Thoughts after 1 month of ownership

tommymck

Been there
Thread starter
b086f2d79b2594ca78792d1b76eb4f63.jpg


I’ve had my 2017 CB1100EX for about a month and I thought I’d write up my impressions so far….the good, the bad and the ugly. Starting with the ugly, I’ve got nothing. The bike is beautiful. I had the opportunity to essentially get half-off with a new old stock 2014 in black, but the cosmetics of the 2017 in red made it worth it for me to spend the extra dough. Financially, that doesn’t make any sense, but the red and spoked wheels just do it for me. The looks of the bike are second to none to me.

There isn’t much bad either, but there are a couple of things that aren’t ideal for me. First, I plain don’t get along with the ergonomics of the turn signal switch. It’s just a niggle to be sure, but I always seem to be fishing for the thing unless I look down to see it. And you can’t easily use it while working the clutch. Second, I wish 6th was geared lower (or is it higher…I always get it wrong….) There is just a couple of hundred RPM drop between 5th and 6th. The bike has plenty of low end torque, and at highway speeds, I’d prefer that it rev’d lower in 6th. If I’m going to accelerate to pass, I’m shifting down to 5th anyway, so having 6th geared higher (or is it lower) doesn’t buy much. And although I love the looks of spoked wheels, I’m a bit of a neat freak. The front wheel is fine, but the rear wheel, with whatever the chain throws back, is a bit more of a pain to keep clean.

Finally, now for the good. It shouldn’t matter so much but looks are just fantastic. Also, the riding position is perfect for the type of bike that the CB is. I thought that I’d try to optimize comfort by trying an aftermarket peg kit that gives adjustability on the peg position. That was a $200 mistake. None of the positions beat the stock pegs and the aftermarket pegs weren’t as comfortable in any position. Generally speaking, the bike is as comfortable, fun and functional as it can possibly be. I thought that I’d end up getting a fairing but at speeds of up to 70mph at least it does great. I’d be concerned that a fairing would cause more trouble than it would be worth.

I mainly use the bike (or any bike for that matter) as a daily commuter when the weather is nice and to tool around evenings and weekends. Typical day is 30 miles at most. I did do a 200-mile day touring locally though and three hours in the saddle was no problem at all. Also, I’ve heard complaints about the suspension, but I’m assuming that these were from earlier models because the suspension on my bike is perfect. I wouldn’t change a thing.

What will I change / modify? Good sense would suggest that I do nothing at all. But I did order the Whitehouse tank and covers in red from Samurider. I really do love the stock look, but I like the idea of switching between stock and retro. It’s an expensive indulgence to be sure. I’ll see if it’s worth it. For anybody interested, I’ll post pics of the swap-out procedure. There are a couple of posts here that touch on it, but I didn’t see a descriptive how-to.

Lots of rain here on the East Coast the past few weeks, but I’ve managed to get some riding in more days than not.
 
you like low rpms as possible...well , so use the the 6. its sooo simple :hello:........:P......:cool:...btw. i have the same "problem"..:D.:D.:D too in villages/towns by round 30mile i know in principle nothing other as the 6 for to roll....also for comfortable speed up after if i get outside of town


turnswitch or clutch...use at the same time only in "emergency" situations....since i drive every kind of bikes...

fishing ? ....drive more ...so you get used to it...where the things are placed

and clear the 17 has real other supensions...!
 
Yes, I keep blowing the horn when I go for the turn signal switch. The switch is too low on the bar, and just the opposite of my sport touring bikes.

I find the stock suspension a nice compromise. The CB has to be a jack of all trades, and in that capacity the bike handles well enough.
 
tommymck_imp said:
b086f2d79b2594ca78792d1b76eb4f63.jpg


I’ve had my 2017 CB1100EX for about a month and I thought I’d write up my impressions so far….the good, the bad and the ugly. Starting with the ugly, I’ve got nothing. The bike is beautiful. I had the opportunity to essentially get half-off with a new old stock 2014 in black, but the cosmetics of the 2017 in red made it worth it for me to spend the extra dough. Financially, that doesn’t make any sense, but the red and spoked wheels just do it for me. The looks of the bike are second to none to me.

There isn’t much bad either, but there are a couple of things that aren’t ideal for me. First, I plain don’t get along with the ergonomics of the turn signal switch. It’s just a niggle to be sure, but I always seem to be fishing for the thing unless I look down to see it. And you can’t easily use it while working the clutch. Second, I wish 6th was geared lower (or is it higher…I always get it wrong….) There is just a couple of hundred RPM drop between 5th and 6th. The bike has plenty of low end torque, and at highway speeds, I’d prefer that it rev’d lower in 6th. If I’m going to accelerate to pass, I’m shifting down to 5th anyway, so having 6th geared higher (or is it lower) doesn’t buy much. And although I love the looks of spoked wheels, I’m a bit of a neat freak. The front wheel is fine, but the rear wheel, with whatever the chain throws back, is a bit more of a pain to keep clean.

Finally, now for the good. It shouldn’t matter so much but looks are just fantastic. Also, the riding position is perfect for the type of bike that the CB is. I thought that I’d try to optimize comfort by trying an aftermarket peg kit that gives adjustability on the peg position. That was a $200 mistake. None of the positions beat the stock pegs and the aftermarket pegs weren’t as comfortable in any position. Generally speaking, the bike is as comfortable, fun and functional as it can possibly be. I thought that I’d end up getting a fairing but at speeds of up to 70mph at least it does great. I’d be concerned that a fairing would cause more trouble than it would be worth.

I mainly use the bike (or any bike for that matter) as a daily commuter when the weather is nice and to tool around evenings and weekends. Typical day is 30 miles at most. I did do a 200-mile day touring locally though and three hours in the saddle was no problem at all. Also, I’ve heard complaints about the suspension, but I’m assuming that these were from earlier models because the suspension on my bike is perfect. I wouldn’t change a thing.

What will I change / modify? Good sense would suggest that I do nothing at all. But I did order the Whitehouse tank and covers in red from Samurider. I really do love the stock look, but I like the idea of switching between stock and retro. It’s an expensive indulgence to be sure. I’ll see if it’s worth it. For anybody interested, I’ll post pics of the swap-out procedure. There are a couple of posts here that touch on it, but I didn’t see a descriptive how-to.

Lots of rain here on the East Coast the past few weeks, but I’ve managed to get some riding in more days than not.
 
BamaRider_imp said:
Yes, I keep blowing the horn when I go for the turn signal switch. The switch is too low on the bar, and just the opposite of my sport touring bikes.

I find the stock suspension a nice compromise. The CB has to be a jack of all trades, and in that capacity the bike handles well enough.
i guess there are just two different types of people in the world. i've always found the turn signals to be in a perfect spot, even while clutching, and can never find the dang horn. i've been considering getting a much louder exhaust just because i'm more likley to rev my engine than blow my horn when i want to be noticed.
 
Nortoon_imp said:
tommymck_imp said:
b086f2d79b2594ca78792d1b76eb4f63.jpg


I’ve had my 2017 CB1100EX for about a month and I thought I’d write up my impressions so far….the good, the bad and the ugly. Starting with the ugly, I’ve got nothing. The bike is beautiful. I had the opportunity to essentially get half-off with a new old stock 2014 in black, but the cosmetics of the 2017 in red made it worth it for me to spend the extra dough. Financially, that doesn’t make any sense, but the red and spoked wheels just do it for me. The looks of the bike are second to none to me.

There isn’t much bad either, but there are a couple of things that aren’t ideal for me. First, I plain don’t get along with the ergonomics of the turn signal switch. It’s just a niggle to be sure, but I always seem to be fishing for the thing unless I look down to see it. And you can’t easily use it while working the clutch. Second, I wish 6th was geared lower (or is it higher…I always get it wrong….) There is just a couple of hundred RPM drop between 5th and 6th. The bike has plenty of low end torque, and at highway speeds, I’d prefer that it rev’d lower in 6th. If I’m going to accelerate to pass, I’m shifting down to 5th anyway, so having 6th geared higher (or is it lower) doesn’t buy much. And although I love the looks of spoked wheels, I’m a bit of a neat freak. The front wheel is fine, but the rear wheel, with whatever the chain throws back, is a bit more of a pain to keep clean.

Finally, now for the good. It shouldn’t matter so much but looks are just fantastic. Also, the riding position is perfect for the type of bike that the CB is. I thought that I’d try to optimize comfort by trying an aftermarket peg kit that gives adjustability on the peg position. That was a $200 mistake. None of the positions beat the stock pegs and the aftermarket pegs weren’t as comfortable in any position. Generally speaking, the bike is as comfortable, fun and functional as it can possibly be. I thought that I’d end up getting a fairing but at speeds of up to 70mph at least it does great. I’d be concerned that a fairing would cause more trouble than it would be worth.

I mainly use the bike (or any bike for that matter) as a daily commuter when the weather is nice and to tool around evenings and weekends. Typical day is 30 miles at most. I did do a 200-mile day touring locally though and three hours in the saddle was no problem at all. Also, I’ve heard complaints about the suspension, but I’m assuming that these were from earlier models because the suspension on my bike is perfect. I wouldn’t change a thing.

What will I change / modify? Good sense would suggest that I do nothing at all. But I did order the Whitehouse tank and covers in red from Samurider. I really do love the stock look, but I like the idea of switching between stock and retro. It’s an expensive indulgence to be sure. I’ll see if it’s worth it. For anybody interested, I’ll post pics of the swap-out procedure. There are a couple of posts here that touch on it, but I didn’t see a descriptive how-to.

Lots of rain here on the East Coast the past few weeks, but I’ve managed to get some riding in more days than not.
Yes, my '17 splattered bad the first 600 miles from the factory chain lube they use. Spent a good hour cleaning all that off both chain and rear wheel and spokes. Used a "Bike Spirits white graphite" and after another 600 miles, next to nothing on the wheel.
 
I don't use too much chain lube...enough. Quick little spray. I have the Honda spray that cleans the whole bike and hoses off. Works great. On spoked bikes I just do sections. Vegetable oil works fine actually, on a rag, and again not much. As far as highways go, my Hornet 900 was a gem at 72 mph. Just purred right along. I usually ride about 60 - 65 most of the time. I also ride by motor feel. Wherever it feels nice and smooth, regardless of number of cylinders.
 
Desert viper_imp said:
You’re going to love your Whitehouse tank & covers....awesome quality!
very nice and love the color . get ready for a lot of people telling you they had one just like it back in the day :thumbsup:
 
Why does it always have to be me? Desert Viper, is that really the right kit for a BMW? I mean, it will improve its appearance no end, but will it fit without an awful lot of work? :P
 
Turn signals. Ferret didn’t like them either on his ‘14 Deluxe and so changed out the switch gear for the ‘13 switch gear. Ask him for more detail if interested.
 
Yep. If you've been riding Honda's, the switch gear was virtually the same for 20+ years....until 2014. I have a '13 that has the same switch cluster as my '93 CB750. I think if I got a '14 or later, I'd have to swap out the switches. 25 years of muscle memory doesn't easily change. :D
 
Cormanus_imp said:
Why does it always have to be me? Desert Viper, is that really the right kit for a BMW? I mean, it will improve its appearance no end, but will it fit without an awful lot of work? :P
Yeah, with a couple of tweaks here and there:beerchug:
 
Desert viper_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
Why does it always have to be me? Desert Viper, is that really the right kit for a BMW? I mean, it will improve its appearance no end, but will it fit without an awful lot of work? :P
Yeah, with a couple of tweaks here and there:beerchug:
Yeah, with a couple of tweaks here and there:beerchug:
That's OK then. Phew! :thumbsup:
 
I for one switched my 2013 turn signals / horn to the same set up as my 14 and 17. It feels much more natural to me to have the turn signal button close to my thump , you will use the turn signal far more often than your horn.
 
tommymck, Try Simple Green "Mag Wheel" cleaner on your rear wheel. It works great. Note this is not regular Simple Green cleaner but specifically for mag wheels. I would think it would work fine for your wire wheels too. Good luck.
 
peterbaron_imp said:
Desert viper_imp said:
You’re going to love your Whitehouse tank & covers....awesome quality!
......so, where is the rest of the bike?????

:D

pb
......so, where is the rest of the bike?????
Everything is still in boxes including the spoked wheels and new Metzlers....I injured my shoulder in Idaho last year and had to have rotator cuff surgery here in California last February.....so I’ll probably install everything next November when we return from Idaho....it still looks like this....( a beautiful bike!)
:D

pb
 
tommymck_imp said:
b086f2d79b2594ca78792d1b76eb4f63.jpg


I’ve had my 2017 CB1100EX for about a month and I thought I’d write up my impressions so far….the good, the bad and the ugly. Starting with the ugly, I’ve got nothing. The bike is beautiful. I had the opportunity to essentially get half-off with a new old stock 2014 in black, but the cosmetics of the 2017 in red made it worth it for me to spend the extra dough. Financially, that doesn’t make any sense, but the red and spoked wheels just do it for me. The looks of the bike are second to none to me.

There isn’t much bad either, but there are a couple of things that aren’t ideal for me. First, I plain don’t get along with the ergonomics of the turn signal switch. It’s just a niggle to be sure, but I always seem to be fishing for the thing unless I look down to see it. And you can’t easily use it while working the clutch. Second, I wish 6th was geared lower (or is it higher…I always get it wrong….) There is just a couple of hundred RPM drop between 5th and 6th. The bike has plenty of low end torque, and at highway speeds, I’d prefer that it rev’d lower in 6th. If I’m going to accelerate to pass, I’m shifting down to 5th anyway, so having 6th geared higher (or is it lower) doesn’t buy much. And although I love the looks of spoked wheels, I’m a bit of a neat freak. The front wheel is fine, but the rear wheel, with whatever the chain throws back, is a bit more of a pain to keep clean.

Finally, now for the good. It shouldn’t matter so much but looks are just fantastic. Also, the riding position is perfect for the type of bike that the CB is. I thought that I’d try to optimize comfort by trying an aftermarket peg kit that gives adjustability on the peg position. That was a $200 mistake. None of the positions beat the stock pegs and the aftermarket pegs weren’t as comfortable in any position. Generally speaking, the bike is as comfortable, fun and functional as it can possibly be. I thought that I’d end up getting a fairing but at speeds of up to 70mph at least it does great. I’d be concerned that a fairing would cause more trouble than it would be worth.

I mainly use the bike (or any bike for that matter) as a daily commuter when the weather is nice and to tool around evenings and weekends. Typical day is 30 miles at most. I did do a 200-mile day touring locally though and three hours in the saddle was no problem at all. Also, I’ve heard complaints about the suspension, but I’m assuming that these were from earlier models because the suspension on my bike is perfect. I wouldn’t change a thing.

What will I change / modify? Good sense would suggest that I do nothing at all. But I did order the Whitehouse tank and covers in red from Samurider. I really do love the stock look, but I like the idea of switching between stock and retro. It’s an expensive indulgence to be sure. I’ll see if it’s worth it. For anybody interested, I’ll post pics of the swap-out procedure. There are a couple of posts here that touch on it, but I didn’t see a descriptive how-to.

Lots of rain here on the East Coast the past few weeks, but I’ve managed to get some riding in more days than not.
I am very interested in seeing the swapout of the tank and covers. They look amazing!
 
Back
Top