Thoughts on the 2017 'engine upgrades'

PowerDubs_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
Long story short-

I compared the parts list to see what revised intake tract and exhaust changes really means.

The only change is the intake snorkel-

17235-MGC-JB0

and the exhaust.

Everything else is the same. Same cyl head, same valves, same cams, same velocity stacks, same crank, throttle bodies, same air filter, same piping to hold it all together...

The intake snorkel (air horn that attaches to the side of the airbox under the side cover) looks to be shorter from the diagram. Hard to tell if it is any larger in cross section.

Any changes in the engine sound would be from the exhaust pipe/mufflers themselves other than maybe a bit more intake suction noise through the snorkel.

If I didn't already get a good deal on the TSR intake piece, I would have ordered this new intake snorkel as it is pretty cheap and very easy to swap.
 
PowerDubs_imp said:
Yep- already mentioned in my list above.
My mistake. lol I skimmed too fast. Thanks for replying.

Upon further thought, I guess I was looking for confirmation that the PN's on the throttle bodies were identical. I could have asked more clearly.
 
I'm curious what changes went into the rs model? I assumed it was something more than that.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
I re-read the review of the rs and you are right, all of the changes are either cosmetic or with the suspension and geometry. It says nothing about the engine. That does make me wonder if I could get the same geometry by swapping the tripple tree with the rs version.
 
I was having a look at the IACV for the '17 today. Different part no. And price than the '14.
Also, I compared the whole throttle body ass. Part no. And they were different too...
Must be some difference. I could see IACV but anything else?
 
Thread starter
Let me go back and double check where I looked at the TB's.. I can swear the listing I looked it had the same part # across the years and models.
Unless their parts break down is wrong, they are the same-

2014- http://www.hondapartshouse.com/oemparts/a/hon/52f28be7f870021404ec5a31/throttle-body

2017- http://www.hondapartshouse.com/oemparts/a/hon/5907901287a8660d54fac31e/throttle-body

Interestingly enough- even though the part assembly is the same part #- upon closer inspection the actuator motor part # is different between the 2. Won't effect anything as far as airflow or power- probably a supplier change.
chync_imp said:
I re-read the review of the rs and you are right, all of the changes are either cosmetic or with the suspension and geometry. It says nothing about the engine. That does make me wonder if I could get the same geometry by swapping the tripple tree with the rs version.

I haven't looked- but even if the rake degree difference is in the tree- which would make much more sense than 2 different entire frames given it is only a slight change- you would need to change the front end as the RS forks and calipers are different as well. Would be a costly endeavor if all you are looking for is a steeper rake. Raise your fork tubes= free.
 
I was just thinking the same thing today on my ride. Although at some point I would love to put inverted forks on it.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I was looking at the specs of the 2018 cb650f and that looks like it will be a fun ride. Roughly the same power as my cb1100 with mods but 100 pounds lighter.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
I see that PDubs, it is the same. Could have sworn it was diff on the UK site I looked at earlier. I'll have a look on the laptop tomorrow, too fiddly on the phone.
The two different IACV numbers are the same on the UK sight but with a vastly different price, £54 different, not just a few bucks.
Not sure why....
Roger that on dropping the forks thru the yolk. 12mm down on mine and turns in much tighter.
 
Back
Top