in a row despite lackluster sales (wish Honda brought in the CB with different colors for a few years....)
Great bike, but I am partial. My first bike was a '76 KZ750 with a vertical twin and very nice, quick, reliable and great handling bike. Somehow, I think the twin gave it an advantage over the fours, in that the center of gravity was a bit lower, but I'm no engineer.
Kawasaki is an industrial giant, making container ships, tankers and aircraft. They can afford to take a few year's losses on a few bikes. I doubt the bikes contribute much either way to their bottom line. Again, just my guess because I am not an expert.
Great bike, but I am partial. My first bike was a '76 KZ750 with a vertical twin and very nice, quick, reliable and great handling bike. Somehow, I think the twin gave it an advantage over the fours, in that the center of gravity was a bit lower, but I'm no engineer.
Kawasaki is an industrial giant, making container ships, tankers and aircraft. They can afford to take a few year's losses on a few bikes. I doubt the bikes contribute much either way to their bottom line. Again, just my guess because I am not an expert.
If they don't make profit with their power sports line card, then at least they are getting the name circulated. I would think market stakeholders would want a bit more than that.
 
Whelp, let's pump the brakes a bit. Went and looked at a 2019 Cafe version, not my cup of tea, but the 2022 version was not out of the box yet at the local dealer. Was not allowed to test ride, but started the bike and listened (wonderful exhaust note). However, the vibration in the handlebars just twisting the throttle in neutral was startling. It was just off idle all the way to 4000 rpms...sat on the bike and could feel it in the seat too....not so sure now...buzzing is one thing, vibration is another....
 
I like the way it looks, but I tend to think it would be just too slow and an under performing compared to our CB1100. I am still riding my Kawasaki Z900 RS, retro-Rootbeer colored one I bought in 2018. Yes, I know it is not totally Retro with its water-cooled, large radiator, but on the performance end, not many bikes with such a small displacement will do 155mph or the 1/4 mile near and below 11 seconds.
I just put new Pirelli Angel GT tires on the Z today (a 190/50 on the rear!) and they are so much smoother than the Bridgestone Battlax tires that came on it. Anyone put them on the CB1100 yet? They are 'Z' rated, and can handle the speed of the Z900RS, but are they as smooth on the Honda? Got a little off track, but if the W800 was the only Retro bike out there, I would probably buy one, but the Triumph 1200 Scrambler would be my first choice!
 
Quite a few of us have run Pirelli Angel GTs on the CB1100 and have been very happy with them. I’m not sure they are still available in a suitable size though.
 
I'm a bit late to chime in here. Just like the CB makes me grin every time I ride it, so does my W650. I found it on FB market place and it was priced fairly. The 650's were only imported to the states for two years. I'm glad they brought back the 800 series here again. For those of us who grew up riding twin cylinders, there is a certain rhythmic vibe that is different from four cylinders. The W for me has plenty of get up and go for the street if ridden as a twin and has that exhaust note of a healthy motor at work. If you haven't ridden a W, go for a test drive to feel that vibe. Cheers to everyone and enjoy this riding season!
 
I have Pirelli Angel GT 110-18 on my DLX but front only, and I clocked 1000 miles so far.
In rear, I have 140-18 Z8, as the GTs are not available in this size.
If not mistaken, the Ferret runs GTs on his DLX, front 110 and 160 rear, very sure he will chime in
 
Yep as PB says after PR3s became unavailable I switched to Angel GTs in 110/160 sizes. Same performance as PR3 in dry, nearly same performance in wet, but dont last as long. Im on my second set. I hear they are going to be discontinued though. Dont know what I will go to if those become unavailable.
 
Back
Top