Thoughts on W800

I will have to go back and read this whole thread when I have time.

Just picked up a 2020 left over in Cardinal Red. Color scheme similar to my (gone) 2014 DLX. I didn’t like the look or seating position of the Cafe version but when I saw the standard model I was hooked. Air cooled, classic style, decent power and comfortable. What’s not to like. Also works well for two up which was another reason for my getting the bike.

Once I put a few miles on it I’ll post back here with a better overall impression of the bike.
 
Congratulations to a fine and very good motorbike. In my eyes it's the best aircooled retro real parallel twin out on the market and since the W was released for the first time. I hope you will enjoyed it.

Today I spend some time cleaning my W800 after winter seems to have gone, polishing chrome and aluminium parts and the lack set. Now I go out for a ride.

 
TCBronson_imp said:
Since Honda no longer sells a CB1100 in the USA for 2021, what are your thoughts about the Kawasaki W800?
I like the looks, since I like old looking bikes, but I think it may be too slow coming from an CB1100. Also, I try to avoid buying bikes with spokes anymore, the 2017 CB being the exception. When I bought my 2018 Z900RS, I almost got the 800, but after riding the Z900RS, I know the 800 would feel like it really is old.
 
michael1954_imp said:
TCBronson_imp said:
Since Honda no longer sells a CB1100 in the USA for 2021, what are your thoughts about the Kawasaki W800?
I like the looks, since I like old looking bikes, but I think it may be too slow coming from an CB1100. Also, I try to avoid buying bikes with spokes anymore, the 2017 CB being the exception. When I bought my 2018 Z900RS, I almost got the 800, but after riding the Z900RS, I know the 800 would feel like it really is old.
Maybe. I can compare both motorbikes as often as I want. The W800 offers round about healthy 50HP and good torque, I don't find her too slow, not even in comparison to 40HP more the CB has. Indeed she can climb up to a comparable topspeed but not in the same amount of time. Of course the CB can accelerate faster, if you push her.

The W looks very good with spoked wheels. The CB does it too but with cast wheels she doesn't look bad, which in my eyes would by no means fit the W-style.
 
I visited a dealership yesterday and they had a blue w800...very lovely bike.
It feels slightly smaller sitting on it than does the CB1100, but just a nice looking machine.
Would love to have one, but I only want 2 bikes--a dual purpose bike (my KLR650),
and the CB isn't going away anytime soon.
 
A local riding friend of mine sold his W 650 from 2000 with 50.000 miles on it to a local dealer for $ 600 last week , I stopped in today and they are ASKING $ 3999.00
VERY few bikes for sale on the floor , problems getting bikes because of parts shortage and shipping delays .
 
Houtman_imp said:
A local riding friend of mine sold his W 650 from 2000 with 50.000 miles on it to a local dealer for $ 600 last week , I stopped in today and they are ASKING $ 3999.00
VERY few bikes for sale on the floor , problems getting bikes because of parts shortage and shipping delays .
Just goes to show, he should of stuck it on eBay.
 
Houtman_imp said:
A local riding friend of mine sold his W 650 from 2000 with 50.000 miles on it to a local dealer for $ 600 last week , I stopped in today and they are ASKING $ 3999.00
VERY few bikes for sale on the floor , problems getting bikes because of parts shortage and shipping delays .
Interesting spread. I wonder if the W650 needed "much work"?
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
Houtman_imp said:
A local riding friend of mine sold his W 650 from 2000 with 50.000 miles on it to a local dealer for $ 600 last week , I stopped in today and they are ASKING $ 3999.00
VERY few bikes for sale on the floor , problems getting bikes because of parts shortage and shipping delays .
Interesting spread. I wonder if the W650 needed "much work"?
Interesting spread. I wonder if the W650 needed "much work"?
$600...wow! 50k miles is a fair amount, but I would bet someone would have offered 2 grand easy if in ok shape.
 
The bike is in fairly good shape but has a Triumph seat on it as he found that more comfortable . My friend takes good care of his bikes but needed the room in his garage .
They probably would sell it for $ 1500- $ 2000 as they did nothing to the bike.
Tev62_imp said:
Houtman_imp said:
A local riding friend of mine sold his W 650 from 2000 with 50.000 miles on it to a local dealer for $ 600 last week , I stopped in today and they are ASKING $ 3999.00
VERY few bikes for sale on the floor , problems getting bikes because of parts shortage and shipping delays .
Just goes to show, he should of stuck it on eBay.
Just goes to show, he should of stuck it on eBay.
I told him to sell locally on Craig's list but he could not be bothered.
 
I HATE selling things online. If I can work out a deal with a dealer I can be happy with, , I'd much rather he deal with the tire kickers, low ballers, and those wanting to abuse the bike on a test ride.
 
The ferret_imp said:
I HATE selling things online. If I can work out a deal with a dealer I can be happy with, , I'd much rather he deal with the tire kickers, low ballers, and those wanting to abuse the bike on a test ride.
Low ballers I shew-away (" ... go away, don't come back.").

Tire kickers it is possible to have a better, civil conversation about sale transaction.

Abusers: Yeah, there is risk. Fortunately I've never had the misfortune.
 
The ferret_imp said:
I HATE selling things online. If I can work out a deal with a dealer I can be happy with, , I'd much rather he deal with the tire kickers, low ballers, and those wanting to abuse the bike on a test ride.
I've sold a number of bikes using CL with zero issues...but I tend to start on the low side with asking price because I want to attract buyers, and I'm selling because I want to sell, not wait weeks and weeks for a buyer. I've never made out like a bandit, but I've always been happy with the offers.
 
In Ireland most of the local ads state "full asking price, cash in hand before any test drive" and that tends to get rid of the tyre kickers. Many years ago a friend of mine was selling his Bandit 1200 and the prospective buyer wasn't used to the power, whiskey throttled it, came off, busted open the crankcase and dumped the oil all over the road. The guy was honourable though and stuck around, he then paid the full asking price and called for a trailer.

My friend was delighted, he was going to be very flexible on the asking price when the guy showed up. That same friend now rides a W800 but I have yet to convince him to go back to a full face helmet as you can see :s

 
Tev62_imp said:
In Ireland most of the local ads state "full asking price, cash in hand before any test drive" and that tends to get rid of the tyre kickers. Many years ago a friend of mine was selling his Bandit 1200 and the prospective buyer wasn't used to the power, whiskey throttled it, came off, busted open the crankcase and dumped the oil all over the road. The guy was honourable though and stuck around, he then paid the full asking price and called for a trailer.

My friend was delighted, he was going to be very flexible on the asking price when the guy showed up. That same friend now rides a W800 but I have yet to convince him to go back to a full face helmet as you can see :s
Sure but who knows how they treat your bike once they get around the corner and out of sight? Then they come back and say, no it isn't for me, can I have my money back please? Bam, free joy ride.

Besides who carries $10,000 in cash around with them
 
Wondering if "Rabid Hedgehog" (YouTube handle) is a forum member? Rides a 2017 CB1100EX at the beginning of this W800 review.


 
My thought is, beautiful bike (the new blue color is amazing) but everything the W800 can do, I think my old 2016 Triumph T100 Bonneville does as well or better. The 360 crank is not for everybody, it kind of drones for me compared with the thump thump of the 270 degree Scrambler, which I much prefer.

The difference is the Triumph is oversquare and the Kawi is undersquare, so I am curious how that affects the engine character...
 
DaSwami_imp said:
My thought is, beautiful bike (the new blue color is amazing) but everything the W800 can do, I think my old 2016 Triumph T100 Bonneville does as well or better. The 360 crank is not for everybody, it kind of drones for me compared with the thump thump of the 270 degree Scrambler, which I much prefer.

The difference is the Triumph is oversquare and the Kawi is undersquare, so I am curious how that affects the engine character...
Apparently it has quite the vibrations 3000-4000 rpm. :-/
 
Back
Top