Thoughts on W800

TCBronson_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Since Honda no longer sells a CB1100 in the USA for 2021, what are your thoughts about the Kawasaki W800?
 
It would be on the short list when/if my CB goes away for some reason. Not crazy about the exhaust tips and only being 800cc, but it does have the “retro” look. My previous bikes included a 1998 KLR 250, 2008 ZX6R Ninja, 2003 Nomad and a 2009 Voyager. I put over 42,000 miles on each of the last two listed before switching to a Goldwing and CB. Kawasaki makes quality machines. Hopefully, someone will “wise up” at Honda.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
There's one local to me that I must resist urge to go look at... I think it's a great looking bike, and 800cc would be more than enough for me, if I were interested in replacing the cb1100...which I'm not. But if $ and garage space allowed, it would be very high on the list.
 
There's always a few W800s up front in the showroom of the dealership I stop at for incidentals like chain lube. I always stop and look, and they're pretty nice. Owning a Bonneville and being very happy with its performance and reliability, I'd probably choose another Triumph over the W800 if I had to make a decision, though.

With a 5-speed and a 773 cc engine, there's not much there to make me choose the W800 over a very clean, low-mileage air-cooled Bonneville, really.
 
I personally would not mind a W800 at all if the CB 1100 gets to heavy. They do look very nice and are well made , perhaps not Honda quality but still good.
 
The W800 is only 60 lbs lighter, not worth the CB1100 replacement, al least for me.
 
At one time (2002) I wanted a W600 but none could be found. kaw dealers didn't want to carry them or sell them it seemed. Ended up buying a new Bonneville T-100. It was apretty decent bike. My brother has a 2016 T 1-20 and it's better, I'd say the equivalent of a CB 1100.

However, I've decided my next bike with either be a 2021 (or newer) NC 750X DCT or a maxi scooter of some sort.
 
The ferret_imp said:
At one time (2002) I wanted a W600 but none could be found. kaw dealers didn't want to carry them or sell them it seemed. Ended up buying a new Bonneville T-100. It was apretty decent bike. My brother has a 2016 T 1-20 and it's better, I'd say the equivalent of a CB 1100.

However, I've decided my next bike with either be a 2021 (or newer) NC 750X DCT or a maxi scooter of some sort.
I would definitely want to read more on that maxi scooter "journey" when the time is right.
 
That classic styling is something hard to beat when it comes to the CB1100 and W800 respectively, however if I was looking from a performance and general riding feel of the motorcycle I would definitely go for the Ducati Scrambler 1100, all the numbers are very closely matched, they even orbit in the same price range. Both naked upright comfortable air-cooled retro bikes. Something to look into

'14 CB1100 STD 5 speed
 
Something just attracts me to the vertical twin architecture- Triumphs, W800, old Yamaha 650, old CB 450, etc. Never owned one though. Unfortunately, Mrs. A-man has instituted a strict "One butt, One bike" policy. Repression!
 
The A-man_imp said:
Something just attracts me to the vertical twin architecture- Triumphs, W800, old Yamaha 650, old CB 450, etc. Never owned one though. Unfortunately, Mrs. A-man has instituted a strict "One butt, One bike" policy. Repression!
I feel it.
 
TCBronson_imp said:
Since Honda no longer sells a CB1100 in the USA for 2021, what are your thoughts about the Kawasaki W800?
Royal Enfield 650 with a S&S 850 kit lighter faster cost less
 
The A-man_imp said:
Something just attracts me to the vertical twin architecture- Triumphs, W800, old Yamaha 650, old CB 450, etc. Never owned one though. Unfortunately, Mrs. A-man has instituted a strict "One butt, One bike" policy. Repression!
Amos , it is time to put your foot down with the the new policy : two feet is just two shoes !
 
Unfortunately, Mrs. A-man has instituted a strict "One butt, One bike" policy. Repression!


You have misinterpreted her directive. It’s “one cheek, one bike”. You’re short a bike!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Feel your pain GO
I've been looking for the right one.
The only adjustment I have to do is to move 8 winter wheels into my basement or get a small shed.
 
peterbaron_imp said:
Feel your pain GO
I've been looking for the right one.
The only adjustment I have to do is to move 8 winter wheels into my basement or get a small shed.
A song to keep you company on your search,


 
peterbaron_imp said:
Feel your pain GO
I've been looking for the right one.
The only adjustment I have to do is to move 8 winter wheels into my basement or get a small shed.
I keep the winter tires under the washroom toilet.


(no, it ain't an outhouse)
 
Back
Top